Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
This FaceBook playwright is not amused by PA's grab for writer money:

http://www.facebook.com/vintageplayhouse#!/profile.php?id=1457877981&v=wall

Watch out for Publish America's latest scam. They will list your book on Amazon Studios for $99.00 when you can do it yourself by going directly to Amazon Studios. Plus they (PA) will take 1/2 of your winnings.....there's a sucker born every (minute)"

I have just listed a script on Amazonstudios.com PA is playing everyone for a fool....can't believe how desperate people can be to fall for the obvious BS they put out. Lawrence, stay away from those crooks...wish I had...

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I searched for Amazon at the PA bookstore and found these two items:

http://www.publishamerica.net/product37376.html 99.00

http://www.publishamerica.net/product37377.html 119.00

Same product description:
Amazon, Warner Bros want your story for Hollywood!
Product Description
Click Add to cart, choose a shipping option to start the activation. In the Ordering Instructions box be sure to mention the title of your book. If your book has not yet been released, add "Pre-release!" By activating your book's submission to Amazon Studios you authorize PublishAmerica to act on your behalf and you agree that this constitutes your consent in writing.

Valid for one book at a time only. No coupons allowed. After we have received your activation you will be contacted about how to add your book's list of characters and a film synopsis.

Ugh. I hope there aren't too many folks who fall for this crap.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm--where have we seen a similar "offer?"

Usually they're those tiny ads in the backs of magazines and they read like this:

Get paid to read books!!

You love to read, so why not get paid to do it? Publishers need discerning readers to help them sort through hundreds of books. Your choices can influence thousands and put money in the bank!

Just send Gillhoughly a one-time check for 99.95 and you'll get the insider's secret on how to make barrels of cash from reading books!

The secret being a list of publishers with slush piles--which are read by whatever assistant editors, already underpaid and wearing a dozen hats in their understaffed office, are doing anyway.

But, hey--I get to keep that 99.95! I did say it would put money in the bank.

My bank, that is.

Wonder where PA is stowing their checks from this farce--or is Willie flying it all out of the country?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Amazon Studios, ladies and gentlemen!

You can submit your work yourself for free, or you can pay PublishAmerica to submit it, and give them a half-share in everything. (That's what folks call a win-win situation, at least if you're Miranda and Larry.)

I wonder if they noticed that Amazon Studios isn't looking for books at all? They want screenplays or films.

Oh, I get it! You pay PublishAmerica $99 for the chance to write a screenplay yourself based on your own book!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Or you pay a ridiculous amount to PA to have one of their Professional Experienced Editors to reformat your book into a screenplay first.

Then pay another fee to have PA submit it to Amazon Studios.

Nice, that.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Since his 137-page PA book ($24.95 and "temporarily out of stock" at Amazon.com.) has been out for a year, he no doubt is aware by now that PA isn't a reputable publisher.

I have to say, I have deep respect and admiration for any PA-author who - once they realize what's really going on - decides to speak out about it. If it were me I'm quite certain I would be too horrified and stupidly proud to admit what had happened to anyone but myself.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm assuming the WB offer is PA sending the writers books to the studio?
The writers don't stop to wonder WHY that would cost $100!

No, I believe that it's Amazon Studios

That's a contest where if you send your screen play to Amazon, they offer prizes, and:

Amazon Studios has a first-look deal with Warner Bros. Pictures, which means we'll be presenting our top projects to Hollywood's biggest studio for consideration as theatrical feature films. And winners of the Amazon Studios Annual Awards won't just get money—they'll also get a meeting with Warner Bros. development executives.

Essentially, PA is asking their authors to pay $100 and half of any winnings to enter a contest that they could enter themselves for free. We're seeing the PA authors who pay the money being told to write their own screenplays anyway.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Essentially, PA is asking their authors to pay $100 and half of any winnings to enter a contest that they could enter themselves for free. We're seeing the PA authors who pay the money being told to write their own screenplays anyway.

At least they didn't pay to get published, eh?

Seriously, I do feel for these authors. This isn't how the publishing business is supposed to work.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A friend sent me a copy of the mail PA sent out.

I hardly need mention that Amazon isn't charging a fee that I can see, but PA is gouging their writers, as usual.

Bolding is mine--indicating how PA justifies that 99.00 fee. I expect the "reworking" means they run it through spell check and accept all changes.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear author:

Amazon.com has done it again. Now they have started Amazon Studios, and they want to see if your book's manuscript is their (and Warner Bros. Pictures'!) next movie.

Basically, Amazon is now also entering the movie business, and they are crowdsourcing it, shopping among original story tellers like yourself. They have given Warner Bros. the right of first refusal.

(I'm sure the WB is thrilled to bits about that and have their fingers hovering over the delete key even as I write. IF they even bother to go to Amazon for a look-see. - Gill)

From Tuesday's Amazon Studios announcement:

"We are excited to introduce writers, filmmakers and movie lovers to Amazon Studios [...] It is the goal of Amazon Studios to produce new, full-budget theatrical films based on the best projects and it will give Warner Bros. Pictures first access to the projects Amazon Studios wishes to produce in cooperation with an outside studio."

