The millionth self-pubbing diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been keeping up with the threads in this part of AW for awhile now, and figured it might be time to dive in myself.

For awhile (a year and a half or so) I've been stewing plans for a non-fiction book about being an anime fanatic—sort of like a guide, but not really. If that makes any sense.

So I studied up on NF publishing, since I was well-aware it was different from the process for fiction. I started working my butt off on a book proposal. Of course, the whole time I was asking questions of the Far More Knowledgeable People of the NF threads here, and a number of them started telling me the same thing: I have enough of a niche audience that a commercial publisher probably wouldn't take the book on...but that it seemed like I knew my audience well enough to get to them all on my own.

Finally, a few months back, after lurking on these self-pubbing threads and reading up on the topic in a bunch of other places, I decided...all right, I will do this on my own. I'm going indie as an e-pubber.

I started compiling a to-do list, a list of people I wanted to interview for the book, people I would need to get in touch with for specific other content.

As of right now, my work is going excellently.

I've interviewed one very famous voice actress and arranged an interview with a man who is arguably the most popular voice actor there is. I'm working on setting up further interviews with two other people in that line of work and probably still getting to a few other people. I've also spoken to some of the most popular cosplayers (I promise my audience knows exactly what I'm talking about) and will be featuring them in the book. Plus, some of the most famous anime conventions are backing me up.

I have my fellow anime bloggers willing to do a blog tour for the days leading up to the book's release. I've added it to Goodreads and set myself up with an author account. I've got an excellent cover photo and cover designer. Basically, if it can be done marketing-wise, I'm either already doing it or making plans to do it in the future.

But then there's fiction. I am a novelist, and I've always wanted to be commercially published. The issue with that is that I write queer YA, and it's very queer. I've read the recent books that are closest to mine and they still aren't at its level (by which I mean that mine go further into the queer content; I include kissing that straight YA can get away with no problem but queer really can't).

So okay. From what I've read, the fiction self-pubbers who do best are the ones who can put out a lot of books. I've got plenty planned, a lot in the same series, and I know I can do that. There is one book (a paranormal romance) that I know I'm putting out in the spring at some point, because some old readers want me to and I figure “hey, why not”.

Anyway, those are my plans for right now.

The release date for my NF is January 21, 2012 so I'll do my best at keeping this updated here. Fingers crossed!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I am now creating a new blog that is meant to serve as my author website. Might as well, right? I already have plenty of web presence, but that's 90% through my anime blog, which...doesn't really serve the same purpose.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
All right, I set up my new authory blog. It's just a blogger thing like the blog I've already got, nothing fancy (but very pretty) and sometime in the future I'll be changing the design--as soon as my designer has time to make me a code that won't glitch all the time.

Other news:

I'm going to put out a trio of holiday-themed short stories, the first of which should be made available by the end of tomorrow but hopefully today. It depends on my schedule today.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
The holiday shorts might be canceled (2 final papers with impending deadlines + other writing stuff = not nearly enough time in the day), but on the bright side, I have already got at least one review for Weeping locked in.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
An awesome friend of mine (author of Something Strange & Deadly, available in 2012...shameless plug for a friend?) sent me this blog: http://faeriality.blogspot.com/. The writer basically has been consistently chronicling her journey, and there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
A computer crash is forcing me to push the release date of my non-fiction book back, but I'm still set to release my novel Weeping by May. We're doing a photoshoot for the cover in a few weeks!

Last night I posted a novel of mine that I'm not actually a fan of, via Smashwords (under a different pen name) and so far I've had 4 sales. Presumably sales to the people who liked it back when it was posted on Fictionpress.com (I used to be very uninformed, yes).

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Eight sales now.

I guess I'm thankful for the fans from my uneducated days, since they're presumably the ones buying this thing. So far they've paid for...oh, I dunno, me and my boyfriend to go to a movie? Haha, I'm not in this for money though.

Current plan: buy a Kindle once I've made the proper amount from my own sales. As of now I'm 29 sales away from that goal, assuming the basic old Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.