Why you won't be a Kindle millionaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Self-publishing for e-readers has been very lucrative for a small a small group of authors in the last few months. However, for the vast majority of authors trying to sell books, self-publishing won't bring much exposure and it won't earn them much money.

The case-studies for self-publishing success are J.A. Konrath and Amanda Hocking. These two authors have been very good at self-promotion and their books are better than virtually all their self-published competition. These authors distinguish themselves from commercially-published authors on the basis of price; their books cost $3 or less.

Amazon pays a 70% royalty to authors who self-publish on Kindle and sell their books for between $2.99 and $9.99. By contrast, a hardcover royalty is usually 10-15% of the cover price and a mass-market royalty is usually 6-8% of the cover price. That means a royalty on a $3 e-book is close to the same as an author earns selling a $15 hardcover (which has a $25 cover price).

$2.99 was a great opportunity when very few people were selling books in that price range. This high royalty made it very easy for self-published authors to undercut the price of commercially-published books, because these authors were able to keep a much larger percentage of their readers' money. This arrangement was also very beneficial for Amazon and BN because it attracted a huge cadre of value-conscious consumers to e-reader platforms. However, Amanda Hocking's success story is now common knowledge, and everyone with an unpublished novel believes they can replicate that success.

These authors don't have the imprimatur of New York publishers. They don't have authoritative praise from critics or famous authors. They don't even have professionally-designed book covers. So they use price to compete.

That means it's very hard for an unknown self-published author to price a book at $2.99 right now; most other self-published books that are ranked high in Kindle sales are priced at $0.99. But if you sell a book at $0.99, you get only a 30% royalty, or 33 cents per copy. It's very difficult to earn a substantial amount of money at that price, with that royalty, and the 70% royalty is no longer the game changer it seemed to be six months ago because most authors can't earn it.

E-book growth has been huge in the past few years, but we shouldn't overstate its market-share. For a published author, bookstores are still roughly 70% of the market, and e-books are only about half of online sales.

That means that, while a $.99 cent self-published John Locke title may be selling as many e-books as the new Michael Connelly, the Connelly book is selling the same number in hardcover as it is in e-books on Amazon. And brick and mortar bookstores represent nearly triple the total online sales.

Meanwhile, the attractive 70% royalty rate doesn't benefit Locke, because that rate only applies to books priced between $2.99 and $9.99. An author of a bestselling hardcover like Connelly makes ten times Locke's per-copy royalty, and sells five times as many copies.

Locke claims he sells an e-book every ten seconds. If that's true, he'll sell about three million copies in a year and he'll earn a million dollars. That's ten times as many copies as a commercially published author has to sell to make the same money.

Self-publishing on Kindle, for most authors of fiction, is likely to become a stepping-stone to real publication rather than a viable business in its own right. The model going forward will most likely force authors to price at $0.99, in hopes of garnering significant sales that will attract an agent and publishers, and then a real book deal.

Nearly everyone who can publish with a commercial publisher goes that route, especially in fiction. And there are good reasons why this is the case.

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
Isn't the sale of just one book a big deal? Yeah, most people need to have a full time job to pay the bills. I can't speak for other writers, but I'm not in it to make a million from Kindle sales - I'm in it to share. It feels good and I'm good at it.

When people stop taking things so seriously and acknowledge that we're all here for a short visit - things become a lot less dramatic. There's no reason not to do what you love - regardless what it pays. I've been homeless and lived off a single string cheese a day - we don't need near as much as we think we do. Life's an adventure.

HisBoyElroy

Conqueror Worm
Registered
Reaction score
Is becoming a millionaire the baseline criteria now for doing a thing? Here's a thread for you: Why you're not going to become a millionaire, period. Kindle or otherwise. Quit now!

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I generally think traditional publishing IS a better deal for the majority of authors at the start of their career, but it really all depends on what individual writer's goals are.

This was interesting, though. I don't think we've shaken out the Future of Self-Pubbed E-Books (and how it affects tradition publishing) at this point, but I think there are some valid points here about this particular moment in time.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Is becoming a millionaire the baseline criteria now for doing a thing? Here's a thread for you: Why you're not going to become a millionaire, period. Kindle or otherwise. Quit now!

This entire debate--if it could be called that-- has essentially devolved into one faction being unable to let other people do what they think best for their own careers.

Speaking of which--

I like your blog, David...you had me at Andy Jackson and cinched the deal with Harryhausen.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Whether or not something has the potential to eventually make me a millionaire is pretty much the baseline for everything I do. But that's because a million dollars by the time I'm retiring in 40 years will, if inflation remains consistent, probably have the buying power of $250-300k.

But anyway, back on topic...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
it really all depends on what individual writer's goals are.

Exactly. I won't denigrate any writer merely for self-publishing. Nor any writer who doesn't make a million off their writing.

I think there are basically three problems for the self-publisher, no matter what the medium.

1 - anybody can do it - which means the good books/writers face an uphill battle from the git-go, just from the "I'm not one of those!" points of view.

2 - learning and executing the business and mechanics of publishing. It takes a lot of time and a lot of energy.