The Amazon Studio deals include rights payments of $200,000 for winning submissions, and a $400,000 bonus "if the movie makes over $60 million at the U.S. box office".

(WHAT A RIPOFF!!!)

It also awards prizes of $20,000 for the two best scripts in a month even if they don't become a movie. See for all details https://www.amazon.com/?tag=absowrit-20.

Here's how it works:

Together with you we'll rework your manuscript a little, then we submit it to Amazon Studios for their contest, following their guidelines. They award prizes monthly.

Activate your entry for Amazon Studios today: go to http://www.publishamerica.net/AmazonWarnerBros1.html, click Add to cart, choose a shipping option to start the activation. In the Ordering Instructions box be sure to mention the title of your book. If your book has not yet been released, add "Pre-release!"

By activating your book's submission to Amazon Studios you authorize PublishAmerica to act on your behalf and you agree that this constitutes your consent in writing.

(How about putting THAT in writing in a proper contract? You won't do it, though. That would cost PA postage money, and besides, you're likely confident that no script from any of your writers has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. - Gill)

After we have received your activation you will be contacted about adding your book's list of characters and a film synopsis.

(And how much will THAT cost?-- Gill)

See you in Hollywood! (Sometime after hell freezes over.-- Gill)

--PublishAmerica Bookstore

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear PA Writer,

PA is NOT being altruistic--they want 99.00 from you for something you can do yourself for free.

If they thought you had the remotest chance of winning, they would want a piece of that pie, at least half of it, and would tie you up with another contract.

Sorry, mate, but you're out 99.00 of Christmas present money and PA will be laughing all the way to the bank for putting another one over on you.

I don't know how they can sleep at night. Must be freeing to be such bald-faced sociopaths.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
>PA is asking their authors to pay $100 and half of any winnings to enter a contest that they could enter themselves for free. We're seeing the PA authors who pay the money being told to write their own screenplays anyway.<

James, that's so much worse then I expected from them. They never cease to amaze and discust!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me they've done this sort of thing before, adding to an entry fee to enter a contest or adding an entry fee where there wasn't one, with a contest an author could have entered by themselves. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think so.

The new wrinkle is, of course, telling them to write their own screenplays. That seems to me like a whole bunch of effort that will amount to nothing, in the end. No film will be produced from it. In the end, they'll have a trunk screenplay, and have maybe done some homework about how to write in a format they may never wish to write in again. It just smacks of wasted effort, to me.

So much of PA is about lying and unethical practices, though. They just seem to sink to new lows all the time.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So much of PA is about lying and unethical practices, though. They just seem to sink to new lows all the time.

ALL of PA is about getting as much money from the writers before the writers wise up.

What next PA? Please do surprise the folk here who have what you don't: a moral compass.

Hm. It occurs to me the Stooges are unfamiliar with the term.

Here's a picture for you guys--and hey--if you decide you want to get one, these things are FREE!

moral_compass.gif

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSlave
What is the definition of "a little?"

"We'll run the spell-checker again."

Well after they run spell-checker again and changes words like Herr to her or heir. I had 3 errors in my manuscript when I sent it to them (that I caught after the fact). After I caught 36 errors in formating, they still added 23 more errors like Herr to Heir.

Real good editing staff. :ROFL:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one will either get cornfielded or a tone-letter response, since the thread title is "PA please tell me you did not mislead me!!!!"
I just want to know if anyone else paid to have their book to be turned into a screenplay / Movie Script. I saw my book on Amazon Studios and selected the scripts so I could view my movie script only to see my book was uploaded as one. Now I find this unfair because it is not what I paid for. I have emailed the person several times about this and have yet to get a response. Now you fellow authors what you would you do? Ask for a refund? Or hope that PA would be honest since they stated they would follow Amazons contest guidelines. All submissions should be script formatted. and characters centered. As if an actor was reading it to audition for a movie. Unfortunately mine is not. I don't know about any others that was sent but I am sure PA sent them the same way. Come on PA I know what a script looks like. Before my agent sends me on an audition they send me the movie script so I can rehearse my lines. So I can know the part I am auditioning for. If they sent me a book that would confuse me. I believe we should get what we pay for.
Oh, dear.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
PA banned from Amazon's script contest?

Following a link from SD's blog led to this very interesting post.

http://theauditorz.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/scams-and-flams/

Seems after a number of complaints about only books being uploaded by PA, rather then original scripts, Amazon had to take some sort of action and has banned PA from submitting further. At least, that's what I am understanding from the info.

Scribble10

Registered
Reaction score
Quote:...I hope these writers get their $99 dollars back...

I'm guessing that will be a NO!

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
For sure it will be a big NO. PA will have to on PAMB guard though, many of those that did pay for the script contest will be searching, seeing their work gone from the contest and posting to ask why.
What I do see now though on Amazon Studio's Script Contest is a new profile called "Publish America Acquisitions", created Mar 14 and with no scripts posted yet.
Not sure if PA has created another name in order to try posting the books again or what. They may fear that this sort of thing could really look like a scam. It's either post the stuff again and hope nobody squeals on them that they are books, not scripts, or refund the money.