190 E-books Sold In 10 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I am very pleased with my sales on Kindle. I loaded my first book, a mystery titled Big Lake, on May 22, and over the next four days I uploaded four non-fiction titles, The Frugal RVer, Work Your Way Across The USA, The Gun Shop Manual, and Meandering Down The Highway. The non-fiction books have all been out in print editions for several years, except the Gun Shop Manual.

By the end of the month, 10 days later, I had sold 169 mysteries, 8 Frugal RVers, 4 Work Your Way Across The USA, 2 Gun Shop Manuals, and 7 Meandering Down The Highway, for a total of 190 e-books. Prices range from 99 cents for the novel (an introductory price) to $3.99 for Meandering Down The Highway.

So far for the first two days of June, I’ve sold 23 more copies of the mystery, 1 copy of Meandering Down The Highway, 2 copies of The Frugal RVer, and 1 copy of Work Your Way Across The USA., for a total of 27 books in two days.

I won’t get rich with these numbers, but I think it is a good start in e-book publishing, and demonstrates the potential there is in this market.

Robrealm

Adventure Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's great. Congrats!!
I'm getting ready to put my first one up on Kindle. I already have my price set, but, I was wondering how you AND others decided on your starting price.

Good luck with your sales!

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
This is the answer I posted to the thread Pricing E-books:

I priced my mystery Big Lake at 99 cents because that seems to be a common starting point for first novels, with the idea that you will attract readers who don't know you, and subsequent novels will sell for more.

I priced my four non-fiction books between $2.99 and $3.99, because three out of four of them have been out in print editions for several years and sell steadily to my niche market for between $10.95 and $16.95 and I knew they had a waiting readership.

Last edited:

jeffw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hyborianchronicles.blogspot.com
I just sold my first copy today on Kindle, and I was ecstatic. I priced it at 1.99, and will wait for a couple of weeks to see how sales are doing. If they are in a slump, I will drop the price to .99 to attract new readers, while I upload new material.

Great job, Nick!

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So far, I am very pleased with my sales on Kindle. I loaded my first book, a mystery titled Big Lake, on May 22, and over the next four days I uploaded four non-fiction titles, The Frugal RVer, Work Your Way Across The USA, The Gun Shop Manual, and Meandering Down The Highway. The non-fiction books have all been out in print editions for several years, except the Gun Shop Manual.

By the end of the month, 10 days later, I had sold 169 mysteries, 8 Frugal RVers, 4 Work Your Way Across The USA, 2 Gun Shop Manuals, and 7 Meandering Down The Highway, for a total of 190 e-books. Prices range from 99 cents for the novel (an introductory price) to $3.99 for Meandering Down The Highway.

So far for the first two days of June, I’ve sold 23 more copies of the mystery, 1 copy of Meandering Down The Highway, 2 copies of The Frugal RVer, and 1 copy of Work Your Way Across The USA., for a total of 27 books in two days.

I won’t get rich with these numbers, but I think it is a good start in e-book publishing, and demonstrates the potential there is in this market.

That is a really great start! Congrats!

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Congratulations, Nick! I think 190 is great.

Do you think the mystery has sold well because of the .99 price or maybe because of other promoting you did?

I'm curious because I priced my thriller on Kindle at 2.99 because that seemed to be where a lot of other thrillers were priced. But I am an unknown author, whereas you had several books in print already.

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wizard,
In doing a lot of research before I published the mystery, several experienced authors who sell a lot of e-books on Amazon recommended the 99 cent starting price for a new, unknown author, as an introduction, and then charging more for subsequent books. That is the approach I took. While I have several non-fiction books out already, as a mystery author, I’m an unknown.

I think that low price helped my initial sales, as did a couple of posts on my RV blog, my self-publishing blog, and posts on Facebook and Twitter. I also have a following in the RV world through my RV newspaper, books, and blog, and quite a few of my readers bought the mystery. Several of them also included news of the mystery in their own blogs, or on their Facebook posts, which helped spread the news.

That initial sales surge has leveled off (as I knew it would) to an average of 6 mystery books a day so far this month. I believe many of those sales are to folks who have never heard of me before.

I also uploaded some of my RV books, which have been available in print for several years. Pricing on them is $2.99, except for one that is $3.99. The $3.99 book has sold 6 copies this month, and the $2.99 books have sold 8 and 4 copies, respectively.

I am putting together the new issue of the Gypsy Journal, our RV newspaper, this week, and I will be including news of the mystery, and the other e-books becoming available. I expect that after my subscribers get that issue, I’ll see another surge in sales.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz and best wishes. You are on a roll.:hooray:

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
No problem, Wizard. We all learn from each other.

Good luck with your book, Cloud. Keep us posted on your progress.

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So far, I am very pleased with my sales on Kindle. I loaded my first book, a mystery titled Big Lake, on May 22, and over the next four days I uploaded four non-fiction titles, The Frugal RVer, Work Your Way Across The USA, The G un Shop Manual, and Meandering Down The Highway. The non-fiction books have all been out in print editions for several years, except the Gun Shop Manual.

Excellent! And thanks for the details!

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
I put my mystery/ecothriller up for $2.99 and it's doing, cough, not as well as yours.

I took a look at the Amazon page, because I thought your cover looked quite good. If you're looking for suggestions, I'd say two things:

1. Your link in your signature doesn't work: I had to fix it up to get to Amazon.

2. To me, the description doesn't feel half as thrilling as the reviews say the book is; if I'd randomly come across the book while poking around on the web I'd have read the first couple of paragraphs of the blurb and moved on without reading those reviews. If the blurb made it sound as thrilling as the Marcia Talley review does I'd have at least looked at the sample.

MarkD

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Congrats, Nick...sounds encouraging. After a year of selling Cryptozoica as a hard copy, we finally uploaded the ebook version to Amazon...since it's an illustrated book, there were some major formatting issues.

Hopefully, it will be available for sale over the next couple of days. Hope we do as well in the same amount of time.

www.Cryptozoica.com

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

Wonderful! Congratulations!

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your book, Cloud. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Nick! Slow but steady sales. Book is out for review in a few places and I hope if/when reviews come out I'll get an uptick. And luck to you as well!

I took a look at the Amazon page, because I thought your cover looked quite good. If you're looking for suggestions, I'd say two things:

1. Your link in your signature doesn't work: I had to fix it up to get to Amazon.

2. To me, the description doesn't feel half as thrilling as the reviews say the book is; if I'd randomly come across the book while poking around on the web I'd have read the first couple of paragraphs of the blurb and moved on without reading those reviews. If the blurb made it sound as thrilling as the Marcia Talley review does I'd have at least looked at the sample.

Wow, thanks Movieman. This kind of feedback is sooo helpful. I'll check my link, and rethink my description. Appreciate the feedback.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Nick--great sales!

I put my mystery/ecothriller up for $2.99 and it's doing, cough, not as well as yours.

Wow, you have great blurb quotes, one from Lisa Brackmann, of Rock Paper Tiger current fame, no less.

But I agree that your own blurb could be pumped up some. The last sentence, "The geologists find out when the unstable radwaste thief unleashes the power of the unstable atom," doesn't have much oomph.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Juniper for weighing in on the blurb. I'll be working on it today or tomorrow. Damn thing is harder to write than the book!

Yes, I'm delighted with Lisa's quote--and with the others.

Annmarie09

Live. Love. Laugh.
Registered
Reaction score
wow, your sales are amazing!
I put my book up about a week ago, so far I've sold 7 copies. I'm quite happy with it, considering I haven't done any promotion and I'm an unknown author :) Sales have sort of stopped at the moment - but hopefully they'll pick up again eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.