May 2012 Flash Fiction Challenge!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the May Flash Fortnight!

The May Flash Fortnight will run from Monday 14th May (Day 1) to Sunday 27th May (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

Prompts

Day 14 : Hidden in the undergrowth.
Day 13 : Intolerable.
Day 12 : An unexpected colour.
Day 11 : Overtures.
Day 10 : Plead your case.
Day 9 : Exterminate.
Day 8 : The band.
Day 7 : A strange view.
Day 6 : Fake ID.
Day 5 : Ageless.
Day 4 : A new kind of crypt.
Day 3 : Mini-me.
Day 2 : A surreptitious entrance or exit.
Day 1 : Interception.

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself, or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
These are great Sophia!
I'm hoping to make this month my most 'successful' fortnight yet--although the most I've done in a FF challenge so far is 3 I think, so that shouldn't be too hard :eek:.
Anyway, thanks again for doing this!
I'll report back with my progress. :)
I'm really hoping to come up with some things I can submit to pro FF markets and/or some solid beginnings for longer stuff!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good luck, Tienci! You can beat 3, I have no doubt! Go go go! :e2cheer:

If you'd like a little extra motivation and company, some of the members have been posting their daily stories in Polished and Ready. I look forward to seeing something from you there. :)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There will be a new challenge starting on June 14th. You can find details about the monthly prompts, as well as links to prompts from all the previous challenges, here.