• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ParaDon Books Publishing / Amazon Book Clubs

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
From their website: http://paradonbooks.com/index.html

They're spamming the Net like a case of hives.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ParaDon Books Publishing[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is a privately-owned establishment, with distribution deals that reach all over the globe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Examples, please. What books have you got, where, who's selling them?

Other companies may offer similar services, but our services are the best, and come with a personal touch.
Examples, please. What books have you got? We'd like to see inside one for check on this personal touch stuff.

[/FONT]
We have a fine team of qualified editors,
Their names, please. Where did they work previously in the publishing industry and for how long?
[/FONT]
the best book cover graphic artists in the industry,
Their names, please, and show examples of their work.

We publish both fictions and non-fictions.
[/FONT]
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once a manuscript pass the reading test and is accepted,"[/FONT]
Apparently grammar and proofing are of little concern here.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]All proposal package should include a query letter, synopsis, bio, the first 50 pages, SASE (self address stamped envelope), and a $25 reading fee, mail to
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] ParaDon Books Publishing[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] P.O.Box 6347[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Great Falls, MT 59406 [/FONT]
Yog's Law violation alert. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger-danger!

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Agent-submitted manuscript are excluded from the reading fee. [/FONT]
Not surprising, since no reputable agent would bother with this place.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This company is brand new, and looking for a lot of quality stories to catalog. [/FONT]
Not to sell? Shame-shame.

Is English just not your first language?

Please explain why there's a picture of a car dealership's showroom on your "Jobs" page.

Please explain why the heck you opened for business when you've no books to sell.

Last edited:

Creative_Solitude

All the world's a stage...
Registered
Reaction score
Did you read the message at the bottom from the Aquisitions Editor? It reads:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here's a quick tip for all you writers out there; make sure your story have a good structure

Um...ok...lol.

Wow...
[/FONT]

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Did you read the message at the bottom from the Aquisitions Editor? It reads:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here's a quick tip for all you writers out there; make sure your story have a good structure

Um...ok...lol.

Wow...
[/FONT]

What? Sometimes me no have good structure! Lol

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
ParaDon Books Website:
At ParaDon Books Publishing, we take care of our customers with high quality services personalized for their own unique needs. We are available to take your order online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

This was from their submission page, which makes me think that their writers are also going to be their customers.

ParaDon Books Website:
We accept fictions and non-fictions; horror, sci-fi, adventure, mystery, suspense-thriller, hard-boiled, erotica, romance, regional, poetry-chapbook, fantasy, espionage, urban fiction, chick-lit, western, Africa, Afro-American, short-stories, experimental, young-adult, graphic novel, children-book, memoir, cook-book, how-to, travel, religion, history, and true crimes.

So they're basically taking anything, which suggests they don't have a specific strategy in place because start-ups typically find it easier to focus on a particular genre and build up their reputation in it so they can also focus their marketing and distribution activities.

The fact that they accept poetry is a big red flag. While poetry is a fine art form, there is precious little money in it.

ParaDon Books Website:
​All proposal package should include a query letter, synopsis, bio, the first 50 pages, SASE (self address stamped envelope), and a $25 reading fee, mail to

No legitimate publisher will ever charge you a reading fee. Reading submissions is part of the job and should be covered by the fact that they sell books. Even a start-up should have enough cash up front to cover its overhead in reading slush.

ParaDon Books Website:
cmarka: I will review your short story for a possible publication with ParaDon Books for $5
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Celina Marka; Acquisition Editor
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]​"Here's a quick tip for all you writers out there; make sure your story have a good structure, intriguing plot, interesting dialogues, smooth pace, and one unforgettable character. I look forward to reading your submissions."
[/FONT]

Again, no reputable publisher would be charging you a reading fee for reviewing your work.

ParaDon Books Website:
Iwill review your short-story for a possible publication with ParaDon Books if your story have the juice to pump up a lot of short story readers. ParaDon Books Publishing is unlike any other publishers in the world. Find out how; www.paradonbooks.com We are currently looking for a large volume of short-stories to publish throughout the months of 2012. If you are a serious writer, here's your chance to get publish, and earn royalties for life.

Given how badly written this is, would you really care what this alleged editor thinks about your short story? The fact that they seem to be taking rights to short stories for life also fills me with horror - it's more usual for rights to be taken for a set period and then revert to the author.

ParaDon Books Website:
​"Here's a quick tip for all you writers out there; make sure your story have a good structure, intriguing plot, interesting dialogues, smooth pace, and one unforgettable character. I look forward to reading your submissions."

Aside from the crimes against grammar in this sales pitch, I tried a Google search on Celina Marka the "Acquisition Editor" [sic] and can't find any evidence that she's worked as a professional editor for any other publisher and in spite of the details on her profile page on Fiverr: http://fiverr.com/cmarka

C Marks Profile:
I am an acquisition editor at ParaDon Books Publishing. I received my MFA from Stanford University in 2008, and worked as a freelance editor / newspaper columnist prior to my employment with ParaDon Books.

