June Elements Of Horror - Sounds Of Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There has been much made in recent years of the sounds of fear - indeed, several films have played with the strange sounds which give people pause for reflection on what they consider to be "strange" - the abysmal way in which most of these have been handled doesn't invalidate the use of sound, but highlights the delicate touch required to properly implement the use of acoustic horror.

One quote which consistently makes me think about the way sounds are incorporated into storytelling is the oft-overlooked "the scariest sound in the world is children's laughter in an empty room". Playing off this, and using the introduction of senses in prose to their fullest, highlight what you believe to be the scariest sound you can imagine.

For those who want to play further, you can also utilize smell to enhance the mood of the piece, though (an added wrinkle for those accustomed to traditional horror pieces) I would rather visual descriptions were left out, or dealt with in unconventional ways - the notion that something is indescribable is something of a cheat. :D

That should keep people busy and out of trouble for a while...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
*stretches writing muscles*

Sheesh, this is a good one. A tough one. But a really good one. :idea: Now, to figure out what to attack.

I imagine the entry would be rather smallish, or could be. Which might be nice for a change, tight and focused.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Great elements topic, BW. It just so happens I'm working on a zombie short story and, of course, there's the classic moaning. But what other sounds are there? The sound of intestines slithering behind a walking corpse that's been disemboweled, the sound of shambling feet on pavement (what's that going to sound like amplified to a hundred or a thousand corpses?), the screaming (oh, yes, the screaming) as some unfortunate is dragged down and eaten alive?

The sound of bullets impacting dead flesh, the sound of panic in survivors, the sound of an entire group of survivors suddenly inhaling as something horrible happens, the whack of an axe or sword chopping into dead meat, etc., etc.

And the moaning, always the incessant moaning...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
But what other sounds are there? The sound of intestines slithering behind a walking corpse that's been disemboweled, the sound of shambling feet on pavement (what's that going to sound like amplified to a hundred or a thousand corpses?), the screaming (oh, yes, the screaming) as some unfortunate is dragged down and eaten alive?

There are more sounds than the big, flashy ones (the sounds that grab our attention - a whisper in your ear, when you know that you are alone in the room, is more terrifying than any amount of screaming. Echoes are good as well, playing off the fear that the words coming back might not be the ones you said.

And you guys do realize you have a wealth of words to play with, right? I haven't seen "ululations" in print in... damn, it must be years now.

I've been thinking about this a ridiculous amount. :D

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
excellent prompt.

I'm working on a western/horror short that incorporates this idea ... well, I think it does anyway :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, good prompt! I don't know whether I'll get anything finished by the end of the month (crazy-busy June for me this year), but this focus on sound might be just the kick I need to move forward on one particular story I've been having trouble with. So thanks!

Just for the record, sounds that give Rhoda the creepy-crawlies: clicking, ticking, tapping, thumping, or anything other small, repetitive noise that won't stop. Bonus points if it gets gradually louder or closer, or changes in tempo.

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
That's what we'll be here to tell you. :D And help make it better if it needs it. :hi: Welcome aboard.

This sounds really interesting. I've toyed with the concept of Western/horror before but haven't quite got there yet.

The sound I chose isn't necessarily the "sound of fear" but it does evoke some emotion, hopefully some uneasiness.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
One of these days I intend to finish my dark western/fantasy/horror - like maybe this month. I also need to finish my space opera/western "The Hard Man" modeled around John Wayne movies, but that's beside the point. What sounds would a spell make? Does conjuring a spell make a different sound than just the conjuror's voice? Does "gathering the twishers" (anybody recognize the reference?) make a sound?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno what a "twisher" is, Greg, but most spellcasting (well, from what I know of movies and various games of Dungeons and Dragons) stir up wind, which rattles whatever is wont to rattle. And electrical sounds--static, sparks, that kind of thing.

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my attempt at this in about 1100 words, gonna sit on it and then do some revision.

great prompt this month, it was pretty inspiring. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Finished my attempt at this in about 1100 words, gonna sit on it and then do some revision.

great prompt this month, it was pretty inspiring. :)
Oh, I haven't seen this--I'll be along to crit soon.

In the meantime, I was going to say, I have something that is sort of supposed to be creepy because of the *absence* of sound. I hope to get it up soon. I have it in my head how I want it to come off, but I'm not very happy with how it came out on paper.

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I haven't seen this--I'll be along to crit soon.

It's not posted yet.

I have two stories that are up there right now, I didn't want to post another one till those ran their course and I had a chance to contribute some critique :)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Put mine up. 712 words, from my novel. Am I allowed to post another one? Bit of a SYW fiend right now. It won't last...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, there is no limit on the number of pieces you put up (well... within reason - sticking a dozen up in one go is probably gonna annoy peeps).

zahra

Registered
Reaction score

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hell's bells - I forgot the part about not using visuals. Ach.

Status
Not open for further replies.