Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19361350

I really really hope that they do find Richard's remains and are able to give him a proper burial.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That sounds interesting, though I really doubt that they will find his bones - there is a lot of ground where he might be, and pinning their hopes on one spot is rather optimistic. I hope they do, I just won't be holding my breath...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder how they know he's under the tarmac. It's a small space surrounded by buildings. What will they do if it turns it he's under a house? Or the next door block?

And I'm puzzled as to why they are doing this.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Well, he was king of England.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
William Haskins
i'm down here for your soul
Absolute Sage

Location: murder takes the wheel of your cadillac and death climbs in the back
William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
there's some cosmic justice to his bones being as lost to the ages as those of the nephews he had murdered.
William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
mirandashell

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post

Yeah so? We don't usually go around digging up our Royals. And we've had more than enough of them.

And if they do find bones, how will they prove they belonged to Richard?

I don't know. Just seems a bit pointless.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We don't know for sure that he had his nephews murdered.

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
William Haskins
i'm down here for your soul
Absolute Sage

Location: murder takes the wheel of your cadillac and death climbs in the back
William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
We don't know for sure that he had his nephews murdered.
of course not.

he didn't display their heads on pikes, but most historians are hard-pressed to find anyone with more of a motive for having them out of the way.
William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Shakesbear

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
I wonder how they know he's under the tarmac. It's a small space surrounded by buildings. What will they do if it turns it he's under a house? Or the next door block?
I've just done a Google satellite thingy and if I looked at the right place then there is quite a lot of space for them to dig in. Also, there is some more information here http://news.leicester.gov.uk/newsArc...l.aspx?Id=1665 about the research methods they will use. GPR - ground penetrating radar and "map regression analysis to identify the likely site of the church where Richard was buried".

There are also methods of digging under houses, especially if they have cellars, that can be used. If they cannot dig then, in some cases, GPR can help them map out what is under the buildings

Quote:
I think it is because there are many challenges involved - using the science of archaeology, finding the exact location of the Greyfriars Church and the main one of finding the remains of a King.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Purple Rose
practical experience, FTW

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I don't know. Just seems a bit pointless.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
of course not.

he didn't display their heads on pikes, but most historians are hard-pressed to find anyone with more of a motive for having them out of the way.
Margaret Beaufiort? I'm a fan of Philippa Gregory's books and not ashamed to admit it.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Shakesbear

Quote:
Yeah so? We don't usually go around digging up our Royals. And we've had more than enough of them.
Shouldn't that be "I've had enough of them"?
Quote:
And if they do find bones, how will they prove they belonged to Richard?
DNA tests.

Quote:
of course not.

Been reading Shakespeare's RIII? Pure Tudor propaganda. Richard had no reason to dispose of his nephews.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
mirandashell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
Shouldn't that be "I've had enough of them"?
Errrmmmm no. That wasn't what I meant. I meant that it's not like we're so short of royalty we have to go and dig some up. We've had what? a thousand years worth? How much are we actually going to learn by doing this?

As for DNA, how many matching alleles will it take to prove it's Dick? How accurate can it be unless the descendant comes from a really inbred family......

I just don't see the point.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
How accurate can it be unless the descendant comes from a really inbred family......
Well, we are talking about royalty...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
As for DNA, how many matching alleles will it take to prove it's Dick? How accurate can it be unless the descendant comes from a really inbred family......
If you had a verified male line descendent, you'd be in with a shout. Otherwise he's just another dude from the Middle Ages.

EDIT: actually, that's not true. If you had a verifiable body of a close male-line ancestor/descendent of Richard, you could get pretty close to certain.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
mirandashell

The guy I saw on the news this morning that they will do the tests on is descended from Richard's sister, Elizabeth.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Archaeologist report

Item sought: remains of King of England
Items found: tin can (empty, formerly lima beans), license plate, leather workboot (no laces)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I wonder how they know he's under the tarmac.
Probably the same way they knew Jimmy Hoffa was buried under the end zone at Giants Stadium.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
firedrake
practical experience, FTW

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
there's some cosmic justice to his bones being as lost to the ages as those of the nephews he had murdered.
Says the Tudor propagandists.

I'd love to think they'll find his remains and getting a fitting burial. The man deserves it after history gave him such a rough deal.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
Yorkist
Banned

Yorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
Margaret Beaufiort?
Also, Henry Stafford.
Yorkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #20
Shakesbear

Quote:
Errrmmmm no. That wasn't what I meant. I meant that it's not like we're so short of royalty we have to go and dig some up. We've had what? a thousand years worth? How much are we actually going to learn by doing this?
Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining.
I don't think this is just about royalty, more about finding out about the past of the City of Leicester. Finding RIIIs remains would be a bonus. Digging up a car park would not get a lot of publicity but mentioning RIII does.

Quote:

I just don't see the point.
I think it is the University of Leicester who have traced a direct descendant of RIIIs sister. Said descendant was at the start of the dig. As for accuracy, Sir Alec Jeffreys is Professor of Genetics at Leicester University. He developed DNA fingerprinting and profiling so I would guess they know what they are doing.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
I think it is the University of Leicester who have traced a direct descendant of RIIIs sister. Said descendant was at the start of the dig. As for accuracy, Sir Alec Jeffreys is Professor of Genetics at Leicester University. He developed DNA fingerprinting and profiling so I would guess they know what they are doing.
How could you possibly know that you're the direct descendant of anyone living 700 years ago? One unreported adoption -- or one illegitimate shag if there's a male in the line -- and the entire line goes under.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Shakesbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
How could you possibly know that you're the direct descendant of anyone living 700 years ago? One unreported adoption -- or one illegitimate shag if there's a male in the line -- and the entire line goes under.
If you go from 1485, RIIIs death then it is approx five hundred years, not seven hundred. Lots of people can trace their families back further than that. As most property and lineage goes through the male then "one illegitimate shag" would not have made much difference. Unless of course it was the wife who cuckolded her husband. There has already been considerable research into Plantagenet DNA for example http://plantagenetdna.webs.com/richardiiisdna.htm according to this article, if I have read it correctly, DNA already exists for RIII. The last paragraph is interesting.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
Shakesbear

A week on . . .
Quote:
The discovery of medieval walls shows a search for the lost grave of Richard III is "on the right track", archaeologists have said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19436299

Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
calieber
Couth barbarian

calieber is a shiny, shiny jewelcalieber is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
Well, I didn't vote for him.

Projects for 2014:
Redo from start Those who Favor Fire
calieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
mirandashell

Was that meant to be a joke?