• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

25 Lines per page

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
When I first started a write, a little over a year ago. I read somewhere that it was the industry standard to write with twety five lines per page, giving an average of 250 words per page.

My question is: today is this still the case, or does it matter anymore?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
For the most part, it doesn't matter anymore. Use proper formatting (1" margin, 12-point font, double-space) in any word processing program, and you'll get a fair approximation of your word count.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Chaos, it came up in a conversation I has had with someone today.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, what CT said. In fact, if you're using a word processor program, you should get the word count right there on your computer screen. If you're typing on a typewriter in proper manuscript format (double-spaced, one-inch margins) then the estimate of 250 words per page is a good rule of thumb.

When you submit your work to agents/editors, you don't need an exact word count anyway; just an approximate one.

Colin L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cplwriting.com
This seems about right; a few years ago I interned at my university press doing mostly menial tasks, including looking at manuscripts, and I want to say the average line count I came across was somewhere around 22 or 23 (depending on a number of factors, obviously). But as the others have said, I would stress too much over the exact line number.

WickerWeir

Titmouse Patrol
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
It only matters in that the industry standard count for one page is 250 words. That matters when pitching your book or hiring an editor, for example. Even with changing fonts, type sizes, and digital pagination, the standard "page" remains 250 words.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Libby, Colin and Wicker

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I have my generic format set to the standard format, 1" margins, 12 font and 25 lines per page, however if you do a digital submission, most houses will look at the actual word count given by the computer, not a page-to-word standard estimate.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I first started a write, a little over a year ago. I read somewhere that it was the industry standard to write with twety five lines per page, giving an average of 250 words per page.

My question is: today is this still the case, or does it matter anymore?

25 lines/per page or 250 words/page only works for 12 pt monospacing fonts such as Courier anyway.

Nowadays, you can use a proportional font such as TNR so the 25 lines/page (or 250 w/p) is rather irrelevant.

Simply double space the manuscript and you should be fine.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
25 lines/per page or 250 words/page only works for 12 pt monospacing fonts such as Courier anyway.

Nowadays, you can use a proportional font such as TNR so the 25 lines/page (or 250 w/p) is rather irrelevant.

Simply double space the manuscript and you should be fine.

All correct, but if you are preparing a physical manuscript, it is highly desirable to have a uniform number of lines on each page. To ensure this, be sure to turn off the Widows/Orphans option in your word-processor. In MS-Word, you'll find this under paragraph formatting options.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you maestro and blacbird for your help.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
As Maestro said, if you're not using courier, the 250 WPP formula doesn't work. Turning off the widow-orphan control will save you a page or two over the length of the MS, but that's about all it's good for. All these rules were made for typewriter submissions, before we had word counters in the word processing programs, and those days are history.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I find double-spaced at 10 font / courier new gives me a rough estimate of about 300 words per page.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I find double-spaced at 10 font / courier new gives me a rough estimate of about 300 words per page.

Which is why, editing, I charge by the 250-word "page"--to have some standard that's the same for everyone. That way, I don't wind up charging the same amount for your title page as for someone else's 400-word page.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Except that you really don't want to use 10-pt font. 12-pt font is standard for any submission manuscript, and that's about as hard-and-fast a rule as there is regarding manuscript formatting. Be kind to the editor's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.