Writing to music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've noticed in a few other threads people mention writing to music. I have a 'soundtrack' to my various WsIP, but I don't actually listen to them while I am typing - I use them to get me in the mood, or I listen to them on my mp3 player while going for a walk, get the grey matter going, plan ahead and so on.

So I came up with a few questions:

Do you listen to music while you are actually writing/typing?

How does it make you feel? Do you find it speeds up your writing, or does it slow you down and make you think more?

Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on?

How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages?

Do you find it easier to work with classical music rather than, say, rock? (The reason I ask is, I find myself singing along to lyrics, which distracts me).

Any tips for not being distracted by song lyrics as I work? I really would like to train myself to be able to work with music and other noise in the background - that way I would find it easier to take my notebook everywhere, because I would know that no matter what was going on, I could still write. And as certain songs get me in the mood for writing, it would be useful to be able to carry that on, listen to music while writing, to keep me going for longer, to maintain that mood, if you will.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music to get me in the mood, but not while I'm writing, because it distracts me.

I listen to classical or instrumental stuff - namely Nobuo Uematsu, John Williams and Danny Elfman. Game and film scores. Yeah.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Yes, I listen to music when I write. Generally, it is classic rock that I used to listen to when I was growing up and reading. Now I find that as I play these same songs (generally Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, to name a few) it sort of gets my mind attuned to writing. Because I read so much sword and sorcery and other fantasies, these songs pluck a similar cord (chord?) in my imagination.

I actually find it difficult to write in silence and need a "soundtrack" of sorts to get me in the mood.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said:
I've noticed in a few other threads people mention writing to music. I have a 'soundtrack' to my various WsIP, but I don't actually listen to them while I am typing - I use them to get me in the mood, or I listen to them on my mp3 player while going for a walk, get the grey matter going, plan ahead and so on.

1) Do you listen to music while you are actually writing/typing?

2) How does it make you feel? Do you find it speeds up your writing, or does it slow you down and make you think more?

3) Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on?

4) How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages?

5) Do you find it easier to work with classical music rather than, say, rock? (The reason I ask is, I find myself singing along to lyrics, which distracts me).

6) Any tips for not being distracted by song lyrics as I work? I really would like to train myself to be able to work with music and other noise in the background - that way I would find it easier to take my notebook everywhere, because I would know that no matter what was going on, I could still write. And as certain songs get me in the mood for writing, it would be useful to be able to carry that on, listen to music while writing, to keep me going for longer, to maintain that mood, if you will.

Scarlet, I added some numbers in your 'quote' to make answering them a little easier...

1) Most of the time I listen to some sort of music while I write but not always. I've found that if I can find the "right" music it will trigger thoughts in my brain (for some people a certain scent will trigger a memory - music often does the same for me).

2) It depends on the music and the scene. I usually tend to play instrumental music - or music that the lyrics themselves seem 'musical' (Enya to me is like that - if I really concentrate on what she is singing I can understand the words, but otherwise, her voice is just like another wonderful instrument to me). Occasionally, if I'm writing a high action scene I will toss in Darude's Sandstorm (with multiple remixed tracks). It has a very heavy and fast beat and usually keeps the adrenaline pumping (and the writing comes out with a lot of energy - I hope! LOL)

3) I wish it didn't because I really enjoyed listening to Evanescence's Fallen but so far I haven't listened to that CD while working on my current WIP (though some of the tracks would probably work for some of my upcoming scenes).

4) One of my readers actually could sense a few of the tracks that may have been playing when I wrote certain scenes in my first book - and then went out and got the Evanescence CD to listen to the specific tracks while reading those scenes again. (which strangely, I think would be an interesting thing to try....writing a book with certain songs playing....have a CD soundtrack made for the book and then have readers listen to the background music while they read...I know, I know -I'm sure some will argue that if it was truly great writing the words would have their own 'music' but I enjoy trying new things! LOL)

5) I usually don't listen to the radio when I write. Rock music is too "modern" feeling for me - since most of what I write is fantasy (or dark fantasy/fantasy noir) - The original Crow movie soundtrack is something I would listen to for example.

6) Don't play anything that you normally sing along with in your daily life. I have separate music that I listen to for that - cleaning the house, doing chores etc...and then I have my "writing" music (and I try not to mix the two). Unfortunately, there were times when I'd hear Evanescence's songs on the radio while I was away from the computer and I swear, I'd forget what I was doing and start concentrating on my book (my wife would laugh at me because she'd see the glassy-eyed look I get when I step into the 'fantasy world').

I don't know if any of this will help you - but hopefully something will.

