July Writing Prompt

Purple Tulip

Wielding power tools like an Amazon
Registered
Reaction score
Count 4 cattle grates when the pavement ends
Put your manuscripts to the side folks, it's time to think fresh! The July Writing Prompt is...

1) Fireworks. That's a shout out to my revolutionary ancestors but the fireworks in your story don't have to be 4th of July fireworks-just fireworks.

2) July 6th 28th is Beatrix Potter's birthday so let's have a rabbit or a garden or both (for added conflict).

3) The third week in July is "Space Week" in America, so let's have something outer spacey.

Don't forget to post something here so we know when to look you up in SYW.

*Walks off singing Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical Creative" to herself.*

Last edited:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Great prompts! Already cookin a few ideas whilst I type up the mammoth entry to The last two months' prompts. Look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great job, Purple Tulip! Thanks for being our 12th prompt creator - hooray for a full year of prompts!

One question, though. Is our mission to incorporate all three things? Or is one sufficient? I don't want to cheat. :D

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool prompt! You got me thinking.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
2) July 6th is Beatrix Potter's birthday so let's have a rabbit or a garden or both (for added conflict).

This part confuses me a bit; some sources I've read say the 6th, others the 28th, and I don't know which one is right. (And since she was born in 1866, we can't blame that on confusion between the Julian and Gregorian calendars, the way we can for anything pre-1752, like George Washington's birthday.)

Purple Tulip

Registered
Reaction score
One question, though. Is our mission to incorporate all three things? Or is one sufficient? I don't want to cheat.

Bonus points if you can incorporate all three, but not required.

This part confuses me a bit; some sources I've read say the 6th, others the 28th, and I don't know which one is right.

Me either! Hmmm... Well, either way she was still born in July so the prompt still works. Maybe we could demand that Wikipedia provide us with a certified birth certificate?

I am seeing more "credible" sites with her birthday listed as the 28th so I'm going to convert from team 6 to team 28. Thanks for noticing t0dd!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I'm working on a sci-fi short called 'Night of the Rampaging POTTER' - should be up tomorrow! And shorter than my last two entries. A LOT shorter. Right now its just two words. Think that's enough?

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a sci-fi short called 'Night of the Rampaging POTTER' - should be up tomorrow! And shorter than my last two entries. A LOT shorter. Right now its just two words. Think that's enough?

As in the profession (a guy who molds clay into pots) and not a famous children's fantasy character, I assume?

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm..... Go, creativity, go!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No July prompts yet??:Shrug:

Anybody working on something??:Shrug:

I'll get busy!:Headbang:

No one has posted a prompt response?! What's wrong with you guys? Get to work!

(Okay, fine. I haven't done a prompt response in a couple of months, so I have no business lecturing you guys. ;) Tomorrow is my last day of vacation, so I'll see if I can get one written.)

Purple Tulip

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry guys and gals but I just can't be one of the first people to respond to my own prompt cause it just doesn't look right.

The rabbit sat in the garden nibbling on a leaf of bok choy while watching the fireworks burst in the inky black night sky among the glittering-nay, twinkling stars drifting in outer space where there were no rabbits or bok choy.

See? That's not so hard-well, except for the lacking an actual plot. Sigh...pesky details.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on it - but it's so hard to think when it's t his hot. We've had over twenty days of 100 degrees or above. Last Sunday was 111!!! That's just crazy. The corn is dried up, my grass is dried up, my flowers are a fond memory.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing a final push on the WIP and getting the completed novel shaped up for agents. I'll try to get something in the next couple weeks. I hate to miss out on these, but these other projects are so close to done it's too tempting to work on them.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - you guilted me into this one, and now you shall pay.

Seriously, when I finally got an idea, as silly as it is, I had fun with it. So I'm going to post it now.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, sorry I didn't get a July prompt response completed. I'm going to make up for it, though:

August marks a whole YEAR of prompts! :TheWave:

So, to celebrate, we're going to have a contest, complete with awesome prizes!

Watch for the official announcement tomorrow evening. :D

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
Yeah!!!!!:hooray:

I'm sorry too, this is the first prompt I've missed since I started writing them. I have been just too busy between work and my son's baseball.

We are just one regional tournament away from the Little League World Series.:hooray::hooray: Lots of traveling and time away from home, but well worth it, if we win this coming weekend, you can watch us on ESPN.

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
How exciting, Butterbean. Tell your kids we wish them the best!

Thanks sissy, It's every exciting. These boys have played and won a lot of baseball games to get where they are now.
They won their district tournament, then they won the Texas West section 4 tournament, last weekend they won the Texas West state tournament. Now we are playing in the Southwest US regional tournament between the state champions of Louisiana, Mississippi, Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas East. If we win we go to the Little League World Series (junior division 13-14 yr olds)in Taylor Mich. on Aug 14th. :hooray:
If so look for Oil Belt Little League from Corpus Christi Texas representing the Southwest region.

These are our 11 local little heros!!!:D

You can't tell I'm a proud father, can you!:D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, Mike! I think your submission for the contest should be about baseball. ;)

I'll give you guys the details later tonight! It's going to be so much fun. :TheWave: