Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #26
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post

Heya ppls I started doing short stories just the past 2 mths and thought I'd look into doing this if I could?
You sure can, KitCat! along *dances*

Oh, and in case any of you new W1S1 peeps aren't sure, here are some of our favorite hangouts:

Check-in Lounge -- for general W1S1 chitchat
Rejectomancy -- to discuss the arcane art of rejectomancy or, in simpler English, a place for hugs when a venue turns down one of our stories
Braggage -- to share our accomplishments
The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market-Thread -- to talk about new places to sell our stuff
The official W1S1 blog -- where you can catch up with the peeps who are participating in the challenge but not on AW. There's weekly check-ins, plus midweek posts that are full of writerly goodness.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #27
KitCat
practical experience, FTW

KitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of light
thanks is there anything in particular we need to do?
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat
Part of AW's own Crit Circle 2014
KitCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Welcome aboard, KitCat!
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #29
KitCat

KitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks! Nice to join you all
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat
Part of AW's own Crit Circle 2014
KitCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #30
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
thanks is there anything in particular we need to do?
Just write, polish and submit whatever you've decided for the challenge (a story a month, or a story a week, or one story every two weeks, or however you want to spread it ). Hanging out with us is optional, but i find doing so is good motivation.

If you're looking for places to submit your stories, i've got just the thread for you.

If you'd like people to crit your stories, you can do so in SYW, or if you'd prefer a private crit or two you can ask in our Beta Readers/Crit Requests thread. And offer to crit when you can, too. I learn more about writing from critting the work of others than i do getting my own work critted.

Last edited by Izz; 11-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #31
JenniferB
figuring it all out

JenniferB is on a distinguished road
I'd like to join the short story challenge for 2012. Don't know yet if I will try for monthly or weekly.

I blog at The Writing Cocoon.
Find me at NaNoWriMo 2011.
Google+

JenniferB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
chickenrising

chickenrising is well-respected
I'd like to join for one a month.
chickenrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
I'd like to join the short story challenge for 2012. Don't know yet if I will try for monthly or weekly.
Yay, Jennifer! Welcome along. You can tailor the challenge to whatever suits you. For instance, one a month might be too few, but one a week too many. Why not try two a month? For me, one a month next year will probably be too much, so i'm going to go for one every two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenrising View Post
I'd like to join for one a month.
w00t! *dances* welcome aboard, chickenrising!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #34
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

mfowler76 is on a distinguished road
We're going full-steam ahead into 2012! Write1Sub1

Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #35
JenniferB
figuring it all out

JenniferB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Yay, Jennifer! Welcome along. You can tailor the challenge to whatever suits you. For instance, one a month might be too few, but one a week too many. Why not try two a month? For me, one a month next year will probably be too much, so i'm going to go for one every two months.
I really want to go for one a week, but I really don't know how long it will take to write, edit, research markets and submit. Perhaps I'll start the first quarter with 2x/month and see how that goes? I'm excited to start submitting! (and terrified)

I blog at The Writing Cocoon.
Find me at NaNoWriMo 2011.
Google+

JenniferB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #36
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
I really want to go for one a week, but I really don't know how long it will take to write, edit, research markets and submit. Perhaps I'll start the first quarter with 2x/month and see how that goes? I'm excited to start submitting! (and terrified)
That sounds like a good way to go about it.

There's a fine line between excitement and terror. And short fiction subbing can be a bit of a roller-coaster ride. But at least you've got us to share the ride with

As an aside, the Flash Fiction Forum will be doing daily challenges one fortnight a month again next year. So, if you're wondering where to get writing ideas, well, there'll be fourteen a month provided to you here on AW. Now to make sure i link to them come Jan
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #37
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
I think I'll give this a shot for 2012, at one a month.

Having a set time frame will be helpful

Last edited by bdwilson; 12-01-2011 at 02:57 AM.
bdwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilson View Post
I think I'll give this a short for 2012, at one a month.

Having a set time frame will be helpful

Welcome along, bd! I find a set time frame helpful. Stops me obsessing over the nitty things. Or, at least, helps me obsess less over the nitty things
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Or, at least, helps me obsess less over the nitty things
Heh! Obsessing less will be progress
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #40
ElsaM
lurker extraordinaire

ElsaM is well-respected
I'd like to sign up for one a month too. I just submitted a story for the first time in a year or two and loved the feeling. I need to do it more often.
ElsaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #41
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilson View Post
Heh! Obsessing less will be progress
That's some good rhymage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsaM View Post
I'd like to sign up for one a month too. I just submitted a story for the first time in a year or two and loved the feeling. I need to do it more often.
Awrite! Welcome to the W1S1 team, Elsa. And i agree, sending a fresh story out into the wide world for the first time is shiver-inducing--of the pleasant kind.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
DiannaG
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

DiannaG is on a distinguished road
I'm in! I'll be doing one a month, because I do have novels to revise and I'm really hoping to be able to pitch one at World Fantasy Con this year. One per month seems perfectly reasonable because it only takes me a couple of days to write a short story, so a month gives me time to get it critiqued, edited and ready to submit.

Here's to a year of short stories!
DiannaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #43
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaG View Post
I'm in! I'll be doing one a month, because I do have novels to revise and I'm really hoping to be able to pitch one at World Fantasy Con this year. One per month seems perfectly reasonable because it only takes me a couple of days to write a short story, so a month gives me time to get it critiqued, edited and ready to submit.

Here's to a year of short stories!
Awesome, Dianna! Welcome along to W1S1 (and AW, too)

Bring on the new year!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #44
katsincommand
Writer, Not Quitter

katsincommand is on a distinguished road
awesome we have so many people joining!

I'm doing the monthly. I fell behind a bit on the subs this year, so that'll be the hard part. I managed 7 new subs this year (and almost 60 re-subs). I'd really like to hit 12 new subs.

writing is now, not later | writing is writing one word after another after another | typing "the end" means you get to write another story
katsincommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Yay, Dawn! And 7 new stories is nothing to be sneezed at. Well done!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #46
W.L. Marks

W.L. Marks is on a distinguished road
I'm in for 2012. I think I can manage 2/month. We'll see if I can work up to more.
W.L. Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #47
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.L. Marks View Post
I'm in for 2012. I think I can manage 2/month. We'll see if I can work up to more.
Awesome! :w00t! Welcome along, W.L.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #48
W.L. Marks

W.L. Marks is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Izz. Looking forward to it.
W.L. Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #49
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at doing one a month. So far I've only actually submitted pieces specifically written for compilations and contests so this'll be a pretty new thing for me.
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #50
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

w00t! Welcome to W1S1, Taylor, and to AW I'm sure you'll love the challenge, and the other peeps who are doing it!

Also, to those new to the challenge, if you want shiny badges to put in your signature, here are some to choose from.

We have the graphic the official blog is using, posted by Milo earlier in this thread here.

We also have badges especially designed for us AW peeps, thanks to Lillie. There are two sets to choose from.

The Blood, Sweat and Tears set:

and the Rainbow Meadow Set:

Awesome stuff, Lillie!

If you're not sure how to add the badges to your signature, you can find some instructions here.

Bring on 2012!