THE 2006 REJECTION PLEDGE

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all,

This year, lots of us are pushing ourselves toward new publication goals. Rejections can sometimes suck the wind right out of our sails. However, I propose we turn the process of gathering rejection slips into something positive. I am proposing a Rejection Pledge.

Here is how it works: This year, choose a rejection goal for yourself. Maybe you are just starting out and are hesitant about submitting. You could set a goal to collect 2 rejection slips this year. Those who have been at this a little longer, can set their sights higher. (My goal this year is 100).

If you decide to take the pledge, edit your signature to look like mine. The fraction=number of rejections received/number pledged. Don't forget to update it when you receive new rejections.

Encourage others!

Barb

P.S. If you are a new to this thread, please take a moment to read the clarification in post #98 here before you post. Thanks!

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm in! Will have this in my signature as soon as I figure out how to get around the 500 characters allowed.
biggrin.gif

You can't publish if you don't submit. Take The 2006 Rejection Pledge
I took the pledge: 0/52

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm pledging. I'll start small -- I want 15 rejections! This, of course, means I have to have something to submit. I hope to be able to start submitting by August/September. :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Wait, I already thought it over. I'll make it 50 rejections, since I've already started submitting some short stories. I seriously hope I don't get to 50 rejections on my first year, but if I do, at least I'll know I tried :)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
DamaNegra said:
Wait, I already thought it over. I'll make it 50 rejections, since I've already started submitting some short stories. I seriously hope I don't get to 50 rejections on my first year, but if I do, at least I'll know I tried :)

Well, that's the point, isn't it :)

I'm looking at my spreadsheet for 2005 Submissions, and here's what I have:

Adult Novel MS: 35 Submissions. Of that, three agents and two publishing houses currently have the full ms in review. Twelve other agencies/publishers have not replied yet. That gave me 17 rejections out of 35 submissions.

Single article on how to make a Yule Log: 1 submission, 1 acceptance

Single article on Sacred Circle Gardening: 1 submission, 1 acceptance.

YA Novel MS: 9 Submissions, 1 acceptance. Two of the publishers never replied, so that's 6 more rejections.

Children's Picture Book MS: 9 Submissions, 1 acceptance. Only four of the others actually wrote back to turn me down, so that's 4 more.

Single article for homeschooling magazine: 1 submission, no response yet, but it was only sent out December 15th.

Oh yeah, and two essays submitted and accepted to Stories of Strength.

Obviously, even though I busted my butt last year, I had to work pretty hard just to rack up the 27 "no thanks" that I got.

Already this year, I've sent out queries on various manuscripts to a dozen publishers -- my plan is to get out at least 20 queries a month. If I do five a week, I should be good to go.

So try as hard as you can -- if 50 people reject you, that means you sent out probably two or three times that many submissions, and you're working hard!

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
I signed on the (virtual) dotted line, and changed my sig accordingly. :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea Barb!

Count me in. I pledge to gather at least 30 rejections in 2006. I've got a few submissions out there now, so I should be udpdating soon.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
In thinking about this, at first I thought I'd aim for 52. That's one a week. Then it was like, OK, but I've already decided to send out 2 queries minimum a week. So I guess I'm upping mine to 100. Yikes. lol.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea! I'm only a part-timer in my second year of this, so think I'll go with 30. Goes hand in hand with a weekly submissions goal (1). Off to go edit my signature...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm in. :) Like Pat, I'm definitely not full time at this, so I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna average a rejection a week--30 seems a good number to make me push myself a little, though.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Great. I'm in too. My problem in the past has been fear of submitting. But that all changed last year when I submitted two things in December. Still waiting.... My goal this year is to submit three magazine pieces a month (I'm not counting my newspaper stories)

ETA: I've changed my signature but it's not showing up - does it take time?

Edited second time: I don't know why - I counted 124 characters (spaces included) and I had already removed my SOS contributor logo - but once I removed the Sunny Smilie - it worked right away. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmm--nope, it should change right away, September. You might have to try it again.