• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JABberwocky Literary Agency (Joshua Bilmes)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
More than legit. Joshua Bilmes is a major SF/F agent. They passed on a partial of mine, but wrote a personal note with specific criticism - not usual for any agency - and responded in timely fashion.

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
This is a very respected agency. They did pass on my project, but I wont hold that against them. Mr. Bilmes is totally legit.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
in 2005, JAB represented 20 SFWA members, including Elizabeth Moon, Charlaine Harris, Simon R. Green, and Marjorie Kellogg. I think you can safely assume "legit." *g*

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
dragonjax said:
And Steve Mancino, another agent at JABberwocky, is FABULOUS.

If he was fabulous he would have taken my novel!!

But otherwise what James said. Highly regarded and very desirable as your agents.

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. His place on my "top ten list" is assured, then. I insist on being rejected by at least ten fabulous agents before settling. :D

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Steve is leaving Jabberwocky as of tomorrow, May 22. I was following up on a requested partial I'd sent about 4 months ago, and he just emailed me today to let me know it would either be inherited by his replacement (didn't give a name) or read by Joshua (who had given him my query in the first place, so I don't hold out much hope). I asked Steve if he was leaving for another agency and he said no, he's leaving publishing altogether. Sad news.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Joshua/JABberwocky is my agent, and they've done very well for me. They're especially good at foreign sales. They're currently closed to queries, presumably due to Steve leaving. (Steve was originally my agent, but Joshua will be keeping me on :) )

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Just got a request for a partial from Eddie Schneider at JABberwocky--associate agent, his title says. Weird thing--he asked to see 50 pages and "a good outline of the rest." Urp. I, uh, have a good synopsis, but I know an outline is a bit of a different beast...and I don't have one. Halp?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Just got a request for a partial from Eddie Schneider at JABberwocky--associate agent, his title says. Weird thing--he asked to see 50 pages and "a good outline of the rest." Urp. I, uh, have a good synopsis, but I know an outline is a bit of a different beast...and I don't have one. Halp?

If you've got a synopsis, you're all set. Usually, the only reason an agent wants to see a synopsis is to ensure that the author has written a complete story. Send the 50 pages and the synopsis. And good luck!

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
Eddie Schneider

Any update?

nyc_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering querying this agency, but it doesn't say on the website whether I should query one or the other agent specifically (I know usually you're supposed to), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to query. Any thoughts?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering querying this agency, but it doesn't say on the website whether I should query one or the other agent specifically (I know usually you're supposed to), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to query. Any thoughts?

I would just go ahead and send it to either. They probably ask each others advice anyway if they're interested.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Do check the site. But Eddie and Joshua do talk to one another, so if one feels the book is wonderful but a better match for the other agent, I suspect you'll be just fine. (I originally queried Joshua, but ended up working with Steve, who was Eddie's predecessor.)

Spassvogel

Dang, I wondered what happened to Steve. I was also asked for some pages + outline by him, and then never heard back, despite my SASE.

Wonder if I should re-submit.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried them recently and can share their turnaround time? Thanks.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Has anyone queried them recently and can share their turnaround time? Thanks.

They're fairly quick. I queried Joshua on 10/1 and received reject 10/10. Then I queried Eddie 1/5 (different book), received request for partial 1/17 via snail mail, then reject 2/6.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got an 8-day rejection from Eddie on a snail query. Pretty quick.

privatepook

Yes, I'm totally into that..
Registered
Reaction score
Eddie Schneider has had my partial for over two months. That seems like a long time for him, especially considering he responded to my last partial in less than a month.

Anyone know if it's okay to send a status query via email even if the partial was sent via snail mail?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Eddie Schneider has had my partial for over two months. That seems like a long time for him, especially considering he responded to my last partial in less than a month.

Anyone know if it's okay to send a status query via email even if the partial was sent via snail mail?

Are you sure that it was received? If you have delivery confirmation, I would say yes, you could send a status check on a partial at 8 weeks via email (even if all communication has been via snail mail). Good luck!