Camp NaNo?

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Camp NaNoWriMo

Anyone else doing one (or both!) this year? I already have a plot for the June camp locked and loaded. I just need to resist the urge to start writing early.

What about the rest of you? Or is this too far off and I'm just being overeager again? :snoopy:

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be doing it (probably only one), though I'm not really thinking about it right now. Trying to finish the project I started for Nano and which might take me all the way to July at any rate.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I'm happy that they're doing it in June this year, so that I can do that and then JulNoWriMo. August is never good for me.

And it's impossible to be overeager for Nanos! :partyguy:

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
I'm happy that they're doing it in June this year, so that I can do that and then JulNoWriMo. August is never good for me.

And it's impossible to be overeager for Nanos! :partyguy:

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it looks like June and August this year. It makes sense, in a way - having it back to back lends to a certain confusion when the months change over.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
I've never done it, but I'm pretty excited for this year. I think I'll start with June and see if I'm feeling up for August. I definitely have more than enough stories I've been itching to write, so I think it will come down to stamina and sheer force of will.

For those of you who have done the camp, how does it compare to regular NaNo?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Is anyone going to write a novel, or is some going to be a rebel? For example, writing a bunch of novellas or short stories instead of novel. I'm going to be a rebel. I already know it. Haha. I haven't really decided what I wanted to write yet though.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up for the June one about two days ago. I think it'll be a good way to get a jumpstart on Book Two while Book One goes through revisions.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to work on another UF thing. I want to make sure that I can write it, because it's kind of based off of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The idea actually sprouted from a video game based off Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. So, I have to make sure I don't do anything that will cause any trouble.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Decided this morning to try and do the June Camp. After I do Script Frenzy in April.

Which gives me 20-ish days to write 40k on the current work in progress.

After I do all that (40k by the end of this month, Script Frenzy in April, Camp NaNo in June) I plan to die in July. (Figuratively, of course.)

Aggy, clinging to that competitive streak

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year's August Camp NaNo was when I finally got my groove back for writing. Everything I had written in between then and the previous July had been torture.

It doesn't really compare to NaNoWriMo if you're looking for the excitement and the boards and the community. If all you're looking to do is write a 50K novel in a month and you don't care about that stuff, the two are pretty much the same.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Off-topic... Sage, I'm trying to work out what books you have in a stack in your avatar.

They look familiar...

Looks like the AW Spec-fic antho.

Silver-midnight: The site to sign up is campnanowrimo.org
If you sign up now the June camp is the one you get placed in. If you want to do the August one you can sign up to do that too.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
It doesn't really compare to NaNoWriMo if you're looking for the excitement and the boards and the community. If all you're looking to do is write a 50K novel in a month and you don't care about that stuff, the two are pretty much the same.

Signed up for June and August, and even decided which ideas I'm going with for both. I'm excited. Even without the community, I think this will be good for me. NaNo is like giving myself permission to suck, which I really need to get any work done. And a deadline. I do really well with deadlines, not so great without them.

Kimra

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to do both, but I find their website really confusing sometimes, so I might not 'officially' do it.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
I plan to do both, but I find their website really confusing sometimes, so I might not 'officially' do it.

Hey, the only internet access I had while doing NaNo was my iPhone. So even though I won, I had no way to enter my words for verification, so I don't have a spiffy badge or anything. But I know I won, and I accomplished that 50,000 word goal because of NaNo.

Being official isn't everything. Forcing yourself to make time for your writing, forcing aside inner-editor to get it done, producing a lot of work in a short period of time... those are the things that matter.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Edit: Instead of 'producing a lot of work in a short period of time', maybe I should say 'producing more work that you otherwise would have'.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
And I'll add:

Winning isn't everthing either. NaNo '11 I got about 20k written only, because I had loads of other things going on. But hey - that's 20k more than I had at the start of the month. And I'm happy with those words (for the most part).

(That novel, along with NaNo '10 and Script Frenzy '11 are the reason I'll be going rebel all this year - so I can try to get something finished and out on sub.)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the AW Spec-fic antho.

Silver-midnight: The site to sign up is campnanowrimo.org
If you sign up now the June camp is the one you get placed in. If you want to do the August one you can sign up to do that too.

Well, I did--to some degree--NanoWriMo last November, and when I went to the Camp site they told me I was already signed up. I haven't really been by their since then because the forums are on the main site. I did log into my account on Camp Nano when I found out I already had an account there. So, I might already be scheduled for June, but I don't know for sure.

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
And I'll add:

Winning isn't everthing either. NaNo '11 I got about 20k written only, because I had loads of other things going on. But hey - that's 20k more than I had at the start of the month. And I'm happy with those words (for the most part).

I definitely agree with this. Before NaNo I was the writer who rewrote their first chapter ad nauseum and never got any further. If I'd only written 10k I'd have been proud of myself for just moving forward with something.

Good on you for being a rebel, too. NaNo is a tool. You should always use it in a way that makes sense for you, not just the way it's 'supposed' to be used. ^_^