Take care and good luck with your writing. :)

goatpiper

Distraction Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently started writing without music, and the difference is amazing. Working in silence is now the only way for me. When I'm typing my WIP into a word processing program, I listen to music (I write my rough drafts by hand).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only work well in silence. I'm amazed at people who can write (or study) to music, claiming they hear it and accomplish what they intend to. I just can't.

When I have to have music (to drown out other sounds) I use headphones and play instrumental music. If's it's too rousing, or too familiar, I listen to it (bad writer, getting distracted again!). For me the complexity of Bach and of Jean-Luc Ponty at first stimulates, shortly before I stop hearing it because I'm 'in the groove.'

Still, I vastly prefer writing when the house is quiet.

Maryn, whose world is reasonably quiet now that nobody's mowing every waking hour

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I love instrumental-only music while I'm writing, in particular anything by Loreena McKennitt. It suits the mood perfectly, although I don't often put it on (the CD player is in another room and I hate using my computer to play music). If it's music I tend to want to sing along with, I can't listen to it while I'm trying to write. Same with radio or tv -- the talking is too distracting. But I can write while at a restaurant. Go figure.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
... And Happy Veterans Day

>>Do you listen to music while you are actually writing/typing?<<

Yep. If I don't, it's more difficult to focus.

>>How does it make you feel? Do you find it speeds up your writing, or does it slow you down and make you think more?<<

It provides a rhythm and helps focus certain passages. Depending on whatever type of music is playing, it can actually influence whatever is written.

>>Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on?<<

It changes. According to iTunes, I have 4.5 days worth of music. It comes from all genres.

>>How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages?<<

As mentioned, the tone of the music can sometimes help shape a scene or an outcome. It depends on if I had an idea in stone or if I was feeling flexible about the outcome. For instance, the soaring guitars of Joe Satriani's "Flying in a Blue Dream" might provide a different pacing than Dave Brubeck's "Blue Rondo ..." Lyrics do little. They've probably already made an impression on me sometime before I started writing.

As for the distraction of lyrics, find instrumentals to your tastes. If you're concentrating on the lyrics as you're writing, it probably means whatever music you've chosen as a mood setter ain't cuttin' it.

Finally, to all the Veterans -- US and allies, including me -- Happy Veterans Day.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Silence distracts me. I either work with the television on or music. Television can be distracting as well, so I tend to listen to my MP3 player. I either put the music on shuffle and listen to the whole playlist, or choose an artist that's appropriate for the subject/mood/whatever.

Plus, it's familiar and comfortable to have the earphones on. Just playing music from our cd player or one of the music stations on tv usually doesn't work.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I usually write to music. I find background noise comforting so I choose something to listen to for the evening and let it repeat ad infinitum. I notice the music during the first play, but by about the third time it's just background. When I really need to concentrate I either work in silence or listen to one of the CDs I know completely by heart. When I was still in school I referred to them as my study albums. Most of them have lyrics, but I know them so well that I can either choose to listen or choose to ignore them. These are songs that when I hear a different rendition they don't sound right because I have them engraved in my memory. If I'm doing something other than writing, like sculpting, then I throw a DVD in which I can listen to or watch.My music choices tend to be rock and roll. Styx (The Grand Illusion), Rush, Yes, and Jethro Tull are my favorites, also Loreena McKennett. Recently I discovered Blackmore's Night which is really good background for fantasy. Think old time minstrel songs with electric guitar.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I also need music or I get distracted. The music I listen to while writing has nothing to do with what I'm writing and I usually actually tune it out. But I still need the noise to concentrate. it's all in what you're used to. I started doing my homework in front of the TV at a young age -- which at first I found difficult but afterward found it was almost impossible for me to get anything done with out it.

I do like to have music that represents my work. I listen to very specific music when I'm brainstorming. It helps with the mood. I know what the mood of the piece is because I can always reference back to a song. Actually, I'm having trouble with a current WIP because I have no music that represents it and subsequently the mood and tone are all over the place.

I don't listen to classical music. When I'm writing I find it's best to listen to music I'm familar with and recognize. It's easier to tune out and feel at home with things you are familiar with. But for thinking about the work, my music certainly changes for each work.

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Fallen, My_Immortal (which is my favourite song on the album, by the way, along with Bring Me To Life) as I was listening to that myself, earlier, and trying to write to it.

I think I'll save that album for any vampire fiction I write in the future.

But thanks to all who have answered; they're all very interesting takes on the music 'debate'.

SeanDSchaffer

scarletpeaches said:

I do listen to music while I'm actually typing. I find for myself that it not only gets me into the groove, but personally, it keeps me there.

scarletpeaches said:
How does it make you feel? Do you find it speeds up your writing, or does it slow you down and make you think more?