3 - exposure. They don't have as many resources available to them as commercial publishers.

I suppose a fourth could be start-up funding, but that's relative to one's personal resources, I suppose.

Writers, regardless of what route they take, need to educate themselves about the realities of the undertaking. That's the business end of writing.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree with AlwaysJuly about both the good points in the OP and the million-dollar target benchmark on professional undertakings.

To me, e-self-pubbing is one of those new systems that are still under development. We really don't know yet what its best use ultimately will be. I see it as just another tool in a writer's kit for getting work to market and how it gets used should be determined by the needs of the writer's career at any given time. But for now, it's still basically at the tinkering stage when people are testing out what it can do and finding its strengths and weaknesses.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
They don't have authoritative praise from critics or famous authors.

When it comes to books there are few things more aggravating to me then walking into a bookstore, picking up a book, turning it around ... and there is nothing but "great read" & "rollicking good fun" and whatever other meaningless blurb they can come up with. And not a single word of what the book is actually about.

Now, with hardcovers you might find some info on the inside flaps of the dust jacket. But with paperbacks you are out of luck.

I don't care one bit if that book has great reviews or not ... I want to know what it is about, and the praise on the back doesn't tell me that.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
These authors distinguish themselves from commercially-published authors on the basis of price; their books cost $3 or less.

Boy, someone really needs to tell Konrath he's not a commercially-published author.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
We're still in the vacuum-filling stage of the ebook boom. (Though it's only the self-pubbed books that are $2.99 and $.99). E-readers are new and shiny and right now people are glutting on ebooks. Eventually, that first burst will piffle out and things will settle into equilibrium. Buyers will become more discerning if for no other reason than they've already bought up the back catalog of ebooks they wanted.

There's another component to this that I'm not sure people have considered, either.

Say, foe self-pubbed books, that $.99 becomes the standard, or even the $2.99 price point does. that 70% royalty rate sounds awesome, and if you sell enough, it is, no question. But here's where it helps to remember history lest it repeat itself.

What Amazon is doing with those price points is the same principle that oil and railroad "barons" (and the other mega-rich monopolists before them) employed. You set your price so low that the competition can't compete and drive them into the dirt. Once they're gone, you control the market unopposed and can set the prices however you like. In other words, if the competition goes away, the prices go up.

Now, I actually don't see Amazon raising their ebook prices above the 2.99 and .99 mark, but they have another avenue to increase revenue where the public gets to keep those price points that Amazon has convinced them are the norm... they drop the royalty rate.

The public doesn't care; they still pay the same. Amazon still sells books. There's no law saying they have to maintain that 70% rate any longer than they choose. They can arbitrarily slice it in half, or more, still cheer that it's more than the author was making with the Big 6, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Saul Tanpepper

writer of spec fic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tanpepperwrites.com
"Nearly everyone who can publish with a commercial publisher goes that route, especially in fiction. And there are good reasons why this is the case."

While we may hold these truths to be self evident now, the market is shifting. We're undergoing a global upheaval that not only is changing how people read (and on what format), but what they read, how they pruchase it, how it's delivered, how it's marketed to them, how they share it... and the list goes on. There is a clear movement towards digital, and authors now have access to new ways to publishing a book that they didn't have before. They can shorten the timelines and control the process. The royalties are better. I don't like that there's a lot of crap getting self-published, but it's not a reason to shy away from it. As this gains traction, readers will (and they already have to some extent) figured out ways to vet what they buy. When the dust settles, self-puubing (either exclusively digital or POD or some combination of both) will become as entrenched and as accepted as traditional, and unless traditional houses change their royalty structures, they're going to quickly go extinct.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
I don't care one bit if that book has great reviews or not ... I want to know what it is about, and the praise on the back doesn't tell me that.

About reviews - first of all, readers can post a good or damning review of a book. Of course, some readers are better reviewers than others, and a lot of self-published writers will ask their family and friends to chime in, but if a writer gets a lot of positive reviews, it means more to me than a commercially published book with raves from known authors - I don't want to sound cynical, but there are quite a few writers who joyfully endorse books from fellow authors on a quid pro quo basis that doesn't make their review any worthier than that of a self-pubbed author's family and friends review.

Second of all, I have an independent review by Publisher Weekly, even though my manuscript isn't even available/published yet. Why? Because I made it into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Quarterfinals. All 250 manuscripts who reached that round were independently reviewed by Publisher Weekly. I'm allowed to use that review for promotion.

Third, there are several bookreviewers and bookbloggers who will read submitted self-published books and review them on their blog. Most of these bloggers will not pander to the author [as Jacqueline Howett found out to her chagrin], but their reviews [on several points] will help readers with selecting the cream from the dross.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
The case-studies for self-publishing success are J.A. Konrath and Amanda Hocking.

Well, Amanda Hocking. But J. A. Konrath was commercially published first, so I don't think he's a good example.

I think your post title could have been, "Why you probably won't make $100 with your Kindle book" and it would be just as accurate.

But it should also be noted that the statement refers to people who just write a book, slap it up on Kindle and wait for the orders to roll in. Someone with experience in marketing and self-promotion could fare better (or someone willing to learn these things), as long as the book is decent and about something people want to read. Without a following, a lot of promotion and a book that sparks a huge word-of-mouth campaign, it's unlikely a writer will sell more than a few books.

My feeling, and maybe I'm naive, is that that many people who come to a board like this actually do some research and know the odds. They're more likely to work hard to get a book to a high standard, work to promote it and keep working at it. So they may do at least a little better than most, who sell a few books to family and friends and then fall to the bottom of the pile.

Commercial publishing, though, is going to be the best way for most people who want to be published and more widely read.

Shelley

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
When it comes to books there are few things more aggravating to me then walking into a bookstore, picking up a book, turning it around ... and there is nothing but "great read" & "rollicking good fun" and whatever other meaningless blurb they can come up with. And not a single word of what the book is actually about.

Now, with hardcovers you might find some info on the inside flaps of the dust jacket. But with paperbacks you are out of luck.

You've noticed that too? I've seen A LOT of that lately. What gives?!

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to sound cynical, but there are quite a few writers who joyfully endorse books from fellow authors on a quid pro quo basis that doesn't make their review any worthier than that of a self-pubbed author's family and friends review.

Oh, DO be cynical. I worked in a library shelving books and saw enough of those famous-author blurbs to doubt the famous author ever read the book they were raving about. I remember a blurb by one of my very favorite authors that said simply, "This book is really good." I had to stifle my laughter over that one. Needless to say, even though the book was free and the blurb by an author I adored, I never did check it out to read.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

Blurbs are very important for first novels, because the author's name is unknown. The blurbs (along with trade reviews) help generate review attention in the mainstream press, and drive bookseller orders.

If the first book gets good reviews, in many cases, subsequent books will use pull-quotes from reviews instead of blurbs by authors.

I try to only read very good books, so I rely on reviews to point me at the best stuff. You can also tell, by the way publishers position titles, which books they're enthusiastic about.

Last edited:

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME post, djf881. I've been trying to explain this to people who've been encouraging me to self-publish my historical fiction as e-books. They are well-meaning, but they're not getting it. May I send them your post as a way of explaining where I'm coming from (with credit to you, of course)?

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME post, djf881. I've been trying to explain this to people who've been encouraging me to self-publish my historical fiction as e-books. They are well-meaning, but they're not getting it. May I send them your post as a way of explaining where I'm coming from (with credit to you, of course)?

Sure.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
An accurate title for another AW post: Why you won't be a millionaire if commercially-published.

Making a fortune as a writer is always long odds. I was a writer long before there were e-readers and I've personally known many commercially-published fiction writers and none of them have been millionaires. (Well, one. But he made his money with his day job, not his writing.) Most of my full-time writing friends have struggled to pay the bills during their entire professional lives.

It's a cold, hard fact: If you're in it for the money, writing is a tough gig.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
An accurate title for another AW post: Why you won't be a millionaire if commercially-published.

Making a fortune as a writer is always long odds. I was a writer long before there were e-readers and I've personally known many commercially-published fiction writers and none of them have been millionaires. (Well, one. But he made his money with his day job, not his writing.) Most of my full-time writing friends have struggled to pay the bills during their entire professional lives.

It's a cold, hard fact: If you're in it for the money, writing is a tough gig.

The million dollars is just a title. Most authors who self-publish on Kindle won't get paid at all.

Pricing at $0.99 with a 30% royalty, most authors self-publishing on Kindle would be lucky to earn $100 for a novel.

To earn the million at $0.99, you have to move Dan Brown's volume while you're cut off from 80-90% of Dan Brown's market. And when Dan Brown moves Dan Brown's volume, he gets TENS of millions.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Blurbs are very important for first novels, because the author's name is unknown. The blurbs (along with trade reviews) help generate review attention in the mainstream press, and drive bookseller orders.

If the first book gets good reviews, in many cases, subsequent books will use pull-quotes from reviews instead of blurbs by authors.

I try to only read very good books, so I rely on reviews to point me at the best stuff. You can also tell, by the way publishers position titles, which books they're enthusiastic about.

I don't think you understood what I said. Reviews are all fine and dandy, but the back cover of a book is not the place to plaster them all over. The back cover is where you put a brief synopsis of the book, so that the reader can decide if the content of the book is interesting enough to buy it.

Or is it really enough for you that Publishers Weekly, Famous Writer X or Local No Name Art Magazine said the book is good and that is it? You'd buy a book without knowing what it is about, just because some random PR person said it was good?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you understood what I said. Reviews are all fine and dandy, but the back cover of a book is not the place to plaster them all over. The back cover is where you put a brief synopsis of the book, so that the reader can decide if the content of the book is interesting enough to buy it.

Or is it really enough for you that Publishers Weekly, Famous Writer X or Local No Name Art Magazine said the book is good and that is it? You'd buy a book without knowing what it is about, just because some random PR person said it was good?

Not in a million years. No more than I'd see a movie I know nothing about just because some well-known critic gave it a thumbs-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.