• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] AC Literary (Arlene Cardoza)

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this agent. I can't find anything on the web. I do know she is in California. Someone has recommended I query her.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Are you certain that's the spelling? A general search on business licenses for CA doesn't bring up that name. If you have a city, I could drill deeper.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Opps, I did have the last name spelled incorrectly. Her name is Arlene Cardoza. Here's her website I just found. Not much on it. No sales that I can tell and she doesn't mention if she is a member of the AAR.

http://www.arlenecardoza.com/

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I've been able to find is at writers.net:

http://www.writers.net/agents/43227

And, not to say she's a scammer or anything, but this one paragraph made me wonder if she has any contacts in the publishing industry:

Arlene has been writing and studying the craft of writing all her life. As a writer, she understands and empathizes with the dreams of the potential authors. As a coach, business manager, and supervisor she understands the publishing houses desire to see their authors develop to their highest potential. As a career manager, she has the patience, organizational skills and tenacity to search for, help develop and submit only the best.

She may be totally legit; I certainly don't know. But in my mind, wouldn't a literary agent want to point out the publishing houses she's worked at or whatever other experience she has with publishers?

Good luck.

~Nancy

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
JerseyGirl1962 said:
And, not to say she's a scammer or anything, but this one paragraph made me wonder if she has any contacts in the publishing industry
My guess would be that she's sincere, but doesn't have a bit of experience and so can't be an effective agent.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
My guess would be that she's sincere, but doesn't have a bit of experience and so can't be an effective agent.

That was my take on it, too.

~Nancy

charisman1

Arlene Cardoza

I queried this agent and utifully waited the 2 months quoted on her web site withou reply. I re-queried Aug 28/06/ Still no reply. Do yu have experience with this agent?

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I would avoid anyone who identifies themselves as a "writing coach." That seems to imply she'll charge some sort of upfront fees for her "coaching."

charisman1

I am going to consider checking for typos before posting. The keyboard's difficult for thumbs only

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
A writer friend of mine was one of her clients. She has closed her agency apparently due to financial pressures. She never did sell my friends book.

charisman1

Thank you ByGrace. I'm ripped of course but figured something was off

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, charisman1. It is unfortunate. My writer friend was in the same situation. She hadn't heard a thing and began to get worried. Finally she received an email from Ms. Cordova. She was living out of her car.

I remember looking at her website when my friend recommended her to me and it I decided not to query her. She was not a member of the AAA nor did she have any sales listed on her site. I'm sorry for her that she got in this dire situation, and for the clients she said she represented. I warned my friend to find another agent but she stayed with Ms. Cordova. Months went by and wasted her time. The good news is she has just landed with a very popular literary agent that believes in her work. So don't loose heart.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
Back in March I queried Ms. Cardoza. While she rejected me she included a short note saying why. Her comment about my first chapter was accurate--a hard to spot plotting flaw--which showed some agenting skill. She invited me to rewrite and resubmit, but I guess that’s now in the past.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
JohnB1988 said:
Back in March I queried Ms. Cardoza. While she rejected me she included a short note saying why. Her comment about my first chapter was accurate--a hard to spot plotting flaw--which showed some agenting skill. She invited me to rewrite and resubmit, but I guess that’s now in the past.

That shows editing skill, not agenting skill.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

I am so happy that this is here as I sent out the query to her and received a response and don't want to get burned..

Glad this site is here and thanks for the input

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like she's active again (and traded Tripod for MySpace). She mentions on her main site that she works with Andrea Hurst Lit. Mgmt. on occasion, but I don't find any sales yet under her name.

djoerocks

Registered
Reaction score
Arlene Cardoza

It's a terrible thing to criticise anyone, worse to feel justified in doing so, then worse again to do it in a public forum ... and yet I shall, I do, and I will.
Writers, I suggest you'd do yourselves a huge favour by completely discounting Arlene Cardoza as a person to supply any of your work to.
At her request, I supplied her my manuscript in October 2007. It's now late February 2008, and Arlene Cardoza has basically vanished.
She doesn't reply to e-mails nor return telephone calls, and seems to ignore any messages I send to her Myspace site, even though she herself logs regularly onto her own page.
To me, she is a huge disappointment and seems devoid of having respect for anyone, probably even herself as well.
Also, Ms. Cardoza states in some bios she's being mentored by Andrea Hurst of Andrea Hurst Management ... If this were ever the case, it certainly is not now - and I have an e-mail from Ms. Hurst stating as much.
I don't like criticising individuals ... it's a karma thing, but Ms. Cardoza has wasted my time, and worryingly, only she knows what she's done with my manuscript and who else she's shown it to.
Writers, I'd suggest you'd do yourselves a favour...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
At her request, I supplied her my manuscript in October 2007. It's now late February 2008, and Arlene Cardoza has basically vanished.

I know nothing about her, but this isn't unusual for agents. They can take six months (or longer) to read an MS, and often don't respond to emails. The best thing for a writer is not to grant exclusivity, and to keep sending out queries. It may take as many as ten full reads to snare an agent.

As for sending material to agents with no sales and no publishing background, that's just a waste of postage.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's a terrible thing to criticise anyone

It's a very useful thing to notify people that someone who promises to deliver professional services is not performing as advertised. That's not a personal criticism--that's a consumer report.

je$$ica v.

Registered
Reaction score
arlene cardova

Does anyone know anything about Alrene Cardova. I found her web site easily and there is nothing negative on P&E that I can find, but I was wondering baout sales and successes. I see her authors listed but it doesn't really show a lot of info. Just wondering. I'm new to all of this.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean Cardoza? Presuming so, I've merged your question into the existing thread.