Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Whenever depressing/bleak novels are mentioned, I never hear this one brought up. It's been forever since I've read it (high school) but I remember it being very sad. Does anyone else like it? Do you consider it a dark or depressing novel?

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading it in a few weeks, tell you then ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
God, no! I love this novel. I read it once a year. It makes me so happy. I find it uplifting. If you like it, I wonder if you have discovered Anne Rice's Feast of All Saints? It's her Great Expectations...one of my fav novels!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I regard it as Dickens' masterpiece.

Sadly, it was also inadvertently the source of the worst literary travesty in recent years: A decade or so ago, Hollywood decided to make a version of GE, set in modern times. They then licensed a writer and publisher to release a "novelization" of the movie, titled:

Great Expectations.

You can probably find a copy in a cheap used bookstore somewhere, if you're interested.

caw

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It starts off depressing but it gets better after that. But then again it is Dickens and most all of his works have a dark tint to them.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
God, no! I love this novel. I read it once a year. It makes me so happy. I find it uplifting. If you like it, I wonder if you have discovered Anne Rice's Feast of All Saints? It's her Great Expectations...one of my fav novels!

I haven't come across that one, actually. I'll have to check it out.

And I do find bleak novels uplifting, but gosh...

***SPOILER ALERT***

...I really wanted them to get together, even if she was a jerk. I kept thinking she'd come around.

^ spoiler above, and just as a side note, I think it should be a rule that all potential-spoilers be in white font...

slindeman

Call me Scott
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't find it depressing or bleak at all. It has a lot of humor in it, memorable characters and scenes, and some twists at the end. Sure, Pip learns a good deal about life, often the hard way, but that is not depressing in itself.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite Dickens, and not at all his bleakest book. That would be Hard Times, IMO.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I read a lot of books, and Great Expectations was my favourite among them. Sure it is a gothic novel with that gloomy atmosphere, but it didn't make me depressed in the way that e.g. 1984 did. Great Expectations rather made me a bit happy. Maybe it is just known to be depressing because it was more so than contemporary books that were supposed to always end happily or something. My previous boyfriend found it very depressing though, and he wished that he had never read it.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I loved it myself. Reading Great Expectations was one of the highlights of my young life and part of the reason I wanted to start writing. I'm just wondering was it unusual for me to read this novel at age 9? I loved it so much I read it three times in the next few years. Anyway, it was kind of depressing but not so much to take the joy away from it.

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
I read Dickens in college but probably hadn't touched any of his works since and I've just now finished GE, and I didn't find it in the least depressing. Actually, parts of it are quite funny. Dickens was rather sarcastic.

The original ending was sadder than the altered version we've all read (where they meet in the garden of what was Satis House). I'm glad he changed it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Great Expectations strikes me as the Dickens novel that has best survived the passage of a century-and-a-half. Still fresh, and less digressive by today's reading standards than many of his other (and longer) novels.

I'd recommend GE as the novel to read for anyone who's never read any other Dickens.

caw

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I especially enjoyed the madness of Ms. Havisham, considering I knew a person just like her.