Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Kathl33n
Questioning Everything

Kathl33n has a spectacular aura
Grammatical errors in published works

I am reading books downloaded on my kindle and I am continually surprised at the amount of grammatical errors and misspellings. Does anybody else notice this and are you surprised at how many you see?

I see things like the word "on" where it should obviously read "of," the words "a while" put into one word (awhile), and periods missing at the end of sentences. Is this just how they are sometimes in Kindle format?
Kathl33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputation
Free books?
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Writerminded, I don' think it's (just) free, self-published or independently published ebooks that the OP is talking about.

Medievalist has said several times that major publishers used broken processes to convert their books to ebook formats, such as using scanning/OCR (yes, you read that correctly - they do that even though they own the original electronic copy), and such errors creep in.

On the other hand, I've just read a hardback copy of a currently popular book by an imprint of a major publisher on the future of the world and how wonderful it's going to be. I enjoyed it well enough, except that it has an "abundance" of typos and other errors. And sentence fragments (irony intentional).

This book isn't as bad as the OP describes ebooks, but this is a person with money and influence, and I would have thought the editing at the major publishing house would be better. If I had received the "final copy" of this book before printing I think I would have paid a professional editor or two out of my pocket to go over it, and gone over it again myself.

Printed books as a popular item are on the verge of going the way of LPs (which are still made, but sell in the millions instead of hundreds of millions). There's a small "resurgence" in LPs as people claim they "sound better." What they actually hear on old LPs is a greater dynamic range, an actual variation in volume between loud and soft parts, whereas modern pop recordings are "hypercompressed" and have the same "loud" volume all the way through. It's not the format so much as it is the processing.

I wonder that someday people will "rediscover" old books, that they have far fewer typographical mistakes than the commercially produced ebooks from the major publishers, and there will be a small resurgence in printed book sales (as if future-printed books would be more carefully edited).
Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Detri Redmond is well-respected
I've actually seen typos in regular books I've read all by big name authors...

Hostess, pfft! Reppies... now that's the
stuff.

"Write the book you love, without fear. " - AW member Toothpaste
Detri Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I also question whether the books are self-pubbed or free, because they usually don't have as much editing as traditionally published books. However, I have seen occasional errors in traditionally published works.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ben, you bring up some excellent points too.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Don Raden
Banned

Don Raden is on a distinguished road
Last night, I started reading Wendy Corsi Staub's "Scared To Death" and I noticed that "had" was repeated 3 times successively...And this is a printed book I purchased in National Bookstore here in Manila...
Don Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Hiroko
Which of them was the machine?

Hiroko is well-respected
"Self-published" and "traditional" books, electronic or print, all have mistakes pass on through the publishing gate at times. Professional or not, people can and do miss errors at some point or another.
Hiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroko View Post
"Self-published" and "traditional" books, electronic or print, all have mistakes pass on through the publishing gate at times. Professional or not, people can and do miss errors at some point or another.
Yes, but current (commercial) books have many more errors than books published years ago, apparently as a result of a lot less editing, copyediting, and other goings over than used to be done.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
Medievalist has said several times that major publishers used broken processes to convert their books to ebook formats, such as using scanning/OCR (yes, you read that correctly - they do that even though they own the original electronic copy), and such errors creep in.
I'm sure that some of the OCR scans are of books where there are electronic files, but that's far less common than cases where there aren't any electronic files at all. Those books have to be OCR-scanned. QA processes are improving, but they aren't all the way there yet.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputationWriteMinded has a golden reputation
Quote:
Writerminded, I don' think it's (just) free, self-published or independently published ebooks that the OP is talking about.
I wondered if there was a difference between the quality of freebies and the quality of payfors. I'm still wondering. Typos and misspellings are on a different level than grammatical errors.

Certainly there are errors in every book I read these days.

Quote:
I wonder that someday people will "rediscover" old books, that they have far fewer typographical mistakes than the commercially produced ebooks from the major publishers, and there will be a small resurgence in printed book sales (as if future-printed books would be more carefully edited).
I don't own a Kindle or any of those hard, little gadget readers. I love books. I can thumb through them, mark them, write in them, stick a thousand bookmarks between their pages, admire their covers, and store them on my shelf. I need more intimate contact than a cold, little gizmo can provide.

Last edited by WriteMinded; 07-14-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: comma
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Carlene
New kid, be gentle!

Carlene is a shiny, shiny jewelCarlene is a shiny, shiny jewel
It's my understanding that publishers used to have line editors that would edit books. No more - too expensive.

I, too, read a fair amount of FREE books on my Kindle Fire and most are god-awful. I think too many writers are in a hurry to publish and they don't want to take the time to learn their craft and do a good job. I teach beginning writing classes to adults at a local college and find most of my students don't even know how to set up a manuscript properly - but think they have a novel ready to publish.

Carlene
Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlene View Post
It's my understanding that publishers used to have line editors that would edit books. No more - too expensive.
Er, no.

I can only speak for Random House and Simon & Schuster, but my books go through multiple edits, including copy edits and proofing. Always. There are hundreds of publishers out there with their own processes, so it's dangerous to make incorrect blanket statements like this.

