Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jessica Verday, described on her blog as 'the New York Times bestselling author of THE HAUNTED', has pulled a story from an anthology because the publishers required to to change the story from same-sex to heterosexual:

I've received a lot of questions and comments about why I'm no longer a part of the WICKED PRETTY THINGS anthology (US: Running Press, UK: Constable & Robinson) and I've debated the best way to explain why I pulled out of this anthology. The simple reason? I was told that the story I'd wrote, which features Wesley (a boy) and Cameron (a boy), who were both in love with each other, would have to be published as a male/female story because a male/male story would not be acceptable to the publishers.

Props to Ms Verday, whose books I shall now look to buy. Running Press/Constable & Robinson are now on my Do Not Buy list.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer about the book, has a ton of authors I love. Kudos to her for not "straightening" her story (as an author, um, how could you even do that to a polished story? Change the gender and sexuality of the characters? Like two gay dudes is equivalent to a straight couple...characterization fail.) How weird that they wouldn't include just two gay characters in an anthology about fairy romance.

I posted the link on the FB page of one of the antho authors that I have met and I know is super pro-LGBT.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't the publisher specify what they were looking for? I'm a little confused, because whenever I see a call for an anthology, the publisher usually specifies what they want like m/m, m/f, m/m/f, well you get the idea. Or for some calls, it doesn't matter since they tend to mix it up a bit leaving it open to the author.

Kitty- I agree. It would be very hard to just switch genders and make it work.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's disappointing. Good for her for not giving in to the publisher's demands! Speaking as a young gay person, people like me need more books and stories about characters like us.

It's also very puzzling to hear, since Running Press has also published anthologies edited by Cecilia Tan, who is also the publisher of Circlet Press, which is extremely LGBT-friendly.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I'm glad she stayed true to her story and characters. But I'm disappointed in the publisher for making such a narrow-minded choice. What are they thinking? That there's no market for gay romance?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Good for her.

Yesterday I was in the Scripts section of AW, and read a thread about production companies forcing their own vision onto a completed script in the manner of required rewrites. I immediately started worrying that I could come close to success with the script I'm working on right now, which involves a lesbian and a bisexual girl getting together, as well as a straight couple getting together - and then have it snatched away by my ethics if the movie company decided they didn't want any F/F elements in the movie.

I eventually did decide that if that happened, I'd turn down the offer and keep my F/F movie. Now I feel all warm and validated to hear that a respected author did essentially the same thing with her M/M story.

:)

(But yes, that publisher needs to rethink a few things...)

Invincibility

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't the publisher specify what they were looking for? I'm a little confused, because whenever I see a call for an anthology, the publisher usually specifies what they want like m/m, m/f, m/m/f, well you get the idea. Or for some calls, it doesn't matter since they tend to mix it up a bit leaving it open to the author.
It doesn't look like it was a smut anthology, though.

I've sent an angry letter to the publisher, and encouraged my friends to do the same.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
As someone who writes m/m, this irritates me. I'll send an angry letter too.

Also posting on facebook and encouraging re-posting and re-tweeting.

I also contacted http://www.hrc.org/ about this - as they have a huge reach - and this breach of respect for LGBT customers. I hope they run a news report on it!

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it was a smut anthology, though.

I've sent an angry letter to the publisher, and encouraged my friends to do the same.

Smut anthology? Who said anything about it being a 'smut' anthology?

I used what I wrote as an example of different type of relationships. M/M, M/F, M/M/F, F/F can mean relationships and romance. My orginal point was that whenever I have spotted an anthology call, it specified what it wanted.

Last edited:

Invincibility

Registered
Reaction score
Smut anthology? Who said anything about it being a 'smut' anthology?

I used what I wrote as an example of different type of relationships. M/M, M/F, M/M/F, F/F can mean relationships and romance. My orginal point was that whenever I have spotted an anthology call, it specified what it wanted.
Well, I couldn't figure out why the genders involved in a pairing would matter unless it was smut. If the publisher didn't specify anything, then it seems logical to assume that they aren't discriminating, right?

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
The editor responded to Jessica's blog post (I am not sure if it really IS the editor, but... here is the message anyway):

"Trisha Telep said...
Oh dear. Might as well give you my two cents. Not that it really matters but... Don't take it out on the publishers, the decision was mine totally. These teen anthologies I do are light on the sex and light on the language. I assumed they'd be light on alternative sexuality, as well. Turns out I was wrong! Just after I had the kerfuffle with jessica, I was told that the publishers would have loved the story to appear in the book! Oh dear. My rashness will be the death of me. It's a great story. Hope jessica publishes it online. (By the way: if you want to see a you tube video of me wrestling a gay man in Glasgow, and losing, please let me know).

