Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #51
ejket
Noobus Perpetuus

ejket is on a distinguished road
I use Mac and Linux, and the only cross-platform solution I really like is HTML -- so I use Bluefish with local pages on Dropbox to generate and organize the material. For the formatted manuscript, I use LibreOffice.

I do like Scrivener on the Mac, and I do like Zim on Linux, but nothing is as seamless across platforms as HTML, and it's very flexible when it comes to organizing information and prose.

ejket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #52
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I'm using Scrivener and MS Word.
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #53
ShadowyEclipse
SPAAAAAAACE!

ShadowyEclipse is on a distinguished road
I loved Scrivener with the N.W contest, but my trial ran out, and since I am broke now, No more wonderfulness, I can't buy the full version.

If you got the money, go Scrivener. It is MAGICAL. Even if you DON'T have the money, buy it. The guy who makes it does it by himself, so go support an Indie.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #54
Lunatique
Fluffy Wolf

Lunatique is on a distinguished road
I've recently moved to Scrivener too (but I still use Writer's Cafe for its wonderful Storylines feature). If you are a user of Scrivener, I recently uploaded my custom layout for it:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...ner_layout.htm
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
Sentosa
practical experience, FTW

Sentosa is a shiny, shiny jewelSentosa is a shiny, shiny jewel
Evaluated many, now committed to WriteWay
Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #56
Gilroy Cullen
But not Gilderoy Lockhart!

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHowen View Post
Word Perfect x5, I also use Word 10--I prefer WP in that the grammar checker makes sense, I love the little drop down thesaurus box, and the control I have over work space etc., and the reveal codes window is fantastic--not just the tabs and so, it shows you everything.
This. (Though I'm still back on X2.)

I'm looking into Liquid Story Binder, as well.

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Gilroy Cullen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #57
JeffC
figuring it all out

JeffC is on a distinguished road
I migrated to Scrivener a month or two ago. Prior to that I used Open/Libre Office for a few years, with about a decade of Emacs before that.

Scrivener doesn't really help me with composing a rough draft, but I love it for revision work. When I write, I put the program in full-screen, typewriter mode, ignore its other features and just type. When I give what I wrote a quick once-over the next day, I break it up into scenes and write summaries. On subsequent drafts, I add meta-data.

As much as I think Scrivener is a great tool for organizing a large amount of text, the program's greatest feature (IMHO) is its ability to keep all bells and whistles out of my way until I want to use them.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #58
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
As much as I think Scrivener is a great tool for organizing a large amount of text, the program's greatest feature (IMHO) is its ability to keep all bells and whistles out of my way until I want to use them.
That and its export/compile functions. I love that I can work in my preferred font, line-spacing, etc, then output it in a completely different format that suits a given editor, without changing the original.

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #59
iulialesley
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

iulialesley is on a distinguished road
I'm using StoryMill at the moment, but started on Scrivener. Both are really good
iulialesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #60
Grrarrgh
Not so new, not so much a kid

Grrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for President
I really like Scrivener, but it's not very portable, which is its biggest drawback for me. I'm an administrative assistant, and sometimes I end up working on more than one computer at work as well as my laptop at home, and Scrivener doesn't seem to work off of just a flash drive. It seems like it would as long as the program is installed on the actual computer, but that's not an option at work. So right now I'm back to pen/paper and Word. Which is a shame. I really like the organization options with Scrivener and some of the other programs out there, but I really need something completely portable.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #61
tjwriter
Dancing in the Dark

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm falling for Scrivener. I was just a plain old text editor to write because all the other crap from some of the other word processers was getting in my way.

I've probably not used all the features to the best of my abilities, though.

However, I haven't purchased it since the NaNo trial ran out, but the hubs still owes me a Christmas present so that may be it.

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
The Misadventure of Abigail Quinn
Abigail Quinn #2
tjwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #62
movieman

movieman is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
If you are a user of Scrivener, I recently uploaded my custom layout for it:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...ner_layout.htm
I just tried to download it but the web site tells me the file doesn't exist. Something about the key being invalid.

movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #63
Apologue
Pure heart, filthy mind

Apologue is on a distinguished road
iaWriter is my software of choice. I use the version for iPad, so it's very portable. I can easily export directly to email or save to the cloud. It also has a focus mode that lets you only see the line of text you're working on so that you don't get bogged down in wanting to go back and revise. The program is definitely not ideal for revisions, but for the simplicity of getting first drafts done, it is perfection.

