Do agents care about e-publishing creds?

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
448
Location
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I wasn't sure if this would be better addressed to the "Ask the Agent" forum or here, but anyway...

If I've published books through a reputable e-publisher, is that something I should mention when querying agents? Since agents focus on selling books to print markets, for the most part, I'm wondering if most of them even care about e-creds; if listing them would help my chances, hurt my chances, or not make a difference.

I've heard differing opinions on this in the past. I'm wondering what folks here think.
 
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
47,985
Reaction score
13,248
Hmm. I guess it depends on the epublisher. I would say something like, "I've published X-amount of novels [or books] with epublishers such as..." then name the most reputable on your backlist. I see you have an LSB cover as your avatar and I'm told they're one of the big 5.

I don't see what harm it could do as long as it's not a crappy little vanity press, an e-version of Publish America!

To me - bearing in mind I'm not an agent - it says you can deliver to a deadline, and might come with a ready-made readership and online presence.
 

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
1,638
Reaction score
364
Location
California
Website
www.erinrichards.com
They probably care about the big guys like EC, Samhain, LSB, Carina, etc. Having said that, the book you're querying is what will ultimately hook them, not your credits. I queried a book with my EC credit in my bio paragraph, and it didn't get me an agent. But I might have gotten a few extra looks by agents because of it. Who knows? :)
 
Last edited:

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
448
Location
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Thanks, scarlet and Erin. :) Good advice.

And yes, my main e-publisher is LSB. For my most recent batch of agent queries I've alternated between mentioning and not mentioning my LSB books, but so far, the two nibbles I've gotten have been from queries that mentioned them.
 

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
128
Location
Southern US
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Yes, they care. It shows experience in publishing and marketability potential.

It won't 'get' you an agent, your work does that, but it does give them professional background.
 

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
20,006
Reaction score
5,353
Location
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yes. At last year's RT convention, I specifically asked this question to a panel of highly reputable and sought after agents--all of whom responded that current e-publishing credits from known houses definitely impacted their decision to look at a manuscript. I can also say that my e-published series attracted interest in several agents and agencies, and between that and the online platform I'd developed along with my sales, awards and reviews were a contributing factor in landing the agent I eventually signed with.

"Contributing factor." The book I was querying garnered all the interest, but the e-credits were definitely considered as legitimate publishing credits.
 

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
454
Reaction score
80
Location
Inside your computer.
Website
kathleendienne.com
Just a funny observation - I lurked here for, oh, six months before making an account. In other words, I've got a little under two years of context on this board.

And I can remember when this exact question got answered with "not really."

Now it's "definitely" when it comes to the big names in digital.

What's next?!
 
Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
18,016
Reaction score
5,109
Location
dunking doughnuts at Dunkin' Donuts
Just a funny observation - I lurked here for, oh, six months before making an account. In other words, I've got a little under two years of context on this board.

And I can remember when this exact question got answered with "not really."

Now it's "definitely" when it comes to the big names in digital.

What's next?!

With the boom in Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's nook, publishers are suddenly realizing there's a whole new set of rights they can exploit and a whole new bushel of money to be raked in.
 

rsullivan9597

Banned
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
443
Reaction score
29
Location
Fairfax, VA
I'm looking for a cover artist, too? Would you mind sharing how much you paid for that? Unless you did it yourself. In which case, how much would you charge to do mine.

Kindle boards has a lot of talented cover artists who work for reasonable prices.