Scribacious September 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to September where we're salacious and scribacious and some other stuff as well!

This is the thread to get and give support for daily writing/editing goals. All other stuff goes in other threads, like the Braggatorium or Life of Crime and Chocolate. Thank you!

How did you do on your August goals?

What are your September goals?

I sucked at August. But September will be better! My goals are to finish the edit on the H&G book and submit to my agent, and then to get back to 500 words a day.

How about you?

PS Congratulations to Zelenka on winning the August Challenge big! Doesn't look like we've got many in for Sept. Let me know when you're all ready to do it again.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I also sucked at August. Bad month!

September - need to think about this. Depends on whether I get work.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Congratulations Zelenka! :hooray:

I'm in. I want to finish editing my draft this month.

August wasn't horrible, but I didn't get as far as I'd like. I spent the last week fighting with a scene that just might bring the whole thing crashing down around my ears.

Thanks for the thread, hj. You keep us all honest.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I won something? Didn't feel very productive in August but then I had the big interruption of the America trip, and subsequent international kitty adoption (Frankenstein is doing wonderfully, btw). I had wanted to do some side projects but none of that got done.

So September, I'm focusing on the rewrite and edits on the WIP, and my only real goal is to get at least the first full rewrite done, get it into some shape where I can then just get down to edits, not hacking and splicing and stuff. I'd like to have a draft ready to send to my friend / reader by the end of this month. Only one trip abroad this month so it should be feasible.

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. My August goals for my WIP cratered. I did make strides during the waning days of the month. My editor did have me jumping through her hoops on my upcoming release, THE DEVIL'S BLUES, which should hit the market by Thanksgiving. Still wrapping up the second round of edits, with a third beginning soon. Then galley proofs will follow. No excuses for not staying on track with my new tale and I'm shooting for at least 30,000 words during September.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love the tread title, HJ.;)

Congrats, Zelenka!:partyguy:

August was a disaster as far as words go, but it was a pretty good 'thinking' month. Allowing myself not to write was liberating and relieved a lot of pressure.

I'm still trying to finish my first draft and found I wasn't as close to the end as I though, but that's okay. I've found direction, and my characters are becoming more alive with every day that passes.

My goal for September is to keep moving forward. Ideally, I'd like to do 500 words a day.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That Horrible Rat B****** Chapter 20 is done and sent to my reader.

Now, for Chapter 21. After that, I at least have skeleton chapters I can use, so hopefully things will pick up.

Good words to all!

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I edited some yesterday. Not nearly as many pages as I wanted. But some!

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
I had a poor month on the novel, in August, but I am hoping for a better month this time round.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm not aiming for any words, but hopefully I'll have worked out the big "what is the story really about" thing by the end of the month. Just a little thing, really. :)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
No new words--just checking in.

Met my August goals by completing the draft. An ambitious goal for September would be to finish content editing.

And am starting that lovely process of daydreaming plot ideas for the next one. All those nebulous, fuzzy possibilities!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
And am starting that lovely process of daydreaming plot ideas for the next one. All those nebulous, fuzzy possibilities!

That's my favorite part - when the book is still perfect.

I'm not aiming for any words, but hopefully I'll have worked out the big "what is the story really about" thing by the end of the month. Just a little thing, really. :)

It took me a long time to answer that one. I'm not sure I can state it clearly, even now. There's some stuff in mine around the meaning of home, and what you're willing to do for your principles; but mostly I think it's "don't mess around with the old people." Not much of a tag line, is it? ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my readthrough of the ms. I still have a few problems to fix, but most of it is either figured out or nearly that.

I hate my notes though. One reads: "Intro G's LN early." Um... what? :Wha:

"don't mess around with the old people." Not much of a tag line, is it? ;)

Oh, I don't know. I quite like it. :D

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I finished my readthrough of the ms. I still have a few problems to fix, but most of it is either figured out or nearly that.

I hate my notes though. One reads: "Intro G's LN early." Um... what? :Wha:

:roll: That's marvelous! And of course now it can mean anything you want it to mean.

Oh, I don't know. I quite like it. :D

Yeah, me too. And I read this morning that most mystery readers are over 50 - so hey! I'm hitting my demographic!

1269 tonight. Onward and upward. No feedback yet from my reader on the previous chapter I hated so much. Darn reader - doesn't she know she's supposed to drop everything else in her life when I send her a chapter? :gaah :tongue

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Completed and put aside my rewrite of the neverending novella.

Began a new fiction, going very slowly and just telling myself the story, letting in all kinds of details that may not be story --

This morning, 275 words

Good luck to everyone along for the journey in September!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: That's marvelous! And of course now it can mean anything you want it to mean.

I'd prefer to know what it meant... :tongue

The other note that took forever to figure out was "protooo." It took a couple of days but it meant that I'd left out that little tick over the e in the word protege' and my pen was running out when I made the note. ::sigh::

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmonster

I'd prefer to know what it meant... :tongue

The other note that took forever to figure out was "protooo." It took a couple of days but it meant that I'd left out that little tick over the e in the word protege' and my pen was running out when I made the note. ::sigh::
:ROFL:

Did you ever figure out what "Intro G's LN early." means? Maybe we should have a guessathon?

Hmmm, Introduce Girlfriends lusty neigbour early?
Introduce, Gaylord's long nose...?:tongue

I managed 801 words over the weekend and a further 435 this morning. Today's words are more setting up my chapter and will probably be deleted as I flesh the scene out, but they're words and while they're there, they are being counted. :D

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Aiming for 1k a day, 5 days a week.

Today - 1200 words, bringing me up to a total of 18,009.

I think if I keep it going I can have the first draft two thirds done or entirely done by the end of the month. I'd like that.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Did you ever figure out what "Intro G's LN early." means? Maybe we should have a guessathon?

No! And yes, guess away! Help!

Hmmm, Introduce Girlfriends lusty neigbour early?

:eek: Oh my goodness. G is for Garrett. He does have a lusty neighbor. You may have hit on it! :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Managed to edit 2/21 chapters so far. I think I need a subplot but haven't figured what it can be. (So no actual words as such).

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1465 tonight. Tortured my heroine a little bit. It'll need some tightening, but I think it may work OK.

With a little luck...finish the chapter tomorrow, do some edits on Wednesday, and then maybe I can get back on schedule.

Fine, eloquent, and voluminous word vibes to all!

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
christy that sounds awesome!

Getting up to speed and closer, more intimate writing -- 1 780 words

I'd like to get into the habit or discipline of several thousand words a day now that I have mornings mostly free for fiction writing.