Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #2476
O'Dandelo
practical experience, FTW

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Rejection from Shock Totem today. Super Gluing myself back together for the rest of the evening.
O'Dandelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #2477
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Chewed up and spat out at ASIM. I've just come to realize--perhaps far later than most--that the more you like a story the more it stings. And the better you get the more you like a story. What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #2478
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?
Ha ha, marzioli, I have wondered that over the years; cursed with the quality of persistence. I've only come to writing in the last year, but the question still occurs to me, based on persistence in other things which I later regretted.

Some of us just aren't happy unless we are creating though, so I guess its the act itself that keeps us going.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #2479
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*hugs for everyone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?
I don't think of it as torture, because a lot of learning from life comes from our failures -- in fact, I'd say we learn more from our failures than from our successes.

The biggest thing to remember is that editors have their unique tastes too, and they publish what they like; sometimes what they like isn't the same thing that you like. But that's okay, because there's bound to be an editor who shares similar interests with you.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #2480
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Yeah, ((((hugs)))) for everyone from me too.

I don't think of it as torture either.
If it was I wouldn't do it.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #2481
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
So I ended up sending something to "Nine" last night. Got a personal R this afternoon with an encouragement to send more stuff (though I think I should still wait a week to submit again, as that's what it says in their guidelines).

Still no idea who they are. The R was signed "The Editors"
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #2482
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Oh, sure, I like the fact that rejections lead to further development of stories and talent, but I'd prefer it if I was at the top of the game already. And I definitely agree with you fihr. I'm driven on by the creative impulse, ramifications be damned. It's obviously fun, too, but I compare the process to love. If I don't hurt some when they tell you they don't like it, I probably wasn't properly invested.

Also, sorry about the R, Alex.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #2483
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
If I don't hurt some when they tell you they don't like it, I probably wasn't properly invested.
That must make me a playa, then.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #2484
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
That must make me a playa, then.
Lol, yeah, you're just looking to get your manuscript wet.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #2485
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
I have a stupid question which might make you all roll your eyes and never speak to me again (sigh), BUT.... Ok, I know if you post something on a blog (even in the comments section) you lose first rights and some places won't take it (say Every Day Fiction). What if you take that story and add things to it (over 200 words). It has the basic story, but it has more details? Can it be submitted somewhere else (like EDF) that require first rights?

*hangs her head in shame*

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #2486
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthatmomagain View Post
I have a stupid question which might make you all roll your eyes and never speak to me again (sigh), BUT.... Ok, I know if you post something on a blog (even in the comments section) you lose first rights and some places won't take it (say Every Day Fiction). What if you take that story and add things to it (over 200 words). It has the basic story, but it has more details? Can it be submitted somewhere else (like EDF) that require first rights?

*hangs her head in shame*
No shame in asking. I actually asked a similar question here. Basically, just be upfront to the editor and tell them that this story was once published on your blog (hopefully you took it down), and then let them decide if they still want it or not.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #2487
ohthatmomagain

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
Thanks I clicked on your thread. It make sense. I probably won't try to send it to EDF for 'moral' issues, but I know a site that will take 'previously published' if you tell them about it, so I'll go that way.

Live and learn

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #2488
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's very sad. We're writers. )-:

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #2489
ohthatmomagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
It's very sad. We're writers. )-:
The highs are high, but the lows.... oh the lows

Kinda like the lottery lol

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #2490
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
Just got a rejection from Lightspeed for a piece I sent to them yesterday. Their site did say that they usually try to get things back after a few days, so I'm not taking it as a sign that it evoked instant revulsion, but still. I don't even have the next market decided on yet!
I guess their name is pretty appropriate.

My Flash Fiction Blog (Last updated 12/27/12: "On Speaking With Ghosts)
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #2491
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Their name is very appropriate. I've had stuff back from them the same day I sent it.

I don't take it personally, I just send it back out.

Have you checked their stats on duotrope? You'll see how quick they are.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #2492
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
"..so I'm not taking it as a sign that it evoked instant revulsion, but still." - TaylorV

Commiserations - and definitely don't read revulsion into it (unless you think its revolting in some way). I've had 90 day final round and two day rejections for the same story, and compliments, and form rejections. Can't read anything into any of it, except where they supply specific comments. (Which are always helpful - I've biased my submissions to places that do give a line or two of feedback where possible, since I'm hoping to learn from them. After having had them critted here and elsewhere too, before sending them out.)
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #2493
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm finally getting responses! All Rs, unfortunately. I think I've gotten 4/4 responses in 2012 being Rs? So not a good start to the year.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #2494
ohthatmomagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
I'm finally getting responses! All Rs, unfortunately. I think I've gotten 4/4 responses in 2012 being Rs? So not a good start to the year.
It's better than not sending them out.

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #2495
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I definitely have a talent for Crickets of Obscene Longevity. Sigh.

Three pieces out. Max time at duotrope on one (over 4x avg response), 3x avg on the second, and not quite 2x avg on the third. I hate querying, but it might be time to send out a couple.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2496
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm all crickets too. But not obscenely long yet, just annoying. Waiting for response from Apex, Goldfish Grimm's, Stupefying Stories and Every Day Fiction. The rest are still too far out to contemplate a response yet. :P
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #2497
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
I'm all crickets too. But not obscenely long yet, just annoying. Waiting for response from Apex
I might have asked already, but how many days are you out at Apex?

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #2498
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
A lot of my stuff right now is out at places that won't get back to me for a few months yet, like The James White Award, Writers of the Future, and Woman's World, so I'm trying not to think about those stories too much. I need to write more stuff!

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #2499
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I might have asked already, but how many days are you out at Apex?
Nine days. Not enough to really worry about it. But (looking at some of the reported responses) probably right in the middle of getting flushed out of slush. :P We'll see.
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #2500
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Hugs to all my fellow rejectees!
O'Dandelo is offline   Reply With Quote