Not open for further replies.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Okay, folks, here is the first official Elements of Horror challenge.

For anyone who wants to join in but isn't sure what I'm talking about :tongue, please read this thread which explains the concept.

This month I'd like to kick things off by practicing Beginnings. Because it's the beginning of this challenge, duh. ;) (though I won't take credit for that idea, it was another hound who gave it to me).

The second option (or you may choose both options if you like, no one is limiting you) is: the part/scene of your story where your MC Confronts the Big Bad (whether that's a supernatural/paranormal bad or the guy next door, or him/herself--whatever). It doesn't have to be a fight or action scene, just that confrontation. It may be quiet.

Remember, you can start something new if you want or pull from any of your current WIPs. And you don't have to post the whole story (unless you want to). If you do post the whole story, though, keep in mind that critters may only crit one of the two elements we're focusing on. And keep it under 5k or you may not get crits.

Make sure to specify if you are open to LBLs as well. Otherwise, we're looking primarily at the effectiveness of the "elements" we're practicing each month.

You have all of March to post your stuff in SYW. Please label it something like Your Title: March Elements, so that we can all find it easily. And then come back here and tell us where it's at, too.

I highly encourage you to use *this* thread to post helpful recs on how to attack these two elements, but it's not required. If you have helpful links to articles or book recs etc.

Greg talked about Beginnings a little in the Bare Bones of Horror thread a couple years ago. Perhaps you'll find something useful there. :)

Erm...am I forgetting anything?

Questions?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great! I need to tweak the opening of "Early Risers" anyway--I haven't changed it since I changed from short story to novel on that one.

Question: What is an "LBL?"

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Just posting so this thread will get subscribed. Great ideas, Soapy. I think I have a confrontation in my novel that I would like to see what people think of it. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cool.

I've been struggling a bit with the beginning in my current WIP.

:e2writer:
:hooray:

Sounds great! I need to tweak the opening of "Early Risers" anyway--I haven't changed it since I changed from short story to novel on that one.

Question: What is an "LBL?"
Wendy got it...half right. :tongue But we knew what you meant, Wendy.
Line by line--as in a detailed crit basically.

Just posting so this thread will get subscribed. Great ideas, Soapy. I think I have a confrontation in my novel that I would like to see what people think of it. :)
Again :hooray:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
D'oh! *facepalm* Of course. I shoulda seen that. (Rhoda sometimes can't do the acronym thing.)

So, is it all right if I do more than one? Because I'm needing to edit "Doppelganger" right now as well, and that has both a beginning that needs work and a Confronting The Big Bad scene that I want to be strong and creepy.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Ta-da!

^That's the opening for "Doppelganger," after being retooled a bit through my own edits.

So, question: Since I'm thinking about doing another scene from the same story for the confrontation part of this, should I start a new thread or keep them both in one?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
All righty, will do. I'll probably post that one a bit later; I want to get through whatever editing I can do on my own on that scene, and then I'll post it for this.

(And thanks! :) )

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, actually, now that you put it that way...maybe it should be two threads. I didn't realize you wouldn't be doing them both at the same time.

:idea:

What does everyone else think? If you're posting for both elements, and especially if you're not posting them at the same time, and/or they are from different WIPs, should they go in the same thread in SYW or separate ones?

I'm leaning toward:
same WIP, posting at same time = one thread
same WIP, posting at different times = two threads
different WIPs = two threads (no matter if posted at the same time or not)

Thoughts?

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Cool - thanks for the link!

I'll take a look at it sometime between today and Sunday.

:)

Li'l Dude's home on Spring Break, stuck inside for more rain, and I promised he could use my 'puter.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all for playing along this month, the first month of my pet project. ;) We even had a newbie join in, too, don't know if you noticed in SYW.

Now, to see if this can fly beyond the initial launch.

It's nearing the time to pass the torch. Who wants it? Anyone have any elements they'd like to practice in April? If so, speak up now. Otherwise I'll be picking someone randomly. :evil

If anyone needs a refresher on what this monthly challenge is all about, you can go here to read about the birth of it and the "terms" so to speak: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238816

chickenrising

Registered
Reaction score
I'm that newbie. I thought I posted here a few days ago but it seems I did not.

Anyways, Hullo.

Status
Not open for further replies.