Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #76
SheilaJG
practical experience, FTW

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Good luck Krista! I, too, am intrigued - Historical science fiction? Is that like steampunk? Ooh, I'm hooked already.

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #77
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaJG View Post
Good luck Krista! I, too, am intrigued - Historical science fiction? Is that like steampunk? Ooh, I'm hooked already.
Thanks, Sheila! And yeah, the genre's kind of hard to nail down. Technically, I suppose it would qualify as steampunk in that steampunk involves taking futuristic technology and placing it in a historical time period, but calling it steampunk would conjure up the wrong images.

Basically, I researched the race to discover the chemical structure of DNA back in the early fifties and asked myself, "What if some less-than-scrupulous scientist skipped over the boring stuff and just tried to regenerate/clone something? And what if that something turned out to be a Japanese soldier?" So the story follows one family's attempt to overcome their prejudice and hate and make a place for this Japanese man in their lives.

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #78
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Way to go, Krista! I got a polite rejection on my ten pages, sent November 21. Moving on.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #79
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Got a response from Taylor M today on my full. Very nice letter with lots of feedback, which was so helpful. She loved my concept, but did not feel it was ready yet. She said she'd love to look at it again if I spend some time workshopping and revising. This is my second R&R for this novel, and I have another full still out. I feel like I'm getting close, just a little more work, and maybe it will be there. Hopefully.

Good luck to all who query her, she seems great to work with - quick responding, insightful feedback, and very nice.

Twitter
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #80
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
I queried Stephanie Von Borstel on 10/21 and got a partial request on 12/1. I just got a rejection, but it was from Sara Sciuto. She was incredibly complimentary, said she absolutely loved the writing and the voice, and would love to see a revision or future projects. But her problem was with a plot element I feel firm on, so moving on. But she was very nice, and I may query her with the next project.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #81
Anna L.

Anna L. has a spectacular aura
Sara requested the partial from a blog event I participated in.

Partial sent: March 2
Full request received: March 8

Fingers crossed that she likes the rest...
The Fox's God
Anna L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #82
Aubie
Live and let live

Aubie is on a distinguished road
I e-queried Taylor Martindale with 10 pages 2/24, and got a full request today. She said she really enjoyed the pages and would love to read more.

She's one of my top three agents. I'm beyond excited!

Good luck to everyone else waiting on queries or subs

too many trunked to count right now :0)

**WAR EAGLE**

Aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #83
SheilaJG

That's great news, Aubie! Fingers crossed for you. I just resubmitted to Taylor, and am pretty excited, too.

Now we wait . . .

Twitter
Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #84
LMT
figuring it all out

LMT is on a distinguished road
EQ - 2/29 - Sara Sciuto
Full Request 3/31. Full sent 4/1.

MG Fantasy

*fingers crossed*
LMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #85
Anna L.

For my full sent March 8, Sara sent a R&R request on April 15.

It's going to be tough (she wants me to remove and replace about 40% of the story) but I have to try it.
The Fox's God
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #86
LMT
figuring it all out

Congrats on the R&R, Anna L. Good Luck with your revisions.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #87
J.B.Kantt
Aspiring Young Author

J.B.Kantt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna L. View Post

It's going to be tough (she wants me to remove and replace about 40% of the story) but I have to try it.

Congrats Anna! Best of luck with all your revisions

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Waiting for contract (~51K words)

VAB: Outlined, will be written soon

ZA: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)
J.B.Kantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #88
Mustafa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mustafa is well-respected
Anyone query Ms. Dominguez lately? I did almost a month ago and no reply. Also, do you guys know if this is a 'reject from one is a reject from all' type agency? I got the impression there is an east and west coast division, but maybe that's not the case.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #89
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna L. View Post

Good luck, Anna!
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #90
Kandybar
Pondering Octopus Husbandry

Kandybar is on a distