My ambivalence about Bret Easton Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I love hisminimalist prose. Very objective, documentary-like. Nobody thinks in metaphors. Very stylish, witty. Products of the time period in which the books were written. The satire is so sharp, it hurts. Negatives? THE CHARACTERS. They are all heartless, sociopathic, depraved, willing to stoop to any low for shits and giggles.
informers%5B1%5D.jpg

Uncle Peter, anyone?

There's no connection to the audience. Regardless of whether or not its intentional, it makes me sick, and I'm one of the most cynical people around. Then again, there's another part of me that laughs in self-defense as I breeze through the pages with my Ferrari and Ray-Bans, telling myself that people can't be that evil. My writing takes cynicism to the height of absurdity; its a dark variation of Looney Tunes. The other part of me reads BEE as a means of releasing my rage at the world. He's my advisor, giving me warnings about the not-so-sweet nature of the world.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I love hisminimalist prose. Very objective, documentary-like. Nobody thinks in metaphors. Very stylish, witty. Products of the time period in which the books were written. The satire is so sharp, it hurts. Negatives? THE CHARACTERS. They are all heartless, sociopathic, depraved, willing to stoop to any low for shits and giggles.
informers%5B1%5D.jpg

Uncle Peter, anyone?

There's no connection to the audience. Regardless of whether or not its intentional, it makes me sick, and I'm one of the most cynical people around. Then again, there's another part of me that laughs in self-defense as I breeze through the pages with my Ferrari and Ray-Bans, telling myself that people can't be that evil. My writing takes cynicism to the height of absurdity; its a dark variation of Looney Tunes. The other part of me reads BEE as a means of releasing my rage at the world. He's my advisor, giving me warnings about the not-so-sweet nature of the world.

Do you not think that's the point? It's an alienating world out there, and we grow more isolated by the day.

I love Ellis.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with gothicangel. Ellis's loathing for certain kinds of people, about whom he has sharp insight, is what makes him a pleasure. I loved American Psycho especially, although many people found it utterly unreadable. (Good movie adaptation, too.)

And not all his works lack character connection to the reader. Give Less Than Zero a fresh read if you doubt it.

Maryn, knowing perfectly well not all books suit all readers

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've read most of Ellis's work and he's one of my favorite authors. And personally, I find the characters frighteningly relatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.