The six word short story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The Hemingway one has been floating around for years and years. But I disagree that it is a short story...

As with any story, there has to be a beginning, middle and end. Hemingway's 6 word short sort of fits the bill, but lacks conflict, emotion, and clarity. As is, its not a short story but an advertisement.

Without knowing why the shoes were never worn, he cheats his reader. Let them fill in the blank, some might say? True, but will they fill in the blank as the author intended? Does it really matter? To me, yes...

Here's another one, and in 5 words, but is it really a story...

I think, therefore I am.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I believe Hemingway's six words is not only a story, an extremely good one, I believe it's also an example that should be followed even in very long short stories.

Good short stories are made by what's left out, but that will be filled in by the reader's imagination, not by what's put in.

There's more tension, more conflict, more emotion, in Hemingway's six words than in most six thousand word stories I've read.

The author intends each reader to fill in the missing tension and conflict in his own way, and that's another reason this story is so brilliant.

The moment a writer wants the reader to fill in the blanks in a certain way, the way teh wriet rdemands, he's written a poor story, and is preaching, not writing good fiction.

And, no, Descartes' statement, I think, therefore I am, is not a story, it's simply a supposition. There's no conflict, even when read by the most imaginative readers, no emotion, no tragedy, no anything except pure supposition.

Anyway, I can't think of many short story writers who can do as much with six thousand words as Hemingway did with six.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Your serve...

There's more tension, more conflict, more emotion, in Hemingway's six words than in most six thousand word stories I've read.

And, no, Descartes' statement, I think, therefore I am, is not a story, it's simply a supposition. There's no conflict, even when read by the most imaginative readers, no emotion, no tragedy, no anything except pure supposition.

James...

1...Please show me the tension, conflict, and emotion expressed in Hemingway's 6 word advertisement. There is no more emotion in that piece than the Coke a Cola tag, Coke, its the real thing.

I see Hemingway's 6 words as nothing more than a sales pitch. Short and direct, and you can read hundreds of them in any newspaper want adds. Please explain how you get tension, conflict, or emotion in those 6 words.

2...As to Descartes 5 words statement, he puts himself on the line in 1st person, (I think and I am.) Rather bold statements readers can relate to, no matter their status in life compared to...For sale, baby shoe...

Every reader is going to take away from any story what matters to them, what they can understand, or what they feel beyond the words. After all, it is the words that direct the story and inspire the reader...

Rufus Leeking

Registered
Reaction score
James...

1...Please show me the tension, conflict, and emotion expressed in Hemingway's 6 word advertisement. There is no more emotion in that piece than the Coke a Cola tag, Coke, its the real thing.
It tells a story. The reader has to think "wait, why is this for sale?" the never used sealing it. For 6 words it conveys a ton, and again, is a complete story. "Coke. it's the real thing," isn't, and with all due respect to our fellow posters here, none of the 6 word stories I've read on these threads tell a complete story really.

You can say it's a novelty, or parlor trick, but it is a good one.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
I'm with thothguard51 on this, Hemingway's six words don't do a whole lot for me. Who's writing the story anyway? The author or the reader? Call it a parlor trick, ok, it is a good one. But that's all, it's not a story to me. Course, I think Hemmingway was just a parlor trick anyway. Just my opinion...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, the Hemingway 6 words was something he penned while in a contest between him and fellow writers. He won, he did not have to pay for his drinks. I doubt he put a lot of effort into it, and thank the gods for that...

I can read these type of 6 words on craigs list everyday.

Horny, call xxx. <<<drama, emotion and conflict all in 3 words, need I say more?

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I'm with James on this one. It's the most concise story I've ever read. And it's full of emotion, gives us at least one character, conflict, and resolution. It's one of those things that is so much more than the sum of it's parts.

Eta: Comparing it to an ad on craigslist is apt, in a way. That's why not everyone who puts pen to paper and churns out 5,000 words is equal. Just because you can string words together doesn't mean you have a story, let alone a good story. Same with six words. Not everyone is skilled enough to cram that much info in such a small space.

Last edited:

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
thothguard that's your definition of a short story and James has his, but I think strictly adhering to certain concrete factors just destroys the idea of fiction in its variety.

I think the story is overused in academia as an example, as is "Hills Like White Elephants" (we get it, abortion, iceburg theory, freud, get over it, professors).

But I never considered fiction to need to answer any questions at all. Just to ask them. In that framework I find it more than satisfying. As per conflict, Hemingway's baby shoes story is filled with nothing but.

It's kind of like a great quote. You think "big deal anyone can say ten words to a reporter." But in the back of your head you think, "damn, I wish I had thought of that."

Here's my six words, though it's more of a non-fiction piece:

I was never good at these.

Last edited:

gyulameszaros

Jules
Registered
Reaction score
I like this 6 words from Hemingway. It makes me think and ask what is the story behind. But I wouldn't call it a story. Id does not tell the story, only triggers it, so the story itself is born inside the reader's head. Then who's story is it?

Pheasant_Plucker

Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, the Hemingway 6 words was something he penned while in a contest between him and fellow writers. He won, he did not have to pay for his drinks. I doubt he put a lot of effort into it, and thank the gods for that...

I can read these type of 6 words on craigs list everyday.

Horny, call xxx. <<<drama, emotion and conflict all in 3 words, need I say more?

Ever heard of subtext?

Davina M

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Wedding dress for sale. Never worn.

Theatre performance suddenly cancelled. Tickets refunded.

Popular restaurant closes. Will not reopen.

Naked man runs down busy street.

Last edited:

Pheasant_Plucker

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if these all meet the criteria;

I slammed the door, kept walking.

Walking on ice. Hip shattered good.

No one moved the roller skate.

The engines failed. Boy, we screamed.

A shark fin, coming this way.

Quicksand? F**k! I started to sink.

The ship capsized. Everyone else drowned.

She left, I drank, got repossessed.

Flowers all wilted. Still no rain.

The hangman's hand trembled. Only briefly.

We kissed. My husband never knew.

My parachute opened. But too late.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Courtesy of Julius Caesar (though the Latin is even shorter):

"I came, I saw, I conquered."

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
A better one, I think:

Black eye. Enough. I'm leaving you.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
I love these things. My brain is working again.

Warning: End of the world - tomorrow!

Christmas list: doll, pram, new Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.