Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Ruben Literary Agency (Eric Ruben)

New agency alert: Eric Ruben, attorney, former business manager for Suzanne Brockman. There's an interview with him on the Guild to Literary Agents blog yesterday.

www.rubenlaw.org

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aforementioned interview: http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com...ry+Agency.aspx
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
Thanks! I meant to hyperlink and failed...

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Lilybiz
glad to be here

Lilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of light
I'd love to know if anyone here has had any dealings with him. He has a nice blog, seems like a good guy.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Anjulee
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Anjulee is on a distinguished road
Question Information

Does anyone have any information on this agent or has anyone had any experience with him?

Thank you in advance
Anjulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
He reps a few friends of mine. I've met him a couple of times. He's industry savvy, works hard for his clients, is very organized with his submission plans. He participates in the #askagent and #tenqueries twitter conversations. Off the top of my head, I know he's sold to Sourcebooks and Random House.
Fever: Club Inferno book 3--Coming 2015
Spice co-authored with Jenna Jameson
http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Fate-Jen...ds=spice+jamie
Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
Triad
Menage A Musketeer--Coming 2015

Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 10-31-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: more info
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Anjulee

Thank you all for your information. He asked for a full, but I wasn't sure because of the limited amount of information on him in the forums.

Thanks again
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
Good for you Anjulee!!!! Best of luck!
Fever: Club Inferno book 3--Coming 2015
Spice co-authored with Jenna Jameson
http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Fate-Jen...ds=spice+jamie
Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
Triad
Menage A Musketeer--Coming 2015
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Anjulee

Wink thanks

Thanks jamiekswriter. I'm waiting for a reply. It could be while, and I hope I have nails left by then
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, Eric has tentatively expressed interest in doing an "Ask the Agent" gig, here, too. I'll try to follow up on that soon, and you guys can ask him your questions directly, if he still has time.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
Awesome! I'll be looking forward to this.

Screaming into the wind...
Ruth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Samantha Lane
practical experience, FTW

Samantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewelSamantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewel
Eric opened up to unsolicited queries this morning (per his twitter feed).

I'm impressed with what I've seen of him so far and would love to work with him. He seems to genuinely care about what he does, and he's always tweeting helpful things for unpublished authors as well as praise for his clients. I'm not sure if he'd be interested in my work (urban fantasy with romantic elements), but I queried him this morning anyway.

Samantha Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
GinJones

GinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admiration
A friend is represented by him, and she writes a number of things, including what could be described as UF with romantic elements. She thinks very highly of him.
GinJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
LGwenn
Rollin' Boulders, FTW

LGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLGwenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eric is my agent & I'll say this: He focuses on what is important to me in my career. Which is awesome.

Twitter

My Blog

Teneo vel exsisto paddled per Lily*~ Haupe
LGwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Foinah
Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
AW Moderator

Foinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's doing #tenqueries on Twitter this Thursday (7/11) at 7 PM Eastern time.

I subbed on 7/3 -- contemporary horror/fantasy.
He's a quick reply for rejects and fulls...so I'm in limbo! hahahaha.

Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum
Foinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I follow Eric on Twitter and he seems to be a very good person to follow. I liked the look of him as an agent but he was closed to subs - didn't realise he was open at the moment.

To my query letter!

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #17
yellosharpie

yellosharpie is on a distinguished road
He seems pretty cool to work with and I'm thinking of querying him. I was wondering if any of his clients have any tips? He says that he is looking for YA, but would like to know where his tastes tend to run.

Thanks!

Strongly Worded Letters: 64k, beta rounds, Out on submission

The Road Home: 25k

Shifting: YA urban fantasy 80k on the shelf
twitter.com/yellosharpie
yellosharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #18
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellosharpie View Post
He seems pretty cool to work with and I'm thinking of querying him. I was wondering if any of his clients have any tips? He says that he is looking for YA, but would like to know where his tastes tend to run.

Thanks!
I know he reps at least one person who writes LGBT. I also found this Writer's Digest interview from 2011.
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
yellosharpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebrown View Post
I know he reps at least one person who writes LGBT. I also found this Writer's Digest interview from 2011.
Oh yes, I remember reading that one. He's been pretty vocal about that. He also mentions something along the lines of good stories well told, gritty, dark, and sexy...but I'm really interested in what YA either genres or voice he favors. He mentions romance and mysteries as well.

He mentions Buffy as having great YA writing (agree) and loving Joss Whedon, so I know we have that in common

Thanks though!

twitter.com/yellosharpie
Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellosharpie View Post
Oh yes, I remember reading that one. He's been pretty vocal about that. He also mentions something along the lines of good stories well told, gritty, dark, and sexy...but I'm really interested in what YA either genres or voice he favors. He mentions romance and mysteries as well.

He mentions Buffy as having great YA writing (agree) and loving Joss Whedon, so I know we have that in common

Thanks though!
Yep. [derail]omg love Joss Whedon HAVE YOU SEEN Much Ado About Nothing?? Perfection![/derail]

I haven't seen many "What are you looking for?" types of interviews from him recently. He's very active on Twitter, though; he does ten queries and ask an agent, etc..
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #21
yellosharpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebrown View Post
Yep. [derail]omg love Joss Whedon HAVE YOU SEEN Much Ado About Nothing?? Perfection![/derail]

I haven't seen many "What are you looking for?" types of interviews from him recently. He's very active on Twitter, though; he does ten queries and ask an agent, etc..
No, but I want to. Hopefully I get some free time so I can watch it. Was it awesome? :p

He's doing a ten queries this Friday at 7pm I believe. I think I want to try and submit this week before then. We'll see.

twitter.com/yellosharpie
Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I meant to query him today, but his website won't load for me. Is it me or is his site down?

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
Maddie
Roe Draje

Maddie is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumplet View Post
I meant to query him today, but his website won't load for me. Is it me or is his site down?
It's you and me, Chumplet, because I can't get his site to load either.
Amazon Author Page
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Chumplet

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Maddie. I don't want to screw it up, given his #TenQueries statement that he rejected based on not following the guidelines.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
Chumplet

He tweeted that he's looking into the website thing. I guess he finally believed me!

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too