Willie vs the IRS

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From my June 10 post in the "PA Author Sues Stephen King" thread:

It's going to take something much bigger and involving PA directly as plaintiff or defendant to get anyone's attention. And after ten years of this, PA has shown enough savvy to dodge several bullets. But when it happens, it'll happen big.

As much as I hate to see someone come on hard times and experience legal troubles, I wonder if this might be what does it. Of course, this is only true as long as Willem is still substantially involved with PA. I had gotten the impression he was mostly a silent partner now or removed from the company. I have no insider info on this, of course, this is just what I'd gathered from reading old PA threads here.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If the IRS sees PA as one of Willie's "assets" it's going to be tough times for the poor writers. They may never see their books again.

Wonder if Larry and Miranda have their bags packed so they can duck away to a country with no extradition.

Doubt it. Larry's too fond of the cash coming in and abusing writers. He'd just open another version of PA.

And we'll warn writers about it, too.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this might have something to do with PA's increasingly absurd writers, send us money offers over the past year.

Was wonderin if perhaps there was another reason for those.

I SO hope this is true and brings an end to there shinanagins. But, there will be another PA pop up.I am glad this site is here to help us noobs :)

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the IRS has a good reputation for keeping their noses stuck in the business of people who don't pay taxes owed. Chances are good that they will audit several previous years worth of returns to see if more money is owed them, as well as do additional audits as more returns are filed. Whether or not any of this brings PA into the picture, the IRS is probably going to be a thorn in Willie's side for a few more years.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I was reluctant to give this credence when I first heard it, because Rev. Sinthyia has put out inaccurate information before. But if you click here and enter the name "Meiners," you can see the information. Listings 1 and 14 are for the tax lien. Click on the listing to view the actual form.

The $51,769 penalty is for just one tax year--2009--and involves Meiners' 1040 tax. Presumably, the IRS put a lien on the residence because Meiners didn't pay (and it doesn't take long to be in default: the IRS files liens if you don't pay within 10 days of notification). Beyond that, all else is speculation, including what exactly the penalty was for and whether PA is affected.

- Victoria

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I hope something comes of this. I'd never even heard of PublishAmerica before I came across this wonderful site last December - I spent Christmas and New Year reading ALL the PA-associated threads! - and I'd love to see those sleazeballs get their comeuppance.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Larry's too fond of the cash coming in and abusing writers.
That last part is what's always puzzled me. PA obviously has a decent con going up to the point where they writer signs the contract; and after that they keep trying to siphon money out of their writers. So why take the risk of alienating people with all those abusive, insulting, patently unprofessional responses to any kind of concern or complaint?

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
That last part is what's always puzzled me. PA obviously has a decent con going up to the point where they writer signs the contract; and after that they keep trying to siphon money out of their writers. So why take the risk of alienating people with all those abusive, insulting, patently unprofessional responses to any kind of concern or complaint?

That is a good point. I mean I have always belived you attrack more bees or is it flys? with honey as they say.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I've pondered this myself, and especially since you posted it. I'm at a loss. Perhaps by the time they're nasty they have already gotten all the money they are going to get from the author, so there is nothing to lose? I don't see any need to be nasty myself. I do firmly believe that PA knows the minds of its authors very, very well, and is only doing this because it perceives some sort of advantage to itself (although I can't figure what).

To be fair, my recent emails with PA have been handled professionally; their response has been firmly in their favor, but I've not gotten a tone letter or similar flip responses.

[Oops! I wonder if we're headed to NEPAT overflow here?]

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score

Because it's easier than being helpful? The people behind PA aren't stupid, but I do think they are lazy. If they admitted to a problem, they would have to work on a solution, or at least pretend to. On the other hand, by taking the position of angry authority, they can shift the problem to the author.

They also know the author is likely to accept it, or at least let it pass. His book is with PA, so he's bound to try to make it work.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

They can get away with it. What recourse do most writers have, especially with PA holding the rights to their books? The most striking example is of an author who asked a few questions on the PAMB and was told to "cut the crap" by infocenter.

The author has continued to send PA manuscripts, money and thanks since then.

When the old guard of PA loyalists were prominent on the boards, a few of them even defended the abusive responses. One excuse given was that authors ask boring questions, so infocenter is justified in having "a little fun".

So what's unprofessional and abusive to us is normal for them, and I think that the newer authors quickly realize that they will be either ignored or denigrated for asking questions (unless these are along the lines of "Do you take MasterCard?").

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

That is a good point. I mean I have always belived you attrack more bees or is it flys? with honey as they say.

They can get away with it. What recourse do most writers have, especially with PA holding the rights to their books? The most striking example is of an author who asked a few questions on the PAMB and was told to "cut the crap" by infocenter.

The author has continued to send PA manuscripts, money and thanks since then.

When the old guard of PA loyalists were prominent on the boards, a few of them even defended the abusive responses. One excuse given was that authors ask boring questions, so infocenter is justified in having "a little fun".

So what's unprofessional and abusive to us is normal for them, and I think that the newer authors quickly realize that they will be either ignored or denigrated for asking questions (unless these are along the lines of "Do you take MasterCard?").
I've seen it (treating people like shit who then "keep coming back") happen elsewhere with my very own eyes. The short film on youtube "Mind Control Cults" comes to mind, and Queen's post reminds me of the anti-intuitive phenomenon called Stockholm Syndrome.

My amateur-psychologist conclusions may be oversimplistic, but I do believe there's something to it.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to draw parallels to abusive relationships where the victim refuses to leave, but (fortunately) I've not had much direct experience with that. I don't think it quite fits, since surely PA writers are not the battered victims, but I struggle to see PA's motivation for being actively rude.

As I mentioned above, PA hasn't responded to ME that way, but I've seen the comments on the PAMB so I know it happens.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
T. So why take the risk of alienating people with all those abusive, insulting, patently unprofessional responses to any kind of concern or complaint?

Because, deep down, Larry Clopper knows they're all much better writers than he could ever hope to be.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But let's not just ask Willie about it. We can always turn to finance expert Bernard Madoff on how to maintain a Ponzi scheme.

Oops. Maybe not.