to agent or not

janischa

Registered
Reaction score
This probably has been debated before, but I was wondering, for picture book writers, do you send your submissions directly to publishers or to agents ?

If you do send it to publishers, what is the best source to find a list of publishers accepting unsollicited picture book submissions ? I only seem to find about 10-15 names, there must surely be more than those ?

For me, the main reason for considering an agent, is the coaching they can give you. It would be nice to have one person you can address your questions to and who you can rely on for advice. Further, at least your agent will always give you feedback on your new work.

On the downside, it seems many agents don't take on debut picture book writers. Then again, i'm sure it's almost equally difficult being picked out of the slush pile by a publisher.

What do you think ? It also seems as if publishers take much much longer to get back to someone compared to quite a large number of agents out there....

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fact is, there aren't many big publishers who will take unsolicited and/or unagented manuscripts, even picture books.

But many agents just want picture books writers/illustrators. They want the package deal.

So, what do you do?

An agent can get your picture book in front of more editors. But you may not be able to find an agent.

I guess my suggestion would be this: if you intend to be a picture book writer, and feel you have several picture books inside you, try to find an agent. It may pay off in the long run.

If you just have one or two picture books in you, it may not be worth it to spend all that time and energy hunting for an agent -- especially since the odds are slim that you'll land one. Submit to the publishers who accept unsolicted and unagented manuscripts.

Regardless of which route you choose, make sure you're submitting to legit and reputable agents or editors. Do your homework.

Join SCBWI. ;)

Good luck.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
But many agents just want picture books writers/illustrators. They want the package deal.

Any thoughts on a writer-illustrator team?

I realize PB writers don't need to illustrate their work, but if most agents seek writer-illustrator, does it make sense to team up?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I think it also depends if you only write picture books. I'm aiming to find an agent with an adult novel and sort my picture books myself (unless the agent wants to handle them). Having work published in other age categories can open doors for picture book deals.

So, what do you do?

I signed up for an art course next year. :hooray:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
There are sources out there. I googled "publishers that accept picture book submissions" and found these:

http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/about/faq.html

http://www.walkerbooks.com/info/index.php?wb_section=about&wb_page=submissions

http://www.boydsmillspress.com/writers-and-illustrators-guidelines

I suspect there are a lot more if you search for them. But read each publisher's guidelines carefully. Some on those lists still refuse un-agented submissions, but some don't.

Good luck to you on your search.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I've had two agents say they loved one of my PBs, and one of them contacted me first after seeing part of it on a blog. Her agency doesn't even accept queries, so I was thrilled.

However, they both passed it up, based on my lack of a platform and the fact that they weren't crazy about my other work. Plus, my PBs are almost always rhyming, so that makes it difficult, too.

But there are publishers who will accept them, although you usually have to snail mail them, and some take six to nine months to respond. It's not a quick process.

I think Tricycle Press and Peachtree accept unsolicited ms., but that information may be out-of-date. They did at one time, though.

It's always possible you have something so unique and so big that an agent would take you on, so don't give up yet. Just be very thorough and read blogs and any other information you can find on agents you are interested in.

Best of luck!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it both ways. I also know of people who get the first PB accepted by a publisher, and then use that platform to convince an agent to take them on for the next PBs.

But really, the most important thing you can do is join SCBWI and go to the conferences/seminars. That gives you a chance to get your work in front of agents and editors in the critique sessions, which gets you that feedback you want, plus gives you an "in" when you're ready to submit.

janischa

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks, i didn't have walkerbooks on my list yet. Others I found that were still accepting when I looked are albertwhitman, bloomsburykids, boydsmillpress, charlesbridge, chroniclekids, hmhbooks, holidayhouse, peachtree, pelicanpub, penguin, randomhouse and sterlingpublishing. Thought i'd share with you :)

@MsJudy: Already joined the SCWBI and you're right, that's a definite must for anyone serious about writing children's books. Going to conferences will be a little bit difficult for me since I live in Europe and write in English. But I do spend birthday & christmas cash gifts to pay for professional critiques and online courses, plus I moderate a little critique group.

@smish: I know a number of agents who only want author/illustrators, but i also have a quite long list of agents accepting writers by themselves

@escritora: I always understood that if you're not really an artist, to only ever submit writing and don't go looking for an artist yourself, because the publisher/agent has their own illustrators they prefer working with

Do you guys think it's an option to submit to both at the same time ? And what has been your experience in terms of feedback time of publishers ?

You know, I think one of the things that is stopping me from submitting to publishers, is the fact that for agents it's easy to find interviews with them, so you can get a feel of them and personalise your query. When submitting to a publisher, it seems so.... well... a huge step in the dark.