The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
The thread arrives without warning...

Sorry. I couldn't resist. All things Night Circus. Are you obsessed like I am? Do you wish you could read it over for the first time knowing it won't be the same the second time through now that you know everything?

Talk to me! I'm dying for people to have read it!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*moral support*

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it all in one sitting. I couldn't stop reading.
I wondered, when I'd read a couple of the reviews, whether I'd find the non-linear thing jarring but I didn't. It flows together so seamlessly.
4b I know what you mean about the whole first time thing. I'm envious of those who have yet to read it. I'll be reading it again and I have a feeling it'll be one of those books I'll keep going back to as a comfort rea.
Absolutely loved it.

Yay, Evie!

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
When I read it the second time, I noticed a lot more little things that I'd missed the first time, when I was more concerned with immersing myself in the book.

SPOILER: I discovered, particularly when Celia and Marco are in their late teens and early twenties and the circus is about to start up/in its first few years, you can find more hints in their adult selves that are throwbacks to their childhoods. A childhood with a certain form of love, but coupled with Hector's detached brutality for Celia, and a childhood mostly devoid of human interaction for Marco. It showed more clearly in the second reading than the first, and I found it fascinating.

And I also obviously adored it. :LilLove:

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I've been avoiding tearing into it a second time. For one, because I'm reading St@c3y Sch1ff's Cl30p@tr@ bio and it's so dense I'm having issues with sorting out that incestuous family tree, but for the other, I'm afraid of ruining that feeling of discovery as you read each new bit.

I tore through Night Circus, starting at midnight, but I actually took longer to read it than even the final H@rry P0tt3r because I kept taking breaks, wanting to savor the imagery. I can still close my eyes and SEE the cloud maze, which is amazing; there are few books with world-building done that well.

And vfury, Mac assures me spoilers are expected in here. Although I'm tiptoeing this far out of R&D. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My copy just arrived and I can't wait to finish the dud I'm reading to start The Night Circus.

I'll be back when I get to The End!!

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I finished it on Friday and absolutely adored it. I usually read pretty fast, but I ended up taking it slow so that I could savor it.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yes. And Evie is an AWer. And I'm sitting on anyone who doesn't read it. So that gives you three reasons. :) Get thee hence, read, and return to us to discuss, and hurry. :D

QFT.

Also, 4B's, I thought that for a little while, I think until I caught up with Celia again and was like "ahhhh two different people. Okay." Other than that I'm usually prone to think people go under false names etc. anyway, so yeah, that's definitely been there for me.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
QFT.

Also, 4B's, I thought that for a little while, I think until I caught up with Celia again and was like "ahhhh two different people. Okay." Other than that I'm usually prone to think people go under false names etc. anyway, so yeah, that's definitely been there for me.

I was thinking for a bit there that she was the more initially devious of the two -- that Prospero had made her that cold that she could play him to his face -- but I was happy when I realized they were two different people. I'm not sure that if they HAD been one person, she could have come back from that initial deception.

But I wonder if my perception of Isobel was colored from that belief? It's one of the reasons I know I have to reread; if I know who Isobel is from the start, will I still dislike her intensely? (Because I did)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I can't afford to buy a book these days, but I'll put it on my B&N Wish List.

Sounds interesting from the synopsis.

Mysterious traveling circuses have long been a good subject. Is this novel reminiscent in any way of the treatment of that subject by Bradbury, or Charles G. Finney, or Tom Reamy?

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I can't afford to buy a book these days, but I'll put it on my B&N Wish List.

Sounds interesting from the synopsis.

Mysterious traveling circuses have long been a good subject. Is this novel reminiscent in any way of the treatment of that subject by Bradbury, or Charles G. Finney, or Tom Reamy?

There's always the library. :D

It's not Bradbury, and I've never read Reamy or Finney; I'm sorry to say.

If I had to compare my faves, I'd say it's a bit of Gruen mixed with Esquivel and then a world-building all its own. She manages to layer the magical realism of this circus over this darker business underneath and have it seamlessly intersect.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
If I had to compare my faves, I'd say it's a bit of Gruen mixed with Esquivel and then a world-building all its own. She manages to layer the magical realism of this circus over this darker business underneath and have it seamlessly intersect.
That's hard to pull off without straying into either the precious or the depressing. So, that's impressive. (And now I'll have to look up Gruen and Esquivel.)

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
That's hard to pull off without straying into either the precious or the depressing. So, that's impressive. (And now I'll have to look up Gruen and Esquivel.)

Oh good. I feel better, then about not having read your two. I tend to read any magical realism I can get my hands on. Esquivel is best known for Como agua para chocolate (released in U.S. as Like Water for Chocolate, with associated movie). I've also read a lot of Isabel Allende, with my fave still being her first (holy cow... still can't believe it was her debut) La casa de los espiritus (The House of the Spirits, again with associated movie, although this one wasn't nearly as good as the adaptation of Esquivel's).

Oops... I got off track there. And yes, it is impressive. The world-building is fascinating, and at times, you can see where it really could have veered off into the precious if there wasn't this very sinister back story going on underneath.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You got me curious now. It's on my "to read" list and I won't read this thread for fear of spoilers

(please put a notice in the thread title if spoilers there be).

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You got me curious now. It's on my "to read" list and I won't read this thread for fear of spoilers

(please put a notice in the thread title if spoilers there be).

Ah, no, sorry. From the sticky at the top of the forum:

Discussions of books in this forum will include spoilers. This forum is designed for a frank discussion of specific books by people who have read the books. In order not to spoil the flow of conversation it will not be considered essential to note spoilers in posts or thread titles, nor rude to post un-warned spoiler comments.

I'm reading the posts in this thread, but very fast, with my eyes half-closed. :D