Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #10626
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
ah, it's ok... you've still got me!!

Actually, our offices will be less frozen. They have found a new building forus - as our lease is up in July. It is only down the road from us - so, I get to keep shopping at all the very convenient nearby shops/restaurants. Also, it has heat and cooling. That works! Yay! Of course, unless we manage to drop boxes on the heads of the crazies, they will be coming with.

From what I understand, yours truly will have an office to herself - sort of. They are going to park the fax machine and printers in there with me. I was the only one not brought to go see the place. Which was bullshit, but you know. Whatever.

Have sent my parents the credit app info for the apartment, and have not heard from them all day. I'm not going to be able to sleep until this is resolved.
Just remember when dealing with crazy. Dropping boxes on their heads only works if the boxes are steel, or oak. Carboard only works if you fill it with heavy stuff, like, oh, cast iron. Try to make it look like an accident though.

I hated sending stuff like that to my parents.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #10627
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
sigh. Kids, love em. Really.

Kid : *thunk* ow! waaaaahhhh!
Papa: You ok? what happened?
Kid: fall down. Waaaahhhhhh!
Papa: Do you want Papa to kiss it and make it better?
Kid: *sniff* Yes.
Papa: Ok, where does it hurt?
Kid: *points at butt*

I walked right into that one. This kid is gonna be dangerous.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #10628
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Did the Cantina name change slightly or am I insane? Granted, not two mutually exclusive alternatives.
Insanity taken for granted, and himself told me last week that it had always been that way just that I hadn't noticed. Seems like you're 'normal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post
Also...gave two weeks' notice at ye olde, soon to be ex-, job this morning.
Hurrah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
@Bugz- It would make sense had it been the same old place. Is that what you meant? If so, your brain has been switching the words for you from the day of the name change until today. Congrats on your newfound power over your devious subconscience.
I'm still too asleep to understand this, but I figured that if I included it I could come back to it later and figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debio View Post
Morning Folks! Are we all having fun yet?
No. I need coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
I survived my first week at the new day job!

Tomorrow, I have to go pee in a cup.

But now, I am having a salmon burger.
Yay. Yuck. Ooo.

Quote:
I'm even taking about two weeks off before starting my new job, so I'll either have time to rock on my WIP, or to complete developmental edits on Messenger II if those arrive by then.
Cool

Quote:
So, uh, with this new Avengers movie, I was watching the trailer... Not only do I not see a drop of Whedons genius (and okay, genius is hard to capture in a trailer, but it looks like any ole action film); but complaint two- who the hell is the big bad?! Aliens? What the fruittrailer?
Say no more. No bad guys?
Quote:
I have invented a new rule for writers. And this is said in humor. Really.

"Never piss off the YA brigade"

They will eat you alive.
Suggest you modify this to 'avoid people with hormonal angst'.

Quote:
Who the marvelverse is Loki?
Quote:
The naughty Asgardian brother.
Pre-xactly
Quote:
Yeah, you know, all of you are leaving sucky jobs for hopefully better ones. Now what am I gonna do? Hmm?

I mean, who am I gonna point at and say "Well, at least my job doesn't suck that bad." Oh, my
Does it help if I point out that I actually don't have a job?
Quote:
Scar is thus quasi epic.
Of course it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Yeah, let's go with that, rather than "I can't remember which one of the oddly name and rarely here Cantina folk is Peter."
Quote:
Sorry, dude. Maybe I shoulda asked that one. I could have blamed newness.
I didn't know either, don't feel bad.

Quote:
From what I understand, yours truly will have an office to herself - sort of. They are going to park the fax machine and printers in there with me.
So, you're going to leave your office everyday high on printer toner and unable to finish any work at all because of the constant interruptions from people coming in and out of your office and the noise from all the machines. That sucks. that really, really sucks.

Quote:
sigh. Kids, love em. Really.

Kid : *thunk* ow! waaaaahhhh!
Papa: You ok? what happened?
Kid: fall down. Waaaahhhhhh!
Papa: Do you want Papa to kiss it and make it better?
Kid: *sniff* Yes.
Papa: Ok, where does it hurt?
Kid: *points at butt*

I walked right into that one. This kid is gonna be dangerous.

Morning cantinas

No sun today. I need coffee and breakfast.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #10629
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
actually, after the "internet intervention" meeting we had en masse last week and all the eye contact with the boss, I thought I would be put right in front of her for observation.

And with my job - which is order entry/billing, there's no way I wouldn't be interrupted every half hour/20 minutes. People are in my cube all day, bringing me mah work. I just hope I won't have to listen to the bickering and the swearing any more.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #10630
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So, uh, with this new Avengers movie, I was watching the trailer... Not only do I not see a drop of Whedons genius (and okay, genius is hard to capture in a trailer, but it looks like any ole action film); but complaint two- who the hell is the big bad?! Aliens? What the fruittrailer?

I may or may not be working on this movie right now. I find it awesome.

Mileage may vary, I've been told by Marvel comic readers that I am not allowed an opinion because I haven't read the comics, but I'm judging it on its merits as a movie.

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: revising

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

10s
Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #10631
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
actually, after the "internet intervention" meeting we had en masse last week and all the eye contact with the boss, I thought I would be put right in front of her for observation.
My boss moved me opposite her not that long ago. I did wonder if I'd been put in the naughty seat...even more so when in the current office move-around I'm one of the few people staying where I am now. Anyway, my boss is based in Brighton, so she's only in our office in Aldershot for two or three days a week...and she's on leave now. Not that anyone is especially heartbroken when she's not there.

Quote:
Going back to my youth, theres the one on the middle of my sternum from when a friend pushed me onto a blunt spikey lamp. I dont show that to just anyone though
I have a scar from picking up a splinter when sliding down a wooden plank. Similarly to you, I don't show that one to just anybody. I was hospitalised for it.

And good morning Cantina.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,258 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) 32,365 words. Revising,
Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #10632
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Okay, I'm back from having the best hamburgers in Toyama. This is Japan, a country that really doesn't understand the hamburger. They think McDonalds is GOOD, for god's sake.

They are utterly shocked when you tell them that Macs probably doesn't hit the top 5 for tasty burgers in the national chains.

It was good. At least they have real meat, real cheese, and fresh veggies. Now, their onion rings, those were good.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #10633
bettielee

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm watching Thor right now.

Much of it is good, but I didn't feel anything for Loki... and didn't really see a Thor/Jane thing - I mean, she thought he was hot, but they didn't connect, at least they didn't seem to to me.

Holy crap - I did not know Kennth Branaugh directed! It sure was a pretty movie. I loved how Agnar looked. But the costumes/armor were ridiculous. They looked like spray painted plastic. Which they probably were.

To edit:

To Betas

Twitter

Old 03-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #10634
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ali- you mock my scar!

Eye- owww. That sounds dire. You could have bust a femoral artery too.

Quote:
Did you watch all the prequel movies? I'm guessing that you'll enjoy Avengers more if you watch the prequels. If you watch Thor, you'll get the Loki background in the marvelverse.

Thor was actually my least favorite of the prequels, but it's worth watching, imo. And not to stare at the Thor actor...okay not *just* for that.

I'm not that sad, but let's blame Peter anyway.
I um, watched iron man. Is there a Black Widow prequel? And yes, Blame Peter (who is one of the SFF mods folks)

Quote:
It's still light out, so I very clearly saw the night's first snowflake. Boo.
Dire.

Quote:
'Tis midnight here. And I'm falling asleep while editing, which is Not Good. Therefore, off to bed go I.

Dobre Noche!
Dzien dobry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post

Mileage may vary, I've been told by Marvel comic readers that I am not allowed an opinion because I haven't read the comics, but I'm judging it on its merits as a movie.
Do you need a live in co worker?!

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #10635
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Ali- you mock my scar!
No, I was merely agreeing that it was epic. After all, all scars have stories right?

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #10636
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ah, well, mockery is fine too

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #10637
aliwood

Feel free to mock mine in return. I have a row of four tiny spots on the outside of my right wrist. i tried to steal a chip / fry off someone plate one lunchtime at school, and he stabbed me. I never expected school cutlery to be so sharp.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #10638
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Fenika
I didn't hear any air guitar riffs when Ali posted, so I doubt she was mocking you. Scars are cool, don't worry. Doesn't matter how you got them, you can lie if you need to. No one needs to know.

Aliwood
1. You need to be quicker. They actually had time to stab you with a fork? Slow hands, slow hands.

2. Of course it's sharp, the lunch lady spends a significant part of each evening listening to the eagles, dreaming of broiled children, and sharpening the tableware. You didn't know?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #10639
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
This is so not fair.

How do I get transported to future movie watching land? And get paid for it?

Suppose it would help if I spoke more than one language fluidly, right?

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #10640
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Morning Bos, how goes it? We're talking about scars, you got any cool ones with good stories? I'm in the mood for chains and dogs and the like.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #10641
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Ali- you mock my scar!
If she doesn't, I will.

If you'd like.

FleasTwits
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #10642
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Morning Bos, how goes it? We're talking about scars, you got any cool ones with good stories? I'm in the mood for chains and dogs and the like.
I almost cut my finger off when I was five or so, but the rest are mundane things I got from falling off things or surgery in sketchy countries that like to think they are less developing than they are.

FleasTwits
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #10643
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
They looked like spray painted plastic. Which they probably were.
Isn't most Hollywood armor just that anyway?

I saw nothing wrong with the costumes, but then again I read the comics. They fit.

FleasTwits
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #10644
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning all,

Spending some time editing in a local coffee shop.

Did my piss test. As a reward, I bought a red velvet biscotti to go with my coffee.

I need to get these mms off my plate so I can do some writing. Wearing lots of hats can be a pain...

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #10645
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
OOooooh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
Not that anyone is especially heartbroken when she's not there.
Once in my life have I worked for someone whose absence made me sad (work-sad, not real life-sad). It's a shame it doesn't happen more often.

Quote:
Much of it is good, but I didn't feel anything for Loki... and didn't really see a Thor/Jane thing - I mean, she thought he was hot, but they didn't connect, at least they didn't seem to to me.
Yeah, they felt very rushed. Like, because it was established in the comics they didn't actually need to include any organic development. I did enjoy Idris Elba, though, in his little role.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #10646
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really need to see all the pre-Avengers movies.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #10647
bettielee

morning... gawd I need coffees....

haven't heard anything from parental units on filling out the apartment forms.... they have lives, though, so you know....

To edit:

To Betas

Twitter

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #10648
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good morning!

Quote:
It's still light out, so I very clearly saw the night's first snowflake. Boo.
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
Seems like you're 'normal'.
I...I don't think anyone has ever called me that before. I'm not sure if I'm happy or bummed about it.

Quote:

Sooo jealous.

Quote:
I'm watching Thor right now.

Holy crap - I did not know Kennth Branaugh directed! It sure was a pretty movie. I loved how Agnar looked. But the costumes/armor were ridiculous. They looked like spray painted plastic. Which they probably were.
Semi spoilery:
The love story was the worst in that. I mean, I get the attraction and all, but that went to undying love pretty quickly.

Quote:
I really need to see all the pre-Avengers movies.
They're all pretty good. The Ironmans are my favorite, followed by Captain America. I think the plot and such was better in Hulk than Thor. But I'd rather stare at watch Thor.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #10649
Shoeless

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
They're all pretty good. The Ironmans are my favorite, followed by Captain America. I think the plot and such was better in Hulk than Thor. But I'd rather stare at watch Thor.
I have to admit, I was quite surprised by how true to the original comic book origins Captain America was. I was sure they would update it, and take it out of the WWII era, but even the old Plucky American Can Do Attitude (tm) was retained, rather than glossed over with a more contemporary coat of Dark n' Gritty paint.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #10650
slcboston
word-slinger

Regarding comics and movies:

You know what I'm tired of? Rehashing origin stories. It makes sense for some flicks, really, like Captain America needed to be what it was. But I liked how Iron Man dispensed with that part pretty quickly, and see no reason, NONE AT ALL, why the new Spider-Man reboot has to go through the "bit by a radioactive genetically modified spider" bit all over again.

Does *anyone* out there not know this story by now?? Can't we just move on to a good story??

Ok, done now.

FleasTwits
Closed Thread