Human beings are imperfect. Errors always have, and always will continue to slip through into final books. It's a fact of life and a byproduct of books being manufactured by imperfect beings.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
I know that many of my old books (from falling apart old to 10-15 years old) have occasional errors in them. I don't remember catching a lot of them when I was 'just' a reader - but they glare at me now! As long as I'm not continually stubbing my toe over them - as they say, to err is human...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Darkwing

I occasionally find typos in the books I have on my shelf. Just the other day I found a simple extra word in The Amulet of Samarkand. One or two typos or other mistakes in a book doesn't bother me. If we're talking even one every few pages, though, I'd be very concerned that either the wrong copy of proofs went to printing somehow, or (if it's on my Kindle), I'm looking at a crappy self-published book.

Even the ARCs I've had the privilege of reading didn't have that many errors in them. An abundance of errors is, for me, inexcusable. I understand the occasional typo, but bad spelling and grammar will make me put down a book/delete a Kindle file faster than you can say "boo."

If people insist on self-publishing, I think they should hire a freelance copyeditor/proofreader to at least catch their glaring grammar and spelling mistakes.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
warofthesparks
I know what happened to Baby Jane.

warofthesparks is on a distinguished road
In my experience, the "free" ones (*cough* pirated *cough*) tend to have more errors than the ones purchased. I usually get retail from B&N and the epubs are relatively free of errors and exactly like the print editions. Like someone said, if the book doesn't have an electronic edition, like Agatha Christies and such, then they must be scanned in, introducing countless errors and weird formatting.
warofthesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I thought I was a line editor for a small publisher. Clearly I don't exist.
Parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Carlene
New kid, be gentle!

Carlene is a shiny, shiny jewelCarlene is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sorry, my bad info! I was not talking about self-published authors who have misplaced commas. I've read numerous books where the author switches from past to present tense, changes character names...things like that. Also the free books I get are on Amazon for Kindle. I don't go to pirated sites. If you check with www.worldlibrary.com - they have free downloads every day - through Amazon.

Carlene
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I wish people would stop saying this because it isn't true.

No they haven't stopped using line editors. Or copyeditors (line editor is not a professional title). Or Editors. Or proofers.

Most books from commercial publishers are edited, copy edited, and proofed. In the case of a non-fiction book, the book will possibly also have an indexer, and a tech editor.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
Occasional typos don't really bother me, even in Big 6 published books, even though I know they do extensive editing at several levels. I do notice them, but whatever.

Crap happens. Two typos in 80-100,000 words? Please. If I could get my WIPs that clean, I'd die happy.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Emily Winslow
Do Not Walk on the Grass

Emily Winslow is a shiny, shiny jewelEmily Winslow is a shiny, shiny jewel
In my experience, sometimes a correction at the copyedit stage can break a word elsewhere. For example, a change in a noun can require a change to a verb later in the sentence. If it's a long, complex sentence, it can be missed.

So, it's not that the writer wrote it wrong. One piece of the sentence was upgraded, and the other half not upgraded to match.

Better to get it all right, of course, but at the micro-stage of sweating over teeny-tiny things, this can happen. And then, there is just the last pass of the proofreader.

I suspect that obvious errors in well-edited books happen that way more often than that they were written wrong originally and nobody in the chain ever noticed.

"[Winslow is] brilliant at portraying the ragged fragments of these lives.
What emerges isn't a single killer with motive and means, but a tangle of stories crossing and colliding,
stray intersections of incidents and accidents, misunderstandings and misreadings,
all thanks to the myopia of individual perspectives and the self-centeredness of individual desires.”
-Washington Post
Emily Winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've winced more than once at an error in a book I worked on in production that made it to publication.

It's not that big a deal for a couple of tiny errors, though it's always upsetting to me when I'm responsible.

Now, if we're talking Laurell K. Hamilton levels of error, that's a big deal.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Last edited by Medievalist; 07-14-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've caught occasional errors in books going back years now. Usually the errors are small like an omitted preposition or repeated word. My kind of rule of thumb is two or three don't bother me, but more than that and I'd be ticked off and feel like someone's been sloppy. I don't recall that happening, though, in any purchased books.

Free books, on the other hand...

Facebook, Twitter
Website, Goodreads, Pinterest

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

Mr. Katz is a Zombie, lower MG - October 2014!
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

There's some vague "number of errors" that when exceeded in any one book it becomes a big deal.

For the example I'm talking about, you can download the first chapter here (must cough up email address to get it):
http://www.abundancethebook.com/

It's by Free Press, an imprint of Simon and Schuster:
http://www.amazon.com/Abundance-Futu.../dp/1451614217

Maybe they were in a hurry to get it to press, I don't know.

Also, it has innumerable sentence fragments, and from how many such fragments I've seen elsewhere, they're apparently becoming acceptable by the reading public.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Carlene
I don't think you have the right idea about what "line editing" is. Editors still read every line, and still fix every error they find. They also still line edit, when needed, but line editing isn't about fixing mistakes in grammar and punctuation.