First ten days of publishing for the Amazon Kindle and forty two sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebar

Registered
Reaction score
Ten days ago I published my first book, The Nameless War, for the Amazon Kindle and as of Sunday 31st July I've had forty two sales. The book belongs to genre of military science fiction, which is a pretty narrow category, so these sales are very encouraging. The whole exercise has been a bit of an experiment and so far the whole process of publishing for the Kindle has been very smooth, no problems have jumped out at me yet, so I’m waiting now to see if any reviews come in. I’m planning on putting up a short story next within the next month. So watch this space for further experience.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope you sell a million copies. Please keep us updated on your progress.

ebar

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
welcome and congrats

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Have you had any problems with piracy? I've been reading a lot about that lately.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DTO04K/?tag=absowrit-20 and here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005DTO04K/?tag=absowrit-21

To be honest not much in the way of advertising thus far. A couple of posts on sites I know that would have my most likely readers, that kind of thing. I've been looking a few of the suggestions I seen on this site and some look practical for me.

I just grabbed a sample as I like military sci-fi to some extent. I loved the Lost Fleet series. One thing about your description, for me at least, is there is no mention of a main character, just five people who stand in the way of destruction. That might not be a problem for most military science fiction fans as I'm not in the usual demographics for that genre, so my opinion might be totally invalid here. :)

What drew me to the Lost Fleet series was the mention of Black Jack Geary and his circumstances. The concept was intriguing to me. Of course, I'm probably not your target audience. While I don't mind space battles, the tech stuff isn't what would keep me reading.

Anyway, 42 sales in 10 days is great!

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. That's a great start. What's really nice is you have 25 pages of "also boughts." Which means Amazon is already helping you get noticed.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales.

I too would suggest a re-write of the description. Right now it is a little bland and IMHO not very encouraging to try out the sample.

ebar

Registered
Reaction score
I just grabbed a sample as I like military sci-fi to some extent. I loved the Lost Fleet series. One thing about your description, for me at least, is there is no mention of a main character, just five people who stand in the way of destruction. That might not be a problem for most military science fiction fans as I'm not in the usual demographics for that genre, so my opinion might be totally invalid here. :)

What drew me to the Lost Fleet series was the mention of Black Jack Geary and his circumstances. The concept was intriguing to me. Of course, I'm probably not your target audience. While I don't mind space battles, the tech stuff isn't what would keep me reading.

Anyway, 42 sales in 10 days is great!

Thank a lot and no opinion honestly given is invalid. To say the least I banged my head against the wall for a while trying to come up with the description. Ultimately I went for short and sharp because the five main characters are each basically a front man (and woman) for five separate but interrelated threads and trying describe their activities, even in brief was likely to result in a page of text.

I've looked at the blurbs of the military scifi books that I own (The Lost Fleet, the Starfire books and some of earlier Honorverse books) and really none of them go into much detail. Certainly when I going looking for reading material on the Kindle marketplace if a description goes on for more than a short paragraph, I'm not going to give it the time of day.

But we will see what the book reading public has to say.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
That's an outstanding start!

I share your head-banging in the description dept. Still tweaking mine, still not satisfied. I think it's harder than writing the book--and really important to draw in readers.

edwilson

Registered
Reaction score
Great job, ebar! I'm looking to epublish myself once I finish revising my current manuscript. I'm encouraged by the success I've been reading from fellow epub writers.

AlekT

Alexander
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I just posted on another thread regarding the inability of finding out how Amazon rankings translate into specific sales. It's great to see someone actually stating the number of sales they've made. I hope you can keep us informed about your sales trajectory in the coming weeks.

I'd also be interested if you did the formatting and graphics yourself or through a service, and if you've formatted for other than Kindle.

Once again, Congrats, and good luck with your writing.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's great to see someone actually stating the number of sales they've made.

Here're mine:

July:

amazon_jul_todate.jpg

August:

amazon_aug_todate.jpg

ebar

Registered
Reaction score
That's an outstanding start!

I share your head-banging in the description dept. Still tweaking mine, still not satisfied. I think it's harder than writing the book--and really important to draw in readers.

Yeah, it is difficult. What I did was check the blurbs of books I own in the same genre that I have read often enough to be completely familar with the full content. Now these are books that have gone through the professional publishing process and descriptions are short and generalized. The one for 'In Death Ground' by David Weber and Steve White is:
'In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.'' 5000 ye ars later, in the time of the 4th Interstellar War, Sun Tzu'' s advice still makes perfect sense for the humans and their allies the Orions.
So what I'd say is look at your genre and by guided by what the professionals have come up with.

Rubay H. said:
I downloaded the sample and so far, so good. Your formatting looks excellent, too. Did you do it yourself or hire it out?

Did it myself and as far as I can make out it went smoothly. The file was from WORD and I sent it to my Kindle a couple of times. The only bit that did involve a bit of messing is I put an image on the front page same out I'm using for my avatar here, it doesn't appear on the sample and it took a couple of attempts to get it small enough to fit on the front page with the text.

Since there seems to be the interest here I'll give on Sunday my sales figures for the second full week.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to post my Amazon stats like James did above, but having no luck. Any suggestions?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I downloaded the sample and so far, so good. Your formatting looks excellent, too. Did you do it yourself or hire it out?

Did we look at the same sample? It is in need of an editor. Sorry, but I'm just commenting on what I read in the sample. If self-published, you should still get an editor to edit the work for you before posting it for sale. You get ONE chance to make a first impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.