MARCH 22, 2011 8:13 AM"

I don't really like the fact that she calls homosexual relationships "alternative sexualities" and seems to compare it to the inappropriateness of sex and profanity for the audience. Love is love, it's not something that's disgusting or inappropriate...

The implication is that it was axed because it was m/m, like that's wrong, not because it was racy or profane (also wrong in the editor's eyes), but I suppose we'll never know unless she posts it.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't figure out why the genders involved in a pairing would matter unless it was smut. If the publisher didn't specify anything, then it seems logical to assume that they aren't discriminating, right?

But it does if they are targeting a certain audience. Not everyone is going to want to read a gay romance, just like others are not going to want to read a straight romance or whatever. I can count on one hand anthologies that have mixed the two together(that I'm aware of).

I agree, if they didn't specify this just seems so odd. That's what has me confused.

ETA: Well it's been explained in the post above mind. It was the editor's decision and not the publishers. If that was in fact the editor...

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If that actually is the editor (and if it's a blog comment, who knows?), can I just state for the record: as much as "But I have gay friends!" is a pathetic thing to say in a discussion, "But I once wrestled a gay man!" is far, far worse. That alone makes me think this might be a pranker and not the real person? ETA: Apparently she really did say that. Sigh.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
If that actually is the editor (and if it's a blog comment, who knows?), can I just state for the record: as much as "But I have gay friends!" is a pathetic thing to say in a discussion, "But I once wrestled a gay man!" is far, far worse. That alone makes me think this might be a pranker and not the real person?

Agreed.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I'm glad the publisher wouldn't have had a problem with it, at least, but... it quite bothers me that the editor didn't even bother to check before nixing it. That says a good deal about her own views, IMO.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
It is the real person. Trisha even mentions it on her Twitter. What really pisses me off about this, is that the editor used her own prejudices to block the story from getting to the publishers, who she says wouldn't have a problem with it anyway. Then why the hell did you block it from being published by telling her to change the whole characterisation?

She doesn't come across as being sincere at all in that apology. And the bit at the end "Wanna see me touch a gay man? See how open minded I am, honest not a homophobia honest sweetie!" ugh patronising as hell.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it was just a statement for damage control and not sincere, or that's what I got from it.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like most of the authors have pulled out of this anthology due to the editor trying to censor this author. Particularly http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/337562.html?view=12730010#t12730010. Also Lesley Livingston, Karen Mahoney, Lisa Mantchev, Brenna Yovanoff and two other authors, Saundra Mitchell and Ann Aguirre, have withdrawn stories from other anthologies edited by Telep Other authors, including Caitlin Kittredge, have said they won't be submitting further stories to this editor or publisher. Melissa Marr has asked that her name be removed from endorsement.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this link. It explains at what point she was asked to change the story. Given the fact she was already accepted, and it did not come until they started editing, I find it so freaking weird.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, this editor has gotten some real backlash from Authors, hopefully this will be a lesson for her. I hope the publisher will release a statement or something, 'cause this is really bad press for them.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like most of the authors have pulled out of this anthology due to the editor trying to censor this author. Particularly http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/337562.html?view=12730010#t12730010. Also Lesley Livingston, Karen Mahoney, Lisa Mantchev, Brenna Yovanoff and two other authors, Saundra Mitchell and Ann Aguirre, have withdrawn stories from other anthologies edited by Telep Other authors, including Caitlin Kittredge, have said they won't be submitting further stories to this editor or publisher. Melissa Marr has asked that her name be removed from endorsement.

Wow, I'm impressed with all these authors, gay and straight, standing up. It really gives me hope that a lot of people are rejecting the notion that stories about certain types of people are by definition off-limits for YA. At least two of the authors you mentioned up there are AWers too :D Thanks ladies!

PS That post made me really really want to read a Seanan Mcguire book, like really really seriously, more than all the times someone recommended her books to me.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed with all these authors, gay and straight, standing up. It really gives me hope that a lot of people are rejecting the notion that stories about certain types of people are by definition off-limits for YA. At least two of the authors you mentioned up there are AWers too :D Thanks ladies!

PS That post made me really really want to read a Seanan Mcguire book, like really really seriously, more than all the times someone recommended her books to me.

Me too. I've only heard of a few of these authors so I'm going to put some to my Amazon wishlist now and put some samples on my kindle if possible. I am impressed too. I read a statement by the publisher on Jessica's website and it turns out they are 100% behind Telep even though they don't support her views. This is disappointing to me as a reader.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seanan Mcguire is awesome personified, both as a person and writer. LOVE her books.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Seanan McGuire bookmark I picked up at Norwescon last year, and I've heard/read other people online recommending her books. I'll have to add her to my TBR list, even though it's getting embarrassingly long(er).

Status
Not open for further replies.