Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Because I feel like talking about and I need a fellow writer.

Anyone? I loved it but... I had a few issues about how realistic it was for a YA contemp.

So please come in and discuss with me if you dare....

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I did! :) I think Anna and the French Kiss is better, but Stephanie Perkins is one of my favourite writers right now.

What were your issues with it?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I haven't. But I want to. (-:

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
I did! :) I think Anna and the French Kiss is better, but Stephanie Perkins is one of my favourite writers right now.

What were your issues with it?

Spoiler ALERT

Okay, so don't get me wrong because I think she's an amazing writer and I love the characters but I really feel like Cricket is kind of unrealistic as an 18 year old boy. I mean seriously??? And the part where he gets in bed with her and she has the maturity to stop him from kissing her? And then she has the maturity to say she wants to wait until she's healed from Max before going out with him? That seemed a little too mature for her character to me. Most teenagers can't even put off small things, nevermind an adorably cute boy who wants her.

That was it though. I loved her parents and all the great subplots.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you. I actually wasn't an enormous fan of Cricket. His personality was nowhere near as vivid as St. Clair, who I'm pretty much in love with. Cricket paled in comparison. I actually really liked Max, for all that he's a major douchebag. I know a lot of people like him, so it was cool to see a totally realistic jerk.

And yeah, I loved her parents. Soooo good to see totally normal same sex parents.

Last edited:

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you. I actually wasn't an enormous fan of Cricket. His personality was nowhere near as vivid as St. Clair, who I'm pretty much in love with. Cricket paled in comparison. I actually really liked Max, for all that he's a major douchebag. I know a lot of people like him, so it was cool to see a totally realistic jerk.

And yeah, I loved her parents. Soooo good to see totally normal same sex parents.

I liked Max too!! Until he made that snipe about the girl in LA being a "woman". LOL. But yeah, I always did like the bad boys. ha ha. And he tried, coming to brunch and all.

Alright, I feel better now that someone else agrees with me about Cricket.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
He was too perfect for my tastes. I love St. Clair because he's not teh hottest guy evah (in my head, anyway) and he has some real flaws, but he's got mad charisma. Cricket was just... cute. Talented. Nice. Kind of boring.

MackenziLee

we are a sensational team
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Anna and the French Kiss. Can't wait to read this one! I love stephanie perkins. her writing is fantastic!

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished it. Not as good as Anna but I still absolutely loved it! Sure, Cricket can't compare with St Clair, but I still loved him and wanted them to be together.