It makes me feel good. However, I could not say whether or not it speeds me up or slows me down. I only know I can generally work more efficiently with music in the background.

scarletpeaches said:
Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on
scarletpeaches said:

Sometimes I have a 'playlist.' I find that my old 'Star Wars' soundtrack does a better job of inspiring me with my present work than, say, Hotel California does.

scarletpeaches said:
How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages
scarletpeaches said:

Sometimes I can find storylines following songs, though not often. The songs influence my writing, rather, by giving me a tempo to work with. A feeling, or a mood, is more what the music does for me personally.

scarletpeaches said:
Do you find it easier to work with classical music rather than, say, rock? (The reason I ask is, I find myself singing along to lyrics, which distracts me).

This really depends on my mood when I turn the music on. I ask myself what I want to listen to next, and put it on.

scarletpeaches said:
Any tips for not being distracted by song lyrics as I work? I really would like to train myself to be able to work with music and other noise in the background - that way I would find it easier to take my notebook everywhere, because I would know that no matter what was going on, I could still write. And as certain songs get me in the mood for writing, it would be useful to be able to carry that on, listen to music while writing, to keep me going for longer, to maintain that mood, if you will.

I couldn't really give any advice, per se. What I can say is what I personally experience, which is that, if I let the tempo--the beat--and the melody work together to create a mood within me, my work goes much better. If I'm taking and singing with the music, it's only because I'm truly enjoying the whole experience.

I wouldn't say that you should, say, block all the words out. Rather, I would say to let the words in and that you find out how to make them help you do a better job at your writing.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Don't pay attention to the strange lady with the wings.

Yes, I do, at least I prefer to. If not music, then I turn the TV on but angle the screen away. I call it my “The Cool Fire Syndrome”

I find that it drives reality away so I can concentrate on what is ‘not there’

Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on?

I have two playlists. 1) Music I prefer to write to and 2) Music I prefer to ‘murder’ to. One is for regular writing and the other is for when conflicts come up that will kill off a member of my ‘cast’.

How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages?

My second book is strongly influnced by Linkin Park, Disturbed, and Creed. I had to be careful to not quote lyrics! I hope that, when this gets published ( eventually) that the members of those groups will like my book.

I find it is easier to cook to classical music. Write??????!!!! Between Classical music and let’s say the drone of Meet The Press, I write much better to the drone. Classical can make me space out.

I think that after all of the years I have immunized myself. When I was younger, and then a few years ago when I went for my graduate degree, I found I had to turn on both TV’s to loud, turn on the stereo AND turn on my cd player to create an atmosphere where I could study undistracted. Leaf blowers and lawn mowers also help me. Usually, in a lock of noise void, I start thinking and I space out, and before I know it, an hour has passed and I have THOUGHT 10 pages of story, but have written 10 words. With a wall of sound, I find I don’t think, I just write.

But don’t go by me…my friends swear I am a sociopath, albeit harmless. ( Bah! What do THEY know!)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
1) Do you listen to music while you are actually writing/typing?

Yes. I've got a playlist of approximately 10-12 songs I play when I write. I try not to stop until I've gone through the whole playlist, so as well as working for the "mood," I have some kind of time set.

2) How does it make you feel? Do you find it speeds up your writing, or does it slow you down and make you think more?

When I'm writing in good flow, the music melts into the background and I don't really hear it. If I get stuck, I can usually stop for a minute or two, listen to the song playing. Every song I pick has a certain connection to the WIP, whether it's a certain scene or a character's voice.

3) Does the music change depending on the WIP, or do you have a set 'writing' playlist, no matter what you're working on?

I've only got one WIP, but sometimes I'll add a new song to the playlist, or take one out if the story goes in a different direction.

4) How do the songs or music influence your writing - that is, do you find sometimes that the 'storyline' of a song can show itself on your pages?
There have been a few songs where, when I listened them with the WIP in mind, a scene wrote itself in my head. For instance, I heard this waltz once, and I have a scene where my characters have to attend a masquerade. The song told me everything I needed to know and what exactly my characters were doing. I could map their actions out to the beats, if I needed to, and I didn't really have to think about it.

5) Do you find it easier to work with classical music rather than, say, rock? (The reason I ask is, I find myself singing along to lyrics, which distracts me).
It doesn't matter, as long as the song works. I've got Sarah McLachlin, Seal, Matchbox 20, Rufus Wainwright, Coldplay, and about a dozen other artists whose names won't be as recognizable. Point is, they're all varying musical genres, and different genres help different moods and scenes along.

6) Any tips for not being distracted by song lyrics as I work? I really would like to train myself to be able to work with music and other noise in the background - that way I would find it easier to take my notebook everywhere, because I would know that no matter what was going on, I could still write. And as certain songs get me in the mood for writing, it would be useful to be able to carry that on, listen to music while writing, to keep me going for longer, to maintain that mood, if you will.

Not sure I can help here, since I don't have a problem with music. But, I would suggest that, since you're distracted by the music, you're listening to the wrong stuff. It shouldn't be fighting for your attention with the WIP, so make sure every song you select is either mellow, or really fits with the mood and characters.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
music

I more often listen to talk radio, or old time radio dramas such as Fibber McGee & Molly, the Jack Benny Show, etc. But I do listen to either classic or Celtic music fairly often.

I don't think it makes me feel any certain way. And it doesn't seem to speed up or slow down my writing. I listen because I enjoy the music.

The type of music I listen to almost never changes. I simply listen to what I like.

No influence that I can tell.

Lyrics can be distracting, but I listen to Celtic music with lyrics often, and they don't bother me. Maybe because most are in gaelic. But I do listen to them as I write because I find them beautiful.

Hmmm. Practice, I guess. I've learned to pay attention to talk radio, old time radio dramas, and Gaelic lyrics while wriitng, so it can be done.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I am very much a music person, and because of that, I can't listen to it when I'm writing. I pay attention to it when I listen. I can't even really have it on while I have friends over, because I ignore them and sing along.

sandoz

Registered
Reaction score
Can't imagine writing to any music, except occasionally classical (yeah, enya too maybe) played very low in the background. I prefer strong lyrics, which interrupt any focus I have on my own words. Otherwise all my stuff would come out sounding like Bob Dylan (which would be wonderful, if it wasn't plagarism).

I live above downtown square in a crowded city and overhear the sounds of conversations and firecrackers and motorbikes (and accordions -- can these be blown out with BB guns?) that continue into the morning hours. It allows for coffeeshop intimacy while writing removed three stories above the action below, which is a thrill. Love it.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score

Not while I'm writing. I listen every now and then while I am working up an ideas sheet or getting into the mood to write.

The music makes me think more, that's why I listen when I working ideas. I can't listen while writing because I get distracted.

I have some songs that I listen to that works for any WIP. There are a couple times when I listen to certain songs that get my mind going in a different direction.

I usually imagine my characters listening to the music. Also, how they would react if they were in the same situations as the music, or in the situation the background music could be referring to. Such as soft background music could be when my characters are relaxing.

I work better with soft rock or classical. I have a friend that goes by hard rock, and says it works great. When I'm listening to the music, there are times that I start singing with the lyrics, but I just imagine my character singing them instead and wonder why they would be. Or I just enjoy my moment of singing with the lyrics and listen to it again so I can think about it.

I just try to get my singing out, then start working on listening to the music for writing. When I take my music with me and I want to write, I listen for a while then start the CD over and start working on writing. That way I still have the fun of listening and singing, and writing.

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love to listen to music while I'm writing. I do listen while I'm actually typing but sometimes it's a bit distracting. Depends on what I'm typing and what's playing. I have a writing playlist called "working at nite". The range of sounds is wide. There's George Clinton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jill Scott, Simon and Garfunkel and a bunch more.

I had one called "working - soothing" but it got corrupted somehow and I had to delete it. That was a wide range of artists as well but mostly sexy-sounding tunes, to get me in the mood for my first novel.

When the music gets too distracting, I just turn it off. I can't do that with the world however, and I really prefer music to any other sounds when I'm writing (other than silence or birds singing). There are times I can write regardless of what's going on around me, but I don't know what the secret is. It just seems to happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it a coincidence that muse and muse-ic sound almost the same?

Perhaps you can't wait for the muse to strike...you have to drag her in by the hair. Then make her dance. :D

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
I listen to music. Opera most of the time, and I have special operas or parts of operas for certain novels or certain scenes.

One of my favourites for Storm over Hadrian's Wall is Bellini's Norma, while I use Donizetti's L'esule di Roma or Polliuto for the Rome scenes of Endangered Frontiers. Verdi's Battaglia di Legnano, Donizett's Don Sebastiano and Belisario work for battle scenes, and Wagner's Tannhäuser (esp. the scenes in the Wartburg Hall) work for official scenes like meetings with a king in my Mediaeval saga, and Weber's Euryanthe generaly is fine for Kings and Rebels. Mozart's Idomeneo is one of those that goes with The Charioteer though I can't even say why. When I need a dark mood, Verdi's Macbeth is perfect, or Mussogsky's Boris Godunov.

Just to name a few; my collection encompasses about 100 operas by now, not to mention songs and recitals.

Last edited:

sanctuary6284

Mental Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes listen to music to get in the mood. Once my pen hits the paper or I start typing and I get in a groove the music kind of fades away. More than once I've stopped writing only to realize that the music stopped playing 30 or 40 minutes ago.

The only music I can't listen to is something I've never heard before as it takes away my focus. I honestly have a harder time focusing if I don't have a momentary distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.