Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Draco
Banned

Draco is on a distinguished road
Joe Konrath issues challenge to fisk his latest blog entry or any of his blog entries.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2012/0...09850467972064

Challenge issued in comments section by Joe Konrath at 2:07 AM near the end of the comments.

Any takers?

Last edited by Draco; 05-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post

Challenge issued in comments section by Joe Konrath at 2:07 AM near the end of the comments.

Any takers?
You're really intrigued by this Konrath thing, aren't you?

Last edited by mccardey; 05-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Draco
Banned

Draco is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
You're really intrigued by this Konrath thing, aren't you?
Yes I am.

Read his comment and you may be intrigued as well.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, I see he quoted me...I suppose that makes me a pinhead to him. How flattering. I shall have a t shirt made. (ETA: Where's my attribution, huh? huh? )

It's an opinion. He's allowed one, same as I'm allowed mine. Oh well.

I see he asks us to respond to his points etc*. Can't be arsed, tbh. If he wants to do this, that's great. If other people want to listen to him, that's their prerogative. My only point was this: If you want to self publish, read widely about it. He says that AW is all 'Nyah nyah', but he's nothing but 'rah rah'. You (proto-self-publishing person) need to see all POVs on this.

Read. Learn. Make up your own mind.

*ETA I did respond to ask that IF he's going to quote me, he should include the most salient part, which I then added.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 05-19-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
...or any of his blog entries.
Already been done.

A long time since.

Me? Not interested enough in Konrath to even look at his blog.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
When this guy learns how to write a succinct, focused, non-ranting journal entry, I'll give him another shot.

I don't have time to read 3400 words of crazy.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
Quote:
My advice to writers: stop being stupid.

Publishing Culture is guaranteed to end, and when it does everyone will be better off.

Well, everyone except the gatekeepers. But don't cry for them. They never cried for you.
I think I'll just keep being stupid, as being stupid in pursuing a stupid traditional writing career via trade and journal publishing is what will help my stupid writing career so I can win the stupid Orange Prize and make stupid money.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I read it! (most of it)

So, now I know who Mr Konrath is, and although that's fifteen minutes of my life I'm not going to get back again, can I just quote his statement -

Quote:
If some legacy publisher gave me 1.5 million for a book, I'd take it.
and add -

Me too, Mr K!

Oh, me too!

Last edited by mccardey; 05-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
When this guy learns how to write a succinct, focused, non-ranting journal entry, I'll give him another shot.

I don't have time to read 3400 words of crazy.
Yup.

I think he has a point in that writers should really think about contracts etc. He's taken a contract from Amazon which he finds appealing. Others may well find contracts with Big Six appealing, for their own reasons. That's up to them, and I lose him when he bashes authors who are taking a contract that works for them.

Sadly any good points are lost in a landslide of:

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Old 05-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
One thing he's got down pat - how to tell people what they want to hear. Or is it fooling some of the people all of the time. Or... something...

But yeah - I prefer being my kind of stupid to his kind.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
God, who cares what Konrath says? It's all opinion. He should spend more time writing, and less time issuing challenges.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Publishing Culture is guaranteed to end, and when it does everyone will be better off.

Well, everyone except the gatekeepers. But don't cry for them. They never cried for you.
Oh, does he mean the people who nurture the careers of young authors, including the young Joe Konrath?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
God, who cares what Konrath says? It's all opinion. He should spend more time writing, and less time issuing challenges.
But he can't, you know. That blog is, at the very least, a big chunk of his marketing effort.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Isn't he on AW?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pretty sure he was banned awhile back. Came and spouted some pretty nasty insults at the mods in the self-publishing forum, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on that, though. He might have just been given a time out.

ETA: Just correcting myself to say I looked it up and he wasn't, so it was just a time-out. But yeah, he's here. He pops in sometimes.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

Last edited by kaitie; 05-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post

Any takers?
He's already been pwnd.

Also? He's an not really in a position to pontificate regarding the history of publishing; publishing has at least a 3,000 year old history. It's still working just fine. The current publishing paradigm works so well that if I want to read something by Konrath, I have to look for it; I'm otherwise protected from his ramblings.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What does "fisk" mean?

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Seems like a great way to drum up site-traffic to this blog. I don't know the guy. Don't read his blog or posts or books (except glancing at his page for a few minutes now). If he's found a model that works for him, great. I read one post where he yells at his readers to get the F off his blog and websites and message boards and just WRITE, and then he baits people into coming to his website to debate with him?

Maybe he has a blog-monkey to do the net stuff for him.
Maybe he has a clone.

I dunno. I never took to people thumping their chest on the internet in hopes of getting into an epic pissing contest. I'll pass. The people on this board (minus the few asshats which every board has) are pretty damn helpful and thoughtful. You get out of the board what you "put in," in terms of reading and educating yourself.

Again, don't read this guy's stuff. It could be that the more I read him, the more I agree with him. I'm just not interested seeing the few internet tantrums he's already had. Doesn't seem very professional to me. Maybe it's my loss.

Last edited by CrastersBabies; 05-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
What does "fisk" mean?
An odd way of spelling fish.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder how many self published books Koranth buys and reads a month...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
An odd way of spelling fish.
No; it's a reference to a journalist named Robert Fisk.

It's from the early years of blogging history, roughly contemporary with Ken Layne's “It’s 2001, and we can Fact Check your ass.”

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like an attempt to encourage more visitors to his blog.

The visits have been dying down as of late as the devotees tend to discover there's not a golden pot o'gold at the end of the rainbow like Joe said.

*yawn*
Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
Bogna
A Scottish Ginger Cat

Bogna has a spectacular auraBogna has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
Oh, I see he quoted me...I suppose that makes me a pinhead to him. How flattering. I shall have a t shirt made. (ETA: Where's my attribution, huh? huh? )
Ohhh, I will buy one of your shirts.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #24
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
This is a classic case of someone believing their own hype. I have no interest in anyone with such blinkers on and this is him blowing more hot air about the evils of every way but how he tells people to publish. A route he doesn't follow himself.

I would love his sales but not his crazy distorted opinion of how he achieved them.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder how good his sales are, since he keeps stirring up the blog pot to get more readers. When I first heard about him, I was impressed with his story (if not his actual writing). The more I read of his rants, the less I care.

Self-publishing works for some people, if they can spend the time on promotions. Ol' Joe lucked out because he already had street cred from his work with Hyperion. I guarantee you, his results are not typical. Folks who will not get rich off multi-level marketing, real estate, gold sales, Mary Kay, or Amway will not get Konrath-style returns from self-publishing. Not in the current economy.

Now, there's still a lot I don't like about the Big Six model, and even some of the standard operating procedures from the smaller, nimbler trade publishers. But I'm currently working with an e-pub for a niche market piece, and will be working with a 'tradtional' agent to sell some mainstream SF&F. I'm looking at self-publishing as a sales tool linked with those other efforts, not as a replacement.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Closed Thread