Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Poetry
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
CONGRATULATIONS DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES CONTEST WINNERS!

Finally! The results you have all been salivating over!

THERE'S A TIE FOR SECOND PLACE!

(I feel like I am reliving Blarg's Zipcode contest results. )

But unlike Blarg's contest, where one of the two got notably more first and second votes, it is pretty much a wash between them. So I am going to take a page from my predecessor and declare both of them 2nd place winners. I will do the coin toss on who gets to choose the prize first, and go on from there.

Unlike my predecessor, I am going to move the next closest person up into 3rd place, since I have four prizes donated for the contest and the tally is sooooo close! It seems only fair.

So, on to the announcement of the winners.

In the number one spot with her poem Cracklaeur, please congratulate

veinglory!

In the number two spot, please congratulate these two ladies who did a wonderful job and tied for 2nd:

Kelly Assauer for her poem Fevered!

&

ajc for her poem Last Night I Saw Pauline!

In third-place, coming in just one point shy (!) of tying for second-place with Kelly and Amy, please congratulate:

kborsden for his poem Schizoaffective Re-Order!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares Poetry Contest!

Thank you, everyone, entrants and voters and those who went out of their way to publicize this contest for helping make this contest such a huge success. I can not tell you how much your support and participation have meant to me. I am still grinning!

For those of you that wonder, yes I will be posting the rankings and total points for the contestants. But I am having some trouble making it look right here using white dots to separate out the categories, so give me a bit. I wanted to go ahead and get the announcement out on the winners first before I spent any more time mucking about with formatting. (eta: info in post #15.)

(Prize winners – pm me with your choices so we can get your prizes to you.)

History:

If you would like to read the original thread announcing the contest, you will find it here: Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares.

If you missed entering or voting in this contest, and still want to read the entries, you will find them here: entries. (password: citrus)

If you want to read the discussion thread about the contest, you will find it here: discussion.

That's it, folks! This completes the February Poetry Contest: Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares. It's been a load of fun and my sincere appreciation goes out to all who entered and all who voted. Thanks, everyone!

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Last edited by Ambrosia; 03-03-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two of my choices placed! Yay!

congratulations! The other two winners were on my short list!

This one tiptoes, quite beautifully
Thief

Fear of flying?
Aerophobia in poetry forum

You know who they are. Dharma Queens by Kylabelle

Kie's latest beauty

More poetry links coming soon!
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
escritora

escritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats! None of my choices placed, but it's all good. There was stiff competition.
escritora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[Undignified happy dance]

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
congrats, Em!

This one tiptoes, quite beautifully
Thief

Fear of flying?
Aerophobia in poetry forum

You know who they are. Dharma Queens by Kylabelle

Kie's latest beauty

More poetry links coming soon!
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
starbeam
practical experience, FTW

starbeam has a spectacular aurastarbeam has a spectacular aura
Congrats everyone who won! One of my choices got first place! Woo hoo!
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ambrosia for a great competition.
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
moth
little by little

moth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmoth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congratulations all!

First place winner was one of my choices too! Yippee!

Thank you again Ambrosia!
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying

.................................................. ..........-- Dexter Holland

moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congratulations, veinglory , Kelly , ajc , and kborsden !
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Perscribo
Trioletist

Perscribo has earned our admirationPerscribo has earned our admirationPerscribo has earned our admirationPerscribo has earned our admiration
Democracy does work! My vote counted for something! Woo hoo!

Congratulations, winners!

Jen
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Brandt
give it to me straight

Brandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for President
Congrats to the winners. Two of my choices placed (yes!!!!), but I truly enoyed them all.
Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Blarg
Banned

Blarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputation
Congrats to veinglory, KellyAssauer, ajc, and kborsden!

Great job everyone (including Ambrosia and Kelly for all her help publicizing)!

Really nice contest with very strong entries!
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wohooooo! veinglory! and ajc! and kborsden

Great poems all around!
and
Great people all around!

Thank you Ambrosia for the opportunity,
-and to be perfectly honest - I'm stunned.

Thank you everyone.

Originally Posted by CassandraW View Post
What. the F. am I now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
Wohooooo! veinglory! and ajc! and kborsden

Great poems all around!
and
Great people all around!

Thank you Ambrosia for the opportunity,
-and to be perfectly honest - I'm stunned.

Thank you everyone.

Ditto that!

My first and second place choices both won second place. How cool is that. Broken Me was my other pick. I thought it was powerful. It conveyed so much in so few words. That's the one that made me want to cry.

On Amazon.

Last edited by HistorySleuth; 03-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ok, due to the fact that posting anything with columns here is nigh to impossible, I did the only thing I could think of and turned the document into an image file and uploaded it to Photo Bucket. (Yes, I will jump through flaming hoops for you folks! )

Without further ado, here are the rankings for this contest:

And give me a few minutes and I will pull out the votes that were disqualified due to the voters not being at AW on or before 12 Jan, minus the names of course, and add them to this message so you can see how they would have changed things.

ETA:

So you can figure it out, first choice "a" is worth 3 points, second choice "b" is worth 2 points, and third choice "c" is worth one point. And no, I won't do any more tallying so don't ask me.

Disqualified votes (which really brought the number of people who read and voted up to 157. I hope a lot more read. )

a. 04. Sleep Drops A Dream
b. 23. An Old Man’s Amazement
c. 11. Creator and Destroyer

a. 01. Enchanted Forest
b. 13. Summer Dreams
c. 12. Six Million Dollars

a. 02. Schizoaffective Re-order
b. 18. Dancing the Dactyl Dream
c. 15. Exile

a. 06. To Be of Age.
b. 03. Toad-Man.
c. 12. Six Million Dollars.

a. 16. 24/7 Fun?
b. 04. Sleep Drops A Dream
c. 11. Creator and Destroyer

a. 18. Dancing the dactyl dream
b. 07. My love of movies
c. 13. Summer drums

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

Last edited by Ambrosia; 03-03-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
ajc
What do I know?

ajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthoodajc is a candidate for sainthood
Wowie! I am honored! I was having a bad day but...NOT ANYMORE!

Congrats to Veinglory. Beautiful poem. And also congratulations to Kelly and Kie.

But really we are all winners. Brave people write poetry. All the poems were fantastic. Congrats to all the brave poets!
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

I totally agree, Amy. Congrats to all the brave poets!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
Yay! Two of mine placed, and the third was on my "short list."

Congrats to all the winners, and to everyone who entered!!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Steppe

Steppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthoodSteppe is a candidate for sainthood
Weep! Congrats to all the winners and everybody that just sent a poem in and all those who voted. Thank you Ambrosia.
"Don't worry about readers. Their on their own and will find meanings for your poems in their histories and yearnings. Let language go where it wants. If readers respond to your language, the poem can't help but mean." Poet Richard Hugo
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
escritora

escritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The amount of people who voted made the contest a lot more fun to participate in. Thanks, everyone!
escritora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
kborsden
Has a few recurring issues

kborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Who's this kborsden fellah?

I'm actually rather dumb-struck right now. Wow--so many solid poems, so many votes. It's an absolute honour to come in at 3rd... but how close were those top 8 entries, wow. What a contest, what a rush!

I'm happy to see my choices ranked high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Brave people write poetry. All the poems were fantastic. Congrats to all the brave poets!
Even braver people let others read them!

Got to write an Englyn or 2
kborsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #22
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Toad Man was on my short list. It appeals to the M/T/S in me.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
JohnL
Hmmmm...

JohnL is a shiny, shiny jewelJohnL is a shiny, shiny jewel
Superb work by our winners, a mighty fine job by all entrants, and a huge whoop whoop to Ambrosia for such a well run contest! So much positivity flowed from this puppy it's amazing -- just a big round of applause to everyone involved in every capacity!
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #24
Night_Writer
It's all symbolic.

Night_Writer is on a distinguished road
Great contest. It was so much fun! And congrats to the winners.

My avatar is the Ace of Swords from the Tarot of Metamorphosis.
Night_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #25
CC.Allen
Aim twice, Shoot once...

Location: Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawaii for ever.
CC.Allen is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by kborsden View Post
Even braver people let others read them!
I feel the need for a "Bingo" after this statement. Congrats to all the winners and to all of the entrants.

Current WIP: The Village - Their Voyage home
Editing via Proof Copy

----------
CC.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote