Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
StaceyJaine
practical experience, FTW

StaceyJaine is on a distinguished road
He/she asked? Is it redundant?

Is the dialogue tag he asked or she asked redundant in writing? I'm asking because in a writing contest I was a part of recently one of the participants said it was.
ex.
“So where exactly does this package need to be delivered to?” he asked (I was told that when adding the question mark the he asked tag is redundant.)

It's the first time I've ever come across this so any insight or advice is welcome.

StaceyJaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are far more serious things to worry about than using 'he asked'.

It may be redundant insofar as the asking of a question is obvious by the question mark, but you won't get shot for using it occasionally or in place of 'he said' or if it helps the flow.

And if the speaker is already known, any dialogue tag could be called redundant.

Last edited by Bufty; 03-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Rolling Thunder
Free.

Rolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it's just an opinion of style. You can use that attribute if you like, but I myself probably wouldn't use it often. Leaving it off saves words, which is always a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray View Post
we should probably end it with those sage words.
thank you, artee.
*locks thread*
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. All depends on how it reads.

And if this is part of a back-and-forth exchange between two characters, this would be a good place to leave off the tag altogether.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
StaceyJaine

Thanks for the input guys. As always, just curious.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's no more redundant than said. I think said looks weird following a question mark. I wouldn't worry about asked, as long as it's not asked questioningly .
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
JHBogran
J H Bogran

JHBogran is on a distinguished road
It may be redundant due to the question mark in the dialogue, however, the importance of the tag is not what he did--asked--but who did it--"he."

If you have several characters in the scene you need the tag to clarify who did it. Otherwise, you may avoid the redundancy but fall into the talking heads syndrome. ;-) IMHO.
JHBogran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputation
If the sentence needs a dialogue tag, either asked or said is fine. I know because I see it written both ways in the many books I read.
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
StaceyJaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBogran View Post
It may be redundant due to the question mark in the dialogue, however, the importance of the tag is not what he did--asked--but who did it--"he."

If you have several characters in the scene you need the tag to clarify who did it. Otherwise, you may avoid the redundancy but fall into the talking heads syndrome. ;-) IMHO.
Ah... which might have been the actual problem within my prose. I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks.

In saying that I picked up two novels and flicked through at random. None of the sentences that ended with a ? had dialogue tags after them. Which I thought was interesting.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If I use "asked", I leave off the question mark. If I use the question mark, I leave off "he asked." Just as you never use any dialogue tag when not needed, I treat "?" and "asked" the same way. I've never found a place where both are needed.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Cathy C
In loving memory...RIP Gato
Absolute Sage

Cathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I find many tags redundant if the speaker is obvious. I would use the space on the page to give the reader more insight into the character. Instead of:

"Do you want to?" Bob asked.

You can do something like this:

"Do you want to?" Bob's eager expression made her laugh.
Re-release of Thrall series as URBAN FANTASY!
Forbidden, coming 1/15!
Our Website
Follow me: Twitter

".Adams and Clamp are adept at incorporating riveting plot twists into this fully imagined world" **Starred Review ALA Booklist

"Great chemistry between the leads and a swift pace. - Publishers Weekly

"An exceedingly intriguing heroine trying to survive a dangerous and complex world. Kate's struggles and choices are both vivid and terrifying. An unbeatably good paranormal!” RT Bookreviews
Cathy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Flow > redundancy.

And JAR is not correct about leaving off the question mark when using "asked."

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
ladybritches
late to the party

ladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewelladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've seen questions written both ways:

"Am I wrong," James asked.

"Am I wrong?" James asked.

I'd just pick one and use it consistently.
ladybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudge
If you don't use it, will it confuse the reader as to who is speaking at that time? I throw in a tag every now and then, or, action before/after the dialogue to show who has the "ball in their court."

The last thing you want to do is to make your readers count backwards to try and remember who was speaking first, second, etc.. Do you need something on every line? No. Every other line? Probably not if the dialogue is efficient enough.

Think of action, too.

Bob looked at Frank. "Where am I supposed to deliver this?"
Frank shrugged.

You know who's talking and who's doing what.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I usually asked or something close to that if I do a dialogue tag after a character asks a question. I don't think there's a problem with it.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Fins Left

Fins Left is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy C View Post
I find many tags redundant if the speaker is obvious. I would use the space on the page to give the reader more insight into the character. Instead of:

"Do you want to?" Bob asked.

You can do something like this:

"Do you want to?" Bob's eager expression made her laugh.
If I knew how to put in a clappy thingy, I would. I get so lost in conversations, but 'he said' / 'she said' gets old.
Fins Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyJaine View Post
Is the dialogue tag he asked or she asked redundant in writing?
It's not redundant in writing. It is redundant in some instances. Without more context, we can't tell whether or not it's redundant in the example given.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road
As an editor, I trim what we call "said tags' (which includes "asked") as much as possible. These tags are necessary when we don't know which character is speaking through context. Otherwise, they're just extra words. "She asked" after a question isn't incorrect (in fact, most style guides will tell you "she said" after a question mark is incorrect), but more often than not, you can replace those pesky said tags with description that not only shows who is speaking, but also shows us something about the character's movement, body language, surroundings, or state of mind.
LindsayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
If I use "asked", I leave off the question mark. If I use the question mark, I leave off "he asked." Just as you never use any dialogue tag when not needed, I treat "?" and "asked" the same way. I've never found a place where both are needed.
Are you saying that you write sentences like this?

"How far to the depot," he asked.

Because I don't think that's correct. A question needs a question mark.

And obviously "he asked" is redundant, if all you need it for is to let the reader know that someone asked a question. But if you need to let the reader know who asked the question, then some sort of tag is necessary.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
pyrosama
Pyrosama

pyrosama is on a distinguished road
I like to avoid tags if possible. If you can use lead ins so you know who is talking, it's better to me.

Johnny lit a cigarette, "She sleep with him?"

"No. It was all innocent."

"Then sure, I'll forgive her." He blew smoke into the air. "But you better not be lying to me, Vic. I'll come find you."

Are We There Yet?

Facebook and Twitter
pyrosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Am I wrong," Jane asked is not correct punctuation. Questions should be followed by question marks, whether or not additional dialogue tags follow.

I think the best practice is to use dialogue tags when they're necessary for the reader to understand who's speaking, and not otherwise. I am also a user of "asked" for questions and "said" for statements.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
The Lonely One
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputation
I think a far more important redundancy to eliminate is how many tags are actually used in a section of dialogue. Tags are non-essential except for where clarity is needed. Often, if it is only two people, a paragraph break is sufficient to indicate a change in speaker, and context does the rest.

Asked is 'redundant' in some sense, but quite common in writing dialogue throughout the history of literature, so you're in no danger by using it. I use said more often, but asked is no more glaring to readers than said or nothing at all, IMO.

"There is no language without deceit." -Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Always work at making different mistakes and you'll get there.
The Lonely One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #23
ladybritches
late to the party

ladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewelladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
"Am I wrong," Jane asked is not correct punctuation. Questions should be followed by question marks, whether or not additional dialogue tags follow.
I believe you, so everyone should just ignore my last post. I thought I remembered seeing it written that way in a book after I'd argued against it on the Writer's Digest site, but I must have been dreaming.
ladybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #24
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybritches View Post
I believe you, so everyone should just ignore my last post. I thought I remembered seeing it written that way in a book after I'd argued against it on the Writer's Digest site, but I must have been dreaming.
If you've seen a question that terminated with a full stop, or period, rather than with a question mark, it could have been an example of a question as a statement. That would be correct punctuation, though even that usage is often terminated with a question mark. But if it was followed by a tag with asked, rather than said, that would suggest the usage wasn't a question as a statement.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
n3onkn1ght

n3onkn1ght is well-respected
Some people say it's redundant, but to each their own. To me, there's nothing more of a chore and an eyesore than to read twenty lines of back'n'forth dialogue without any dialogue attribution. I actually stopped reading Terry Pratchett's Jingo because of that. Unless each character has a really distinct voice, it gets confusing. Using "Ravi asked" every once in a while goes a long way towards preventing that, especially when it segues into an action.