I also couldn't find any evidence on Google that she'd been to Stanford or worked in journalism/editing.

I therefore doubt that she'll be able to give an opinion any more worthwhile to feedback obtainable on the SYW forums here.

ParaDon Books Website:
ParaDon Books Publishing is seeking expert bloggers to advertise our new release books to the open general through their social media outlets; blogging, facebook, twitter, youtube, linkedin, etc. We'll pay our blogger a weekly recurring fee, and payrate will depend on how productive the blogger is, as graded by SocialMention.com

So they're going to pay people to talk about them on the web? That's not how true word of mouth develops and worse, if you've got a reputation for paying people to advertise your books, people stop believing the stuff they read about your books.

MM

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear...they're looking for independent sales reps:

We are a privately-owned establishment with 100s of upcoming authors whose titles will be available for sale. We offer a variety of novels from romance to mystery to urban fiction to your friends, family members and co-workers at a discounted price. Create home-based parties or simply sell out of the trunk of your car; any way you think you can generate sales in this profitable venture.

Sounds like a perfect way to lose friends and alienate people! And why would ParaDon stoop to these PA-style tactics if they already have "distribution deals that reach all over the globe"?

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Lawzie, from the horrific grammar errors to the rights grabs to the "home-based parties or simply sell out of the trunk of your car" sales strategies, this thing has EPIC FAIL write large across it. And I thought PA was bad!

Creative_Solitude

Registered
Reaction score
Lawzie, from the horrific grammar errors to the rights grabs to the "home-based parties or simply sell out of the trunk of your car" sales strategies, this thing has EPIC FAIL write large across it. And I thought PA was bad!

It would be a cold day in hell before I'd consider submitting my manuscript to a "publisher" who would expect me to sell my novel at home-based parties or out of the truck of my car. Geez...

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Scribd: You can easily skip the postal postal process and submit with us electronically.
If the first "postal" is modifying the second, you have a postal postal, i.e. a postal process that went postal.

From this site (heavily quoted for posterity):

ParaDon Books Publishing, a new publishing industry co-founded by a newspaper mogul, Richard Egland, just announce its opening to writers [...]

Richard and his staff of professionals believes in the free market revolution of book publishing, and are willing to do whatever it takes to top over the seven major publishers of America. [...]

Richard quoted, saying, “I’m sad over what’s going on with the book industry nowadays. Book stores are closing all over the nation, and less and less people are reading fictions. Personally, I think the major book publishers are to blame for their continuing mistakes of publishing writers with mediocre talents. I know the ins and outs of running a newspaper, and believe me when I say nobody love reading stories more than me.[...]

"We will be the stepping stone that will correct the flaws of mediocre writing that’s circulating through the book market today, by only putting out writers of quality styles that will seduce and induce every readers minds. From now on, no talented writer will be rejected because there’s only enough room or budget to publish that one other writer. Every talented will have a chance to shine with us, and will. I have a fine team of qualified editors, the best cover graphic artists in the industry, a world-wide distributing channel, great promotion service, and we offer advance payment and high royalty pays to our authors. [...]

When asked, “Why the reading fee?” Richard Responded, saying, “Because I want every writer submitting their story to us to take their work very seriously and put out their best. I use to run a newspaper print so i know the burden of dealing with unsolicited submissions. I want every writer submitting to us to know that this $25 could be the best investment they’ve ever made.”

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
The people running that outfit plainly don't give a damn, and any writer who goes with them is a fool.

ETA: if this bunch doesn't implode within the year, we may just have a new source of cringe-worthy hilarity to mine.

Last edited:

Creative_Solitude

Registered
Reaction score
"We will be the stepping stone that will correct the flaws of mediocre writing that’s circulating through the book market today, by only putting out writers of quality styles that will seduce and induce every readers minds. From now on, no talented writer will be rejected because there’s only enough room or budget to publish that one other writer. Every talented will have a chance to shine with us, and will. I have a fine team of qualified editors, the best cover graphic artists in the industry, a world-wide distributing channel, great promotion service, and we offer advance payment and high royalty pays to our authors."

Good Lord, too much telling and not enough showing. Where are these alleged books they speak of?

"Fictions and non-fictions..."

lol

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
It would be comedy gold were it not for the fact that someone, somewhere, is probably thinking of submitting their novel (or the first draft thereof) and a cheque for $25.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
From now on, no talented writer will be rejected because there’s only enough room or budget to publish that one other writer.

Uh...what??
believe me when I say nobody love reading stories more than me.
Evidently without learning a damned thing about grammar.
I use to run a newspaper print so i know the burden of dealing with unsolicited submissions.
Making up for it by ignoring the burden of proofreading.
this $25 could be the best investment they’ve ever made.”
I have bills to pay. Let ME take your cash and do squat for your career--just like ParaDon--but at least you'll have sent the money to a real editor.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It seems whoever's behind comment spam has moved into publishing. Yippee.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once a manuscript pass the reading test and is accepted, the material will be quickly edited by one of our professionals, and then converted into eBook and audiobooks. The title will be made available through ALL of our distributing channels (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iPad, iPhone, Podcast, etc) for a regulatory period of six months, and the rating of how well your eBook and audiobooks sell within this period will determine the Advance payment that will be offer for the Paperback and Hardcover production of your title.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Read the submission guideline to learn how to publish with us.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Are you a writer, or do you know one? Refer he/she to publish with us and we'll send you free books.[/FONT]
I'm guessing
1. No advances will be paid.
2. No books will go to hardback.
3. English is not their first language.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
London Writers Society Website:
ParaDon Books Publishing, a new publishing industry co-founded by a newspaper mogul, Richard Egland,

And yet a Google search does not reveal which newspaper Mr Egland apparently moguls. In fact, the only words connecting Richard Egland with newspapers seem to come from his own press release. Truly, a legend in his own mind ...

Located in the Big Sky area of Montana, this company’s infrastructure is surrounded by two stretched blocks of industrial installations, and the main office edifice.

... Huh? When translated into English, I think this means that their offices are in an industrial estate in Montana.

Richard and his staff of professionals believes in the free market revolution of book publishing, and are willing to do whatever it takes to top over the seven major publishers of America.

Given that his acquisition editor [sic] is apparently a stranger to English grammar and there's no information on his site as to the other "professionals", I'd say that the seven major publishers of American can sleep safely in their beds for the time being.

In a public announcement made by the publisher yesterday, Richard quoted, saying, “I’m sad over what’s going on with the book industry nowadays. Book stores are closing all over the nation, and less and less people are reading fictions. Personally, I think the major book publishers are to blame for their continuing mistakes of publishing writers with mediocre talents. I know the ins and outs of running a newspaper, and believe me when I say nobody love reading stories more than me. That’s why I created ParaDon Books Publishing.

Personally I'm hugely reassured that this newspaper mogul seems to regard fictions [sic] and journalism as one and the same thing. It speaks so much to the quality of his work.

As regards publishers being responsible for book stores closing, has Mr Egland been living under a rock? Is he not aware of the impact of internet selling and ebooks on bricks and mortar stores?

“ParaDon Books is exactly what a publisher should be. We will be the stepping stone that will correct the flaws of mediocre writing that’s circulating through the book market today, by only putting out writers of quality styles that will seduce and induce every readers minds.

I'll believe this when I see a press release from Mr Egland that doesn't read as if English is his second language.

I have a fine team of qualified editors, the best cover graphic artists in the industry, a world-wide distributing channel, great promotion service, and we offer advance payment and high royalty pays to our authors.

Could you get one of those qualified editors to take a look-see at your press release please?

In the upcoming months when you buy one of our books, you’ll not only be getting a great story but you’ll also be owning a great piece of art that will look good on your furniture or digital library.

I ... what?

“Once a manuscript pass the reading test and is accepted by us, the material will be quickly edited by one of our professionals and then converted into eBook and audiobook. The title will be made available through ALL of our distributing channels, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iPad, iPhone, Podcast, etc for a regulatory period of six months, and the rating of how well your eBook and audiobooks sell within this period will determine the Advance payment that will be offer for the Paperback and Hardcover production of your title,”

Here's the thing, Dick, an advance is called an advance because it's paid in advance. It is also not dependent on sales actually made but based on sales that the publisher expects to make. You seem to be confusing royalties with advances (royalties being payments made on sales). Actually, you seem to be confused about a lot of things ...

he is ‘preferably looking for writers of young ages that can grow with the industry and learn what the industry has to offer from within. However, age will not be the deciding factor when deciding the stories that have merit.’

I think any writer unfortunate enough to sign with your alleged publisher is going to discover all too soon what your industry has to offer.

When asked, “Why the reading fee?”
Richard Responded, saying, “Because I want every writer submitting their story to us to take their work very seriously and put out their best.

I do take my work seriously, that's why I wouldn't submit it to such a joke of an operation.

NOTE: Reading fees are normally considered a bad thing, but this one is $25.00, so it would be up to each author to decide if that’s acceptable.

So reading fees are bad, unless the writer is okay with paying it? Seriously?

MM

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I posted on ParaDon's Guest Book, politely pointing out that no reputable publisher charges a reading fee or has a website full of grammatical errors. This morning my post had disappeared into the cornfield these jokers share with PA.