It used to have a feature that allowed you to sync to Dropbox, and I hope they bring that back with a future release.

http://www.iawriter.com/
Apologue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #64
Emtock
figuring it all out

Emtock is on a distinguished road
I've always used MS Word (I had the 2009 or 10 version on my old computer, but all I have on my new computer is 2003, which is fine for me). I once tried using yWriter, though. It had a lot of cool things, but it didn't work well for me in terms of getting the story onto the page.
Emtock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #65
robjvargas
Dust Bunnies Are NSA Agents!

robjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
My favorite was Word Perfect 4.2. The entire program could fit on a 5-1/2 inch floppy and run off of any computer. It was fast, simple, efficient unlike any of the bloatware made today.

So what do I use today since "advances" in computers have made WP4.2 obsolete? Paper and a fountain pen. Then transcribe using Open Office or Google Docs.
There are Notepad replacement programs out there that might work well, too.

I use Notepad++, because it allows me to create syntax highlighting for scripting, programming, HTML, etc. And it, too, can run from a disk (I use a USB flash drive).

I'm thinking about buying NewNovelist. But I'm always paranoid about software anymore, that doesn't provide a trial. I mean, if even Microsoft will let you try MS Office...
Social:
robjvargas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #66
pyrosama
Pyrosama

pyrosama is on a distinguished road
I purchased Contour (2 licenses). I gave one license away to the winner of my 10,000 hit giveaway!

Anyway, I haven't fully tested it out, but so far it looks pretty impressive with helping me outline a decent plot.

Are We There Yet?

Facebook and Twitter
pyrosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #67
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
When it comes to just first-draft writing, getting the words on the page, I've been using Ommwriter. It doesn't have many (or really, any) formatting features, but it blocks out everything else on the screen, which helps keep me from getting distracted.
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #68
mmallico
I no throw crap, promise

mmallico is well-respected
I tried Scrivener, but I just didn't like the feel of it, so right now I am trying WriteWay. It isn't free, but I was able to get the top version at half price, so no complaints there. You can use it on up to three computers, save in different formats, use a very good storyboard, move scenes and chapters around, keep extra scenes, have all of your research in one spot, and it even has a spot for using characters. I like this better then Scrivener, because WriteWay was made specifically for Windows, though there is a Mac version coming out, sorta the opposite of Scrivener, which I am not sure if there is a Windows version or not.
mmallico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #69
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmallico View Post
I tried Scrivener, but I just didn't like the feel of it, so right now I am trying WriteWay. It isn't free, but I was able to get the top version at half price, so no complaints there. You can use it on up to three computers, save in different formats, use a very good storyboard, move scenes and chapters around, keep extra scenes, have all of your research in one spot, and it even has a spot for using characters. I like this better then Scrivener, because WriteWay was made specifically for Windows, though there is a Mac version coming out, sorta the opposite of Scrivener, which I am not sure if there is a Windows version or not.
There is now.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Tifferbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #70
mmallico
I no throw crap, promise

mmallico is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
There is now.
Ok, thanks
mmallico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #71
hughhowey
Learning to read more, post less

hughhowey is well-respected
I've tried everything: yWriter, Scrivener, MS Word (for ten years), and finally tried Pages.

I'll never use anything else.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #72
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I didn't know there were so many different writing software out there. I knew a little about yWriter and definitely Scrivener. I really do like Scrivener though. It is taking me a little bit to learn to navigate though, but that's mostly because I've used MS word for so long. However, I'm really debating on buying it though. Simply because at this moment I'm not really trying to publish. (I'm want to learn a way lot more about it before I do.) So, once my trial is up, I might just go back to MS Word or yWriter. yWriter is free right? Are there any other free software programs out there?

EDIT: To Scrivener Users: I'm trying to learn a little more about using the corkboard to outline. Did the tutorial offer any help, or did you just have to learn? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Silver-Midnight; 12-31-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #73
Sentosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
There is now.
Tried the Win version of Scrivener. Thought it OK at the start, but soon found it cumbersome.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #74
Sentosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmallico View Post
I agree completely.

I'm not saying Scrivener is not OK. It didn't work in a way with which I was personally 100% comfortable. May be fantastic for others, but it's definitely not for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #75
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
I downloaded a few free trials and settled on trying StoryBox because I preferred its interface to others. I've used it to plot and write one first draft, and I feel obligated now to purchase it, rather than just use the free version. But since I have a discount for winning NaNo, I'm considering trying Scrivener before committing to spending money on one or the other.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote