Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #76
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Aww, a puppy! We should dress him up in cute little outfitss and paint his wee puppy nails!
*whimpers and hides behind cray*

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #77
swachski
bowing..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*does a double take at Kelly's ant-like avie.*

Great line-up Kells. Let's kick some bad guy ass!

(lurvs home-made hummus. What's in it? Garlic? Lemon?)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
swachski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #78
Jehhillenberg
More like the queen of typos. Oops!

Jehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Great choices Kelly, especially Resident Evil. I'll rummage for some board games and whatnot.

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

"I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless
Jehhillenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #79
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This thread title bothers me a little. The tone of the discussion is cool, but the heading makes it sound like an exclusive party where one sex is preferred over another.

What troubles me almost as much is that there's a punctuation omission in the title. That's unforgivable!
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #80
rhymegirl
Summer Is Back!

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
This thread title bothers me a little. The tone of the discussion is cool, but the heading makes it sound like an exclusive party where one sex is preferred over another.

What troubles me almost as much is that there's a punctuation omission in the title. That's unforgivable!
Well why don't you change the title, Fish.

Make it something like "The Geeky Girls and Guys Night Out."

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #81
kayleamay
I'm on the phone.

kayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

SK, I hate to point out the obvious, but this is an exclusive party where one sex is preferred over the other.

Oh, that's bad?

*takes back bacon maple bars*
*pops in BSG Season One*
*puts 'All Species Welcome' sign on door*

I prefer to party solo anyway.

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild
kayleamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #82
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
*whimpers and hides behind cray*
No need to hide behind Cray, if we didn't want boys we'd have posted a 'No Boys Allowed' sign.

Gah! How could we have forgotten Joss Whedon? Did anyone else like Dollhouse? I really wish it would have gone beyond 2 seasons.

SK, Everyone's welcome. If you'd like to tweak the title feel free to do so. A few of us girls were just talking on Twitter about a Geek/Nerd girls thing and decided to take it up a step.

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #83
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
*passes SK a beer and a bag of pork rinds*

Come on over here with the rest of the guys, SK. I think the pillow fight is about to start.

You got a camera?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #84
swachski
bowing..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
There appears to be a healthy population of guys who've already been confident enough to peek into the thread, so I don't see how the heading is a problem... seems more like a draw.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #85
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*crosses D-cell batteries, pocket dog, & sushi off Abi's party needs list*

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I'd say I got off lightly.
Quote:
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #86
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Besides, every good party needs human sacrifices... right? *bats innocent eyes*

Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #87
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Besides, every good party needs human sacrifices... right? *bats innocent eyes*

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
parumpdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #88
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymegirl View Post
Well why don't you change the title, Fish.

Make it something like "The Geeky Girls and Guys Night Out."
Oh, I won't change the title, except maybe to add the possessive form to Girls.

I just wanted to express that I'm not comfortable with the title, which is fine as long as others don't see a problem. I can be overly-cautious in trying to make everyone feel inclusive, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, either.

It's a fine line, sometimes.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #89
rhymegirl
Summer Is Back!

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I can be overly-cautious in trying to make everyone feel inclusive, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, either.
I think all kinds of people will post here no matter what.

For instance, I'm not exactly a geek chick (at least I don't think I am), but I'm posting in here anyways!

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #90
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it will end up attracting everyone - guys just with the title.

Goodreads

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #91
swachski
bowing..

And then we'll paint their toenails.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #92
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

Heh, we did that once in college. We tricked my friend Pete into attending a Mary Kay party where he ended up getting a foot facial and some lovely red toenails out of the evening.

Any up for chocolate cupcakes?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #93
Jehhillenberg
More like the queen of typos. Oops!

Jehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do you even have to ask

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

"I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless
Jehhillenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #94
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #95
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

That is cool.

Goodreads

Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So when are we going shopping?

And to be honest, if there're any girls in this thread who want my advice on dressing goth, I'm so available. The goth look and a geek spirit? Be still my heart!

*unloads a bucket of black nail polish, red everything, a dash of purple, medieval skirts and coffin handbags from his imaginary car*

Everything is 50c.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #97
KitCat
practical experience, FTW

KitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of light
RE: Abby's SuperCupcakes

That is Teh Awesomez!!!
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat
Part of AW's own Crit Circle 2014
KitCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #98
KitCat

KitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
So when are we going shopping?

And to be honest, if there're any girls in this thread who want my advice on dressing goth, I'm so available. The goth look and a geek spirit? Be still my heart!

*unloads a bucket of black nail polish, red everything, a dash of purple, medieval skirts and coffin handbags from his imaginary car*

Everything is 50c.
I do love my black and purple...
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #99
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
But if you just want to geek it up, definitely Buffy and Firefly, Alien and Aliens, Lord Of The Rings, Star Trek Voyager (a Borg with depth!) and, of course, The Big Bang Theory.

*takes a seat away from the guys* I'll just be a girl for the night, shall I?
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #100
KitCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
But if you just want to geek it up, definitely Buffy and Firefly, Alien and Aliens, Lord Of The Rings, Star Trek Voyager (a Borg with depth!) and, of course, The Big Bang Theory.

*takes a seat away from the guys* I'll just be a girl for the night, shall I?
Always welcome here Cliff
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat