Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
George R. R. Martin on the writing and editing process...

Just saw this on GRRM's blog. I thought it might be interesting for those interested in being traditionally published to see what the editing process can be like for a very large novel in a long series. Kind of a fascinating peek into the construction of what will surely be an excellent novel!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/217066.html#cutid1
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputation
Thanks for posting that. I love George R. R. I didn't know he'd finally finished A Dance with Dragons. I was hoping this one would be the last of the series. I doubt I'll live long enough to see the next one.

Lots of posts here on AW about vampire novels. GRMM wrote my favorite, Fevre Dream.
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Alouette
bad apple

Alouette is on a distinguished road
Thank you for posting! I love his books and just marvel at their intricacy and how he keeps track of all the plot threads. It's hardly surprising it takes him so long to churn them out, really! (Although, A Dance with Dragons was pushing it, I think.)
Alouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looks like this series will end when GRRM does. Or maybe not, if Brandon Sanderson is still around.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Fulk
Occasional Contributer

Fulk has a spectacular aura
I think the most exciting part of that post is how he mentioned copies of all his partials are sent to the special collections at Texas A&M. If and when those are public, I intend to look over every one of them. (Maybe I'll be the student of fantasy literature he speaks of).
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Looks like this series will end when GRRM does. Or maybe not, if Brandon Sanderson is still around.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
playground
practical experience, FTW

playground is a shiny, shiny jewelplayground is a shiny, shiny jewel
For someone that has only read the first three books will that link spoil a bunch for me if I read it?
playground is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground_king View Post
For someone that has only read the first three books will that link spoil a bunch for me if I read it?
Only a bit. There's some discussion of the viewpoint characters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS - if you see a character's name there, you'll know they survived A FEAST FOR CROWS. Apart from that, I don't think any spoilers are mentioned.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think any characters are even mentioned, but I can't recall clearly. Oh -- Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion are mentioned, but all that really tells you, as Para said, is that they survived AFFC.

Mostly, it's just an interesting look at how he goes about writing, rewriting, working with editors, and preserving his older versions of a manuscript. It's kinda cool!
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
ave
practical experience, FTW

ave is a shiny, shiny jewelave is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
lol
ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
I know what he means about the "sweat". I didn't have to reduce my word count in the final polish, but I managed to trim off 500 words anyway, just by identifying places where I'd repeated myself (e.g. stated something in the narrative and then had a character paraphrase that in dialogue a couple of lines later - oops!).

I enjoyed the first book of ASOIAF, but my reading time is limited at the moment so I'm sticking to somewhat shorter novels!

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
ColoradoMom
Banned

ColoradoMom is well-respected
Very interesting. He appears to be an "edit as you go" writer and I am as well, so it is good to know that not everyone writes blindly until first draft completion and then waits to go back and tighten it up. I would think that such a long book would almost require that sort of plan, whereas a shorter book would allow for more more writing and less editing in the first draft.
ColoradoMom is offline   Reply With Quote