Yet another self-publishing diary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
Being a compilation of notes and particulars as to the publication of City of Roses Vol. 1: "Wake up..."

Some context, methods, & software.

The overall work is intended to consist of 22 episodes of roughly 14,000 words each, as self-contained as any given episode of a strong, arc-driven television program. 15 chapters have been completed to date, and the full contents are available for free online in HTML form. But enough people (two? three?) had expressed an interest in reading it on a Kindle or iPad or smartphone, or had expressed a dislike of reading it on the web, that I decided to bite the bullet and prep an ebook. I've resisted for a while, disliking the hodge-podge of formats and the utter crapshoot that is the final product in all the places it might well end up; finally, working with a reasonably recent build of Sigil, I was able to generate files I could live with. I decided to rather crudely break the overall story exactly in half, so that volume 1 would consist of 11 episodes, or roughly 150,000 words; even though it breaks on a nasty cliffhanger, that felt better than breaking the story into halves of 9 and 13 episodes, or 12 and 10. —The text is composed in Scrivener; Tex-Edit and Dean Allen's HTML markup scripts are used to prepare the text for web publishing (a very old step from previous workflows; I should really take the time to teach myself how best to export straight from Scrivener to HTML, since that's one of its strengths); the text is then typeset in InDesign for the paper chapbook versions of each installment. (So the final text is live in three places: Scrivener archives, the website, and the InDesign files. Makes late edits fun!)

To generate the EPUB, I took the HTML from the website versions and flowed that into Sigil, then tinkered with the results until I had something workable. (I've tried InDesign's EPUB generation tools and was not impressed at all. I haven't yet tried Scrivener's export to EPUB function.) I then used Calibre to convert the EPUB to a MOBI for the (blasted) Kindle, and later in the process ended up with a "pretty" PDF; all three are hosted as separate Google docs, and purchasers through the website receive an email with the relevant links to download any or all versions for a single price.

Pricing and sales channels.

I decided to price the ebook of 11 chapters at $3.00, following the logic of Nick Mamatas: the price of a used book, which is about the clearest signal we can get as to the pricing of the contents of a book minus all the physical accoutrements, should be used to suggest the price of an ebook.

I then took the initial EPUB and ran it through Barnes and Noble's PubIt and Lulu's ebook publishing mills, got it validated at both locations, and priced it identically. (Lulu has since indicated that the EPUB isn't valid for its premium listings; since there's nothing wrong with the EPUB itself, I can only assume it has something to do with the listing, or something, but I only just discovered that today, and haven't had time to poke. —When I say "indicated," I don't mean "sent an automated email," I mean stuck a graphic next to the title on a report generated at the website which if noticed and clicked would then take you to a page which merely told you it was invalid, not why. Not big on communication, these folks.)

Then it was time for Smashwords. My lovely, rigorous EPUB wouldn't do there; I had to take the text of all 11 chapters, strip out all formatting, flow it into a plain Word doc, and then put all the italics and chapter headings back in by hand, and build the ugly table of contents Smashwords needs to generate navigational links for its more abstruse variants. So that took a while, and it took a while longer for the resulting ebook to be validated for the premium sales channels (iTunes, Scrollmotion, Kobo, etc.); Smashwords finally went live in July.

While I was waiting, I figured out that Smashwords' pending integration with Amazon was perpetually pending. I'd resisted publishing to the Kindle directly myself, because the MOBI format just annoys the hell out of me, but I wanted to have an ebook listed on Amazon, so decided to take the MOBI I'd built earlier and publish that through Kindle Direct, which went live in July as well.

And finally, having done all this, I decided I wanted a paper book as well. Dammit. I started trying Lulu, but despite claiming to offer a mass-market paperback trim size (they even offer a Word template for it), that size was utterly unavailable when it came time to try and build the book itself, so I went with CreateSpace instead. They didn't offer a mass-market size, but the 5x8 trim size they had did exist, so I went with that. I took the InDesign files from the paper chapbooks and flowed them into a new InDesign document, then printed a PDF from that. Hey presto.

105.jpg

So! That was how I spent my summer: most of May, June, and half of July. Ebooks and a POD option available through a shotgun blast of sales channels. The results?

Results (to date).

111.gif

Yeah, so. Fame and fortune, just around the corner. Right?

A conclusion?

Well, actually, first there's an enormous piece missing, the magic bullet, to wit: marketing.

So then: press releases and review copies to local and genre media outlets; modified press releases, review copies, requests for review, etc. to book bloggers on a rolling basis as I find them; author pages on LibraryThing, Goodreads, Shelfari, and Amazon; a LibraryThing giveaway of 10 copies for review; a minuscule amount spent on ad campaigns through Project Wonderful (~$70, 1.3 million ad views, 465 click-throughs); the generous allotment of a month's worth of advertising here, for which many thanks, and to which at least one of the website sales of an ebook can be directly attributed (you know, I presume, who you are); and tabling at the Portland Zine Symposium, where I sold the three in-person copies of the physical book (all to friends or acquaintances), and, not incidentally, made almost half the $34 in profit noted above. —As well as that, of course, the history and name I've built over the years publishing in the webfiction community.

All of that work, then, on top of most of May and June and half of July and of course the uncounted and God willing uncountable time spent sitting at the desk typing the words into Scrivener in the first place: for which the sum of thirty-four dollars. —If nothing else, seeing it all laid out like that makes one appreciate the ego and sheer bloody-minded fuck-all stubborn-as-a-God-damned-mule mindset necessary to do whatever it is this is.

The upside? At least the publisher isn't going to kill the book just because it isn't selling well. (Cue bleak, obviously canned laugh-track.) —Boiled down to a takeaway, though it comes out something like: it is difficult to sell unless one is known; it is difficult to be known, unless one has sold. Which, I mean, ain't nobody on the planet doesn't have that problem.

I'll be focusing for the next little while on trying to get a review, any review (I think it was Messr. Macdonald who noted the slushpile's moved on to the reviewer? Well here I am, shoveling slush) in the hopes of a mention, any mention, to drive more holy traffic, and of course for the egoboo that comes when one is read, or at the very least noticed. —And also writing; more writing. If I can stay on schedule, Volume 2: The Dazzle of Day will just about be done this time next year, which means I get to do this all over again...

Deleted member 42

Kip I'm going to write a review. I've got paid work to finish on deadline, but I've got a draft of City of Roses.

This is a lovely work people. It's urban fantasy with a heart, and lush prose.

I've been waiting for What Happens Next, for, I dunno, since Kip posted the first chapter.

This is one book that (pace kip) really does need a commercial publisher. It's too good for a niche.

Ditch InDesign for Scrivener's ePub; you'll still want to do some minor tweaking, but it's a better tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
I should have been more clear: a couple of kind souls, the Medievalist most notable among them, have promised reviews in-depth or otherwise, and press has been garnered in such places as Faenation.com. (Thanks, Lisa. I await with bated breath and fingers crossed and wood knocked and loose salt ready to toss over my shoulder.) (—And I should note: those editors and agents who have reviewed the work for less niche-y niches have been unanimous in noting that the work, as-is, is "too episodic." Which, I mean, is, well, is what you get when you set out to write an episodic work I mean am I missing something here? —Probably. But it has nothing to do with the strictly self-publishing end of these proceedings, and so.)

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
Kip, your diary sounds almost exactly like what I did this summer as well, and I'm in the same boat with sales being pretty underwhelming. I think I've sold about 25 copies between paperback and kindle/Nook formats since it was released at the end of August, but most of those are to friends and family, so I'm not sure how much they count. (I only just recently caved and put it on Smashwords, so I won't see sales figures from iBooks and the like for a while.)

So far I've gotten one book blogger review (5 stars, so at least there's that). The others that said they were interested haven't gotten around to reading it yet, and I'm trying to be patient. :)

I've got a GoodReads giveaway going, but I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it. For one thing, I set it for an entire month, which may have been too long. No one is going to buy the book as long as they have a chance to win it for free, and by the time the month is over, most will probably forget all about it. So even though the giveaway is entered by over 600 people, and 200 have put it on their to-read list, I suspect very few of those will turn into sales. My GoodReads ad also doesn't seem to be generating much, and the Facebook ad I just started got me a few more likes but no sales that I can see.

Promotion is a frustrating business, isn't it?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads and Facebook ads don't really do a lot for sales at all - I speak from experience. ;) The best places for ads are the ones that are perpetually booked out to infinity - Pixel of Ink and Kindle Nation Daily, for example. Most ads only give you a temporary surge, however, and even those drop you back to pre-existing levels quickly enough. I waffled and waffled about buying an ad on KND, and they have a list of their 'success' stories and how well they did, and then I turned around and looked up the authors that had purchased ads a few months prior, and they were all back to pre-ad rankings.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. Just trying to offer perspective. :)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
A few suggestions, just from things I've learned. Your signature leads to a page where Amazon/B&N/etc are not listed anywhere. I cannot find information about the book or where it is available for sale. Your website, while quirky and charming, is useless to a shopper looking to find out about your ebook for sale.

I looked you up on Amazon. Your cover looks a little faded, the title disappearing into the background. You might consider reworking the art. Someone told me once that my ebooks looked amateur and that the covers make a big difference. They absolutely do. I scoffed at that person...and then I went and changed my covers, and my sales immediately improved.

Your title doesn't match your cover (and your title is in quotes, which is odd to me?) I changed the cover on one of my books three different times in a row before I found one that increased my sales.

Your blurb has typos, and while the premise sounds intriguing, as a reader, I'd be scared away of all the "episodes so far" mentions. I want to know I'm getting a fully developed story, not just part of it.

I know MeiLin Miranda has a serial set of 'episodes' she is selling via ebook and I think she has struggled with perception and how to market them as well.

Just my two cents from a browsing perspective as a potential buyer. :)

ETA - Your sample is great. That's definitely not what is holding your sales back.

Last edited:

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
Irysangel: which blurb where had typos? I've had to go hunting through a bunch where at some step along the way from this text box to that distribution outlet an em-dash or a smart-quote had some adventures and turned into ex-unicode gibberish, but that's all I could think of. (Now I'm desperately certain my fly's been down all along.) —Also, the cover's been one of the things some people really perk up at; this might be a variance in mileage.

As for the sig used here at Absolute Write: that's far more to gently promote the work in general, not the ebook. My æsthetic sensibilities prevent me from larding the opening page with ads for the damn thing; a failing, perhaps, on my part.

The title is one of those dreaded portmanteaux: The book itself is titled “Wake up...”, as in, something that is being said (hence the quotes, hence the lack of capitalization, hence the ellipsis); but it's also Volume 1 of the overall work, City of Roses. The full title some might say would then be City of Roses Volume 1: “Wake up...” Outlets will render the title differently in different ways, depending on how you're allowed to enter titles and whether series and volumes are tracked or not; I have tried to be Zen about the whole thing. Much as I had to let go of font control and proper ding placement on the ebooks.

(I'm not sure why the title ended up the way it did? Again, the ebook parcel has been something of an afterthought. Nor am I sure how I feel about the fact that sales might well improve if it's changed from “Wake up...” to, say, Wake Up.)

And there's a whole 'nother discussion about the differing expectations of audiences when it comes to books and television programs and comics, and the nature of serial, episodic fiction, and "waiting for the trade," and what constitutes a "finished" work, and why the novel qua novel is the shape it is, anyway.

None of which is to take away from or disagree at all with any of the all-too-terribly valid points brought up. (Especially the one about the quality of the sample. Thank you! I beam. —That's the important thing, right there; the rest is hawking and window dressing. And I wish sometimes I weren't so put off by the subject. I've tabled at comics cons and zine shows, and there's a palpable difference between putting the book on the table and standing there, waiting, and putting the book on the table and saying hello to people and pitching them and engaging them, and it feels foolish sometimes and it's a lot of work and people will look at you funny, but there it is, and here we are. Chop wood. Carry water. Repeat.)

pangalactic: Old skool zinesterism all the way. Color covers are printed at Kinko's, usually, on plain copier paper; innards are printed wherever and whenever I have access to a decent black and white printer for whatever I can cajole. Binding by hand with the saddle stapler on the floor of the TV room with a movie I've seen before on in the background. They can be as cheap as 65 cents and as expensive as $1.40, not counting time and effort; I sell 'em for $3 a pop, and place them at various zine and comics shops on consignment for 50 - 60 per cent of the cover price.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
No, absolutely! I think you do bring up a valid point that it's the expectations of audience as well. I'm not familiar with zines and episodic-style stories, so perhaps if you market, you focus your efforts there, because I do think there is a thriving (if small) audience.

The reason I brought up the title is not because I think sales will automatically go through the roof if you change it to Wake Up from "Wake Up", but that a lot of readers look for any excuse to walk away from a self-published book. They've been burned too many times in the past (just take a look at my free one, where most of the reviews are "Wow, I had no idea a free book could be good." erm?).

A reader might perceive it to be a typo - as a business-person, I'm trying to give my reader as few reasons to walk away from my story as possible. I think it's the same with your use of dashes. I noticed in your post that you used it again, so I think it's a stylistic choice for you (spacing on one side of the dash but not the other), but as a browser, I thought it was a typo. The colon in your blurb sticks out to me as a reader, because I'm not sure that the phrase following it is an appositive or a list, so it might be another style choice that I thought was a typo (and I'll show my ignorance here).

Anyhow, it wasn't meant to criticize but to help. I'm an obsessive tweaker. :)

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
Oh, yeah, me and em-dashes. Oh my. Dashes in general. —Lovely things; when used at the end or beginning of a sentence, they're like semi-colons for paragraphs: joining two thoughts that are separate, but not separate enough for new paragraphs (or to set off dialogue when not using quotation marks, of course)—and when used at the beginning or end of a sentence, a space before or after to separate it appropriately. (One should otherwise of course never put spaces around an em-dash: they already stand out far too much.) —The hilarious thing (for me, at least) is I picked up the habit when I was trying to mimic William Vollmann's achingly po-faced style, with its naïvely arch use of Victorian furniture; I thought of him obsessively setting the em-dashes properly throughout his work, and the mighty battles he must've fought with copy editors to secure their placement, and was warmed. And then I went back to the books sometime later and discovered how haphazard their placement actually was, with—gasp!—spaces placed on both sides and no thought at all to the irruption of the flow on the page. The careful rules and nuances I'd adopted for their use had been mostly, what, a ghost? A figment? A half-remembered game?

—Anyway, I'm stuck with them, in my "essayist" voice. (When used at the beginning of a paragraph like that, they help to signal a more abrupt jump: not quite a section break, but more than a paragraph. At least they do to me? —My, look at the tumbleweeds.) So much so that I don't even balk at using them in something like a book blurb. —This petard, it hoists, you say?

I go on at such length A) because it's something to do instead of a coffee break and B) because, of course, in the lushly spare, gonzo hard-boiled prose I use in City of Roses an em-dash would stick out like an Edwardian dandy with a sore thumb. So I use en-dashes instead, which, of course, require spaces to either side to be seen as the interruptions they are. Far less nuance than an em-dash with the panoply of rules I've (apparently) made up for them, but far sleeker and more modern. Dashing, even.

And so.

(And criticism is always help! To pull us back from the edge of derail. Thanks again!)

Deleted member 42

So I use en-dashes instead, which, of course, require spaces to either side to be seen as the interruptions they are. Far less nuance than an em-dash with the panoply of rules I've (apparently) made up for them, but far sleeker and more modern. Dashing, even.)

Sir:

The en-dash is reserved for numeric ranges, as in dates and page numbers, with very very few exceptions.

Your typesetter's license will be collected directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
Pish and tosh. —It's a stylistic thing, more commonly used on the continent, or so I am told. But what do they know of typesetting? I mean have you seen what the Germans do with quotation marks?

Deleted member 42

Pish and tosh. —It's a stylistic thing, more commonly used on the continent, or so I am told. But what do they know of typesetting? I mean have you seen what the Germans do with quotation marks?

You're on My List now.

Seriously folks, I'm a bitter curmudgeonly reader, but I really like City of Roses, and that includes City of Roses: Wakup.

It's interesting to me as someone who has studied publishing history—it's very much the way early novels were published as "serials," right down to the fact that you could get the separate episodes as pamphlets, crudely stitched down the middle, and then, when you had them all, go to your local bookshop/bindery and have them bound with the sort of covers you fancied (and could afford).

Despite a lot of the brouhaha about new paradigms and shite like that, we're actually revisiting very old paradigms.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I think I read about you a few months back in the Oregonian, no? I ripped out the article and put it on the pile of things I want to keep and re-read someday. Probably in the local pile (I'm metro pdx).

Glad to be reminded of you. And now, I'm going to download "Wake Up" to my iPod Touch. Don't have an ereader yet.

ETA: Oops. When I went to download it, I got a message saying I'd already downloaded it back on July 18. I should get an ereader. I keep downloading stuff to the iPod or the laptop but then I don't really like reading from them so I tend to forget. But, for this, I'll make an exception.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Staples are crude. And Medievalist is right about en- and em-dashes. So there.

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
juniper: I was in A&E around about Hallowe'en of 2009 (I'm sure I have a link around here somewhere), with a lovely illustration by Vera Brosgol; was there something more recent that I missed? (And thanks!)

And as far as staples go: I'll allow as how they're brutal, punching hideously sharp bits of metal through yielding paper, rending the fibers asunder, only to slam those bits of metal flat against a plate on the other side; some sort of metaphor for life, no doubt. But they're only crude when the damn things turn or twist on impact or the staples refuse to properly separate from the bundle in the magazine and you have to pry the failure out and try again and inevitably end up punching new holes and everyone's sad. Mostly, I'd proclaim them elegant in their simplicity.

Muttons and nuts: Dean Allen's always been my lodestar when it comes to typesetting, either on paper or the screen; rather, ideas I got in my head when I read Dean Allen's lovely but defunct blog way back at the turn of the millennium. This old post is still as lovely a general statement on the setting of type as one might hope to read, even if one disagrees with the particulars (British conventions re: dialogue just look wrong to American eyes, and properly so, and we've come a long way with type on screen in the past ten years, such that the best-set blogs happily burst the design limitations one had to keep in mind in those early aughty Dark Ages); still: the principles hold true. —But looking at pretties like that just makes me itch to redesign my blogs. Down! Back! Sit! —The whole point of the narrative voice of City of Roses (if I might be permitted to self-pontificate a moment) is to be flat and affectless, to get out of the way, to show rather than tell, to only provide specific, tangible, objective facts rather than generalities or judgment calls; to be, in a word, clear. (Or rather, to make a show of being those things; I have weird ideas of what it means to be clear, and affectless, and anyway these are all impossible ideals, though there's a fun game to be played in failing to meet them, but we're haring off into another whole post entirely, aren't we.) —Anyway: with that in mind: I wanted the sleek, the stripped-down, the spare, and so I went with the nut rather than the mutton for irruptions and interruptions in that text, much as I only allow emphatic italics or colons semi- or otherwise in dialogue rather than that plain flat affectless narrative voice. —The things you think about to avoid thinking about the things you need to be thinking about; the things you tell yourself so you can keep telling the things you want to tell.

But that's three cups of coffee and the pot's done. Time to make the oatmeal.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I tried to find your book on Smashwords but couldn't. Neither "wake up!" nor "city of roses", nor "city of roses wake up" gave any results aside from a bunch of stuff I wasn't looking for.
Just saying.

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
If you're filtering for adult content (the default setting on Smashwords searches), you won't see it; there's bad words and naughty bits (or, "language, situations or images inappropriate for children under 18 years of age." While I think any mature 13ish-year-old on up could handle it, one errs on the side of caution in these things). —Google can find it no prob: Smashwords is the third hit for "city of roses" "wake up", and the second for "city of roses" "kip manley".

Deleted member 42

Seriously, folks, I'm a very selective reader.

This is good.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
A very English American adventure. A dryer Douglas Adams, a softer Laymon, a more subdued (so far) Barker, Gaiman too come to mind as famous folks to mention when trying to describe the style.
I can definitely recommend City Of Roses.

Status
Not open for further replies.