Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mainstream/Contemporary/Literary
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
Maybe this has been done before, but (there's always a "but")

In light of kuwisdelu's masterful challenge exercise piece, I thought it might be fun and worthwhile and cat-shave-y if we had informal exercise challenges.

Each week or month or whatever, we could have a set of Rules Thou Shalt Not Break, then break 'em. One person can decide the parameters- no more than 500 words, MC is a Mary Sue, dangle those participles, and use no more than 2 periods, or something.

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in such a thing- this board is so slow which hopefully means we're all hard at work on our real writing, but maybe it would be fun?

Of course, maybe not.

EDIT: Derp, there's a whole BOARD for this business! Never mind!

Last edited by HoneyBadger; 02-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Dr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admiration
Where's the whole board? I've seen sub-forums with things like this. Don't see why we can't. I like the idea.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Dr.Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
I think it sounds fun too!

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: available in August
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
Well, hot damn!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
flapperphilosopher
practical experience, FTW

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Sounds good to me, I'm game!

My blog, connecting with people of the past through their photographs: The Passion of Former Days
flapperphilosopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
spentastico
banned as an incurable tosspot

spentastico is on a distinguished road
Maybe we could model it like the western challenge that was just done. I just submitted to that last week, and I think it's a good format.

I like the idea of the rolling monthly contests - like you have all of March to write something, then you display entries and vote on the March stuff during the first 2 weeks of April while the new April challenge is also going.

Works real well over here at songfight.org, 'cept they have people create entire new songs every week, which boggles my mind. That site has been going for ten years now and is amazing.
spentastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
HoneyBadger

Should we do it here or in The Sandbox?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
randi.lee
More cowbell!

randi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewelrandi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewel
I like this. Nice idea-!

Please try not to take me too seriously. What I've posted above is most likely in jest.

Snap! A Quite Quick Collection now available on Amazon.
randi.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in.
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Dr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admiration
So are we doing this thing? Has anyone else--Libbie, hey Libbie--asked you about this, Badger? I'm up for it still. I'm looking at ways to keep writing while I'm editing.

I'm still up for this, Badger.

Should we put it in our sigs to advertise it? Too bad superbowl's been and gone. Could've got loads of people that way. Can we throw out some ideas of we just freestyling? Not saying I have any ideas. Maybe I do. I'll have a think. What do you think? Is anyone even here?

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
HoneyBadger

I'm here. We've got another whole day to mash this out.

I propose we set it up in The Sandbox or Exercises/Prompts/Whimsy, lest we perpetuate the notion that litsnobs are actual snobs, that the pieces should be due on April 2, and that maybe we could slap together a good solid list of Writerly Rules, randomize 'em, and draw a couple out of a hat. An internet hat.

Uhh, let's say 1k words tops. And I dunno, you wanna vote or just do it for fun, or what? I vote for not voting.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Okay, sounds good. I'm easy on the voting. I'll vote to vote or vote note to. 1K or less sounds about right. Can we not perpetuate the litsnob thing just a little bit? Joking. Maybe I'll use a purple font.

I'm going to have a look at that second place you mentioned. Don't think I've been to that part of town.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Okay, so that second place you mentioned that I'm not bothering to write looks good. I noticed the western SYW has one of these going so it could always be in literary SYW too.

Right now, ducks are flying past my balcony. They make me feel like Tony Soprano. FYI.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
I love challenges, so I'm up for whatever. Vote, don't vote, here or in the sandbox. I'm game for whatever.

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: available in August
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
that the pieces should be due on April 2
April 1 seems more appropriate somehow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
I noticed the western SYW has one of these going so it could always be in literary SYW too.
SYW seems like the appropriate place to me, too.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
HoneyBadger

I don't know if I trust this bunch with such a loaded deadline.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I don't know if I trust this bunch with such a loaded deadline.
The irony is weak in you.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sounds great, irony and all.
Marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
HoneyBadger

Okay, Mr. Snarkypants. April 1 it is.

Because I am the boss of this thread which is based on an idea I stole, here are the rules for March for right this second. We can yammer about it today, then I'll throw up a post in Literary SYW.

We'll start with a couple of Elmore Leonard's rules for writing fiction.

1) Open the piece with weather.
2) Always use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
3) You are allowed as many exclamation points as you need, but you only get 5 periods, so use them carefully. They're rare, and we don't want to use them all up at once.
4) Write what you don't know.

Regarding the final point, write about something you are painfully ignorant about, and you can't do any research. For example, The Crimean War. I don't know who the hell fought it, when, where, or why, so that would be an excellent choice for me. Just make shit up.

Okay, my brave Atlanta Knights. Yea or nay?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
spentastico

5 periods? What's the word limit we're aiming for?

Leave it to the literary challenge to be convoluted as all hell... LOL
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

So I'm gonna have to ellipsis the hell out of this and have my characters asking questions and answering with questions or cutting off. Either that or I can do an ode to Cormac McCarthy and use 'and' 700 times.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
HoneyBadger

1k words max, making the 5 period restriction ridiculous because that's like 3 extra periods for that number of words.

Plus? Exclamation points!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
spentastico

Quote:
Should we do it here or in The Sandbox?
LOL I just noticed this. Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that...

But seriously, the period thing is beyond my expertise, so it'll be a deal breaker for me. Maybe others can do that, but I would personally find that a very exhausting read. Hell, I've already used four.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
HoneyBadger

Aww, don't give up! The point of the challenge is to take the Thou-Shalt-Nots and turn them into something readable and enjoyable, and while I understand that it may be difficult, that's part of the fun- you know what I mean?

How about, if any one set of anti-rules proves too daunting, you can skip that rule? Does that sound reasonable?

(Period count: zero!)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

I think I'm okay with it. I've even got an idea and a title: Back, Sack, and Crack.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson