Does this plot violate the principle of rising action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I've been musing about the structure of my current novel and the one after it and ended up with this question in the title of the thread.

Pretend** novel:

Set in a coal-mining community in 1971, we follow three miners about to leave for work. A has an argument with his wife. B's hippie teenaged son smarts off to him. C is confronted by a loan shark whom he owes big. Shark says if he can't get money from C, he'll go to his younger brother, D, and beat him up.

They go down into the mine. There's an accident, an explosion and cave in. A, B, and C are alive but trapped. The novel moves back and forth between the increasingly oxygen deprived depths and the surface, where Mrs A, B Jr., and D feel regret and worry, the mine company secretly balances cost of rescue with value of human life, attempts are made to rescue, but they fail. Back and forth, mine and surface. (Underground, it's a bit like 12 Angry Men but in the dark.)

The climactic moment down below is when A, B and C realize they're going to die. Above, it's...well, whatever, at the climax, then denouement, the end. I'm tired of plotting this* so imagine a topside climax of some sort.

My question is, since the really big action set piece is the mine collapse, and lots of pages will be spent there, is this structure a violation of the principle of rising action?

I've gotten curious about the theory of this and thought I'd throw it open to discussion.

* Though I admit, whenever I provide an example like this, it sounds more and more interesting as a real writing project. SNI time! lol.

** "Pretend" means made up. I made it up for this post. Insult it, steal it, I don't care. Got a million more ideas where this one came from

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Is this story about suspense or about relationships?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I think we can draw a distinction here between the physical plot and the mental / emotional / character-centric plot. The physical action becomes less dramatic as the story progresses, but the latter builds to what can be a compelling climax. So, no.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
So... You're asking about a constant progression of action that doesn't lead to a big upheaval? Like a continuous rumbling without a real "rise" in the action before the climax?

I guess it's fine. But you could just start to hold off on the conflict. If you push them to the side and start compounding them later on, it would create a swell in the rising action.

The only problem I see is that the reader might get bored of the "plateau" of the story. If there is not dramatic, climbing rise, the reader might get bored of being constantly assaulted with conflict.

I really hope this works out:

Normal plot structure: (- are scenes, (.) are filler)

................--
--..........--
..........--......--
.......--
....--
..-

Your (what I think) plot structure:

--
................--
....---------..--

..-

Is this close?

barnhijl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so, but I'm not an expert. wouldn't the climax be more about the internal conflicts of the dying characters?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Surely the lack of air and progression from okay we're going to live to okay we're going to die is a rising climax? It's a rising stake for sure - for them and the people waiting for them.

Depends how you handle it, obviously, but it looks to me like the tension/stakes rise as the book goes on ( that you know the end may make the difference for you as you perceive it. the thing is. does the tension rise for the characters?)

Rossing

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about rising action, worry about rising tension. You can add more and more tension after the big action is over. Works just fine.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Is this story about suspense or about relationships?

Now that's an insightful question.... I think. ;) Can a novel be about both? Because a suspenseful event brings relationship problems into sharper relief, yes?

If it's about relationships, then mine collapse, dramatic as it is, is only one complicating incident. So no violation.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Surely the lack of air and progression from okay we're going to live to okay we're going to die is a rising climax? It's a rising stake for sure - for them and the people waiting for them.

Yes, I see. there's also a ticking clock here (or, it'd be easy to set one explicitly) Thus: mine collapsing: bad. Death: worse.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

Depends how you handle it, obviously, but it looks to me like the tension/stakes rise as the book goes on ( that you know the end may make the difference for you as you perceive it. the thing is. does the tension rise for the characters?)

This. You can call it rising action or raising the stakes. Whatever you call it, you're doing it within this story. You have characters who have normal tensions--the loan shark is slightly above normal but a stake readers can understand--finding themselves in a situation where the risks to their survival rise almost by the minute. Then you show the rescue attempts and the business decisions behind them. The tension for your reader is there. You're adhering to the principle, not violating it, IMO.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Your (what I think) plot structure:
--
................--
....---------..--

..-

Is this close?

I'm having Morse Code flashbacks! ;) I'm more used to seeing the Freytag pyramid to graphically illustrate. Traditionally, it peaks at the center, but really, in today's fiction, the peak/climax is far over to the right.
Untitled.png

The way I structured Pretend Mining Novel, I was worried I'd dragged the peak to just left of the center point.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
aHA. Even this short discussion so far has made me think through the plot of my real WIP from a new angle and see chances for improving it further. It was okay this morning...but that central drama being so strong early on nagged at me. Now I can make it better tomorrow. Many thanks!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Personally, I think it sounds fine. The "stakes" are being raised (they're realizing they're going to die, they're running out of air, there's a 'ticking clock'), and these are just the miners. Keep in mind you're also showing their families' stakes being raised as well.

So, I think this is a Suspense story, but it's just not a "person trying to hurt another person/people" suspense story. It's more like a "Nature(or something similar) versus person", if that makes sense. Hope I helped. :D

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Worry less about the structure of things and more about just writing this. Write it. Feel it. Be there with them in the mine and above ground with the other characters.

I don't think about this stuff. I just write and it happens. And from what I've seen in your posts, you've got a good take on what happens, how and why. Forget the graphs, etc. Just write. Let it breathe on its own and don't try to fit into some formula or pattern or whatever.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm an analyzer about plot. I'm also writing, rest assured. (not this pretend novel I invented for illustrative purposes, my real WIP) But only if I understand structure can I do structure. People who "just get" complex structures, I envy! Me, I can "just do" character and dialog, but plot takes an analytical approach for me. We're all different writers, aren't we? Strange, but true.

And again, the feedback here helped me a lot. The book's going to be better for the thinking I was inspired to here, much more page-turning of a read. what fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.