Analog/Asimov's Forums Down Indefinitely

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The Analog and Asimov's magazine forums have shut down indefinitely apparently due to the antics of a single troll who managed to post vile and offensive images on the forums and earn the ire of the Admins and the owner.

I'd like to offer my sincere condolences to the old forums and the many, many interesting conversations which took place therein.

I'd also like to offer an open invite, if it please the Mods hereupon AW, to the members of ASF and Asimov's to join us here on AW, at least until the forums reopen (I have many of them as friends on FaceBook and my friend Paul Carlson (aka pc) once had pseudo-Admin privileges there and knows many more legitimate members)).

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Trolls...they are everywhere.

My condolences to Analog and Asimov's Magazine users. It's many many...many years since I last visited.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've appealed to Pthom to ask Mac to give our fellow travelers refuge here at AW. Some of us are already here, of course, but not nearly all (Mike Flynn, Jeff Kooistra, Bud Webster, etc., etc., etc., just to name a few). I've also contacted Gardner Dozois to see if he can make an appeal to Peter Kanter to reopen the fora, but the admins and the owners were awfully pissed. I have serious doubts if they'll consider reopening the fora something that's not cost-effective at all.

In the meantime, I'm in touch with my friend Paul (pc) in regard to getting members to come over here, at least to visit.

Hopefully, something good can be made from the destruction a single troll caused (may he rot in Hell while being devoured by maggots and feeling every bite eternally).

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
FOTSGreg - I'm totally fine with inviting 'em. I'll even set up a private room, if they'd like one--someone just needs to let me know what's required. And if anyone knows the admins/mods over there, let them know I'll help any way I can with software issues/banning/etc.

(Lord knows AW has some experience with persistent trolls and concerted orcing attacks.)

M_I_GOFF

Registered
Reaction score
Since it looks like we'll be using the forums here for a while, I've been thinking: With the number of frequent Analog Forum users, I doubt that anyone here has contact info for all of them. Maybe some one could send a letter to Stan Schmidt (did I spell the name right?) to print in the Brass Tacks column, inviting all the forumites here.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the AW SF/F forum, M. I. Goff. There is always room for more. Glad to have you. :)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
How many Analog/Asimov's folk are trickling in? And would a subforum be useful, for the purposes of check-in threads and general orientation?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Mac, there's always been a few of us here and I've been inviting more for years, but right now it's just a trickle. Asimov's and Analog both have FaceBook communities and I think some of the folks are going to try to use that as a replacement, temporarily, while they wait things out and see if Mr. Kanter relents in a few days.

We need to advertise and market the fact that AW can and will open up a sub forum or fora for the refugees methinks.

It is an unfortunate though, that sone of them probably never visited any other forum ever.

Deleted member 42

If y'all find URLs/Web sites that you want as resources, let me know, and I'll talk to Mac and Pthom and ChaosTitan about putting the resources up here in a sticky, or on the Web site if they think that makes more sense.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Paul Carlson's probably the closest forumite who might have a more extensive list of the firmer membership at Analog anyway. He knows most of the folks over at Asimov's too.

Mac, why don't you go ahead and open up a sub forum where I can point folks to from FaceBook. That way at least I can show that the refugees are not lost and alone, forgotten in the wide, wide sea of the Interwebz and they have a map to a friendly port.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Sorry for the wait - I've been traveling and only just now had a chance to set up a room.

But make yourselves at home!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
*leaves large stock of non-perishables, adult-beverages, comfy pillows, de-trolling powder and fresh baked brownies for refugees*

I'm sorry for what's happened to ya'll! I hope you are able to gather everyone and regroup! Good Lord, what would happen to us if there was no AW?!

*runs away from the horrible thoughts*

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
If any trolls happen to show up to sully your new and hopefully temporary home, please feel free to drop said troll into the Fangster Scones and Tea Party thread. Our appetizers have been surprisingly tame as of late.

Welcome, and safe havens to you all.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Welcome to AW, your home away from home. We're pleased you could join us.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
To my fellow Asimov's and Analog denizens and refugees I'd like to say up front that the membership here at AW is terrific - supportive, helpful, critical where necessary, but invariably polite and responsible even when disagreeing with one another. The Mods are fair, honest, open to complaint, and quick to voice their, um, "rulings" when someone one steps over the line.

A finer forum you probably couldn't find anywhere else with the possible exception of our old ones.

So, please, fell free and welcomed here. There's a lot to explore, a lot to see and do. Take the tour. Come by the Horror Hounds Bar (which is inside the blast doors which are inside the swinging doors which are inside the Cafe) where I tend bar on occasion (and keep the ammo levels sufficient for a small, well, medium-sized, war.

Start a thread. Visit the SF Fact room (those guys take their science really serious). You might even cruise by the Poetry forum or, for a little titillation, the Erotic forums.

Come on in, make yourselves at home. You've been my friends for several years now and I want you to feel welcome here. I'll even pour those of you of age an adult beverage over at the Horror Hounds Bar if you stop by (just ignore the BBQ pit and the bloodstains surrounding it - that's for our newbies, not (necessarily) our invited guests (and if anyone comes toward you wearing a bib and a smile while carrying a knife and fork, well, run. Run very fast).

It's probably Haggis.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And if I may advertise it, coming up in about 20 hours, and happening every Sunday night at 9PM Eastern time is the "Flash Fiction Challenge" where we write a story based on a short prompt of usually one to three words. We us a slightly different definition of flash fiction (usually a story of 500 or fewer words), it's time-limited to whatever one can write in 90 minutes. Pthom and I often write SF stories, so even if you don't participate with your own entry, you're more than welcome to read and comment on our stories. The forum password is: flashed
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137
We also hang out in the AW IRC chat room before, during and after writing, in #absolutewrite on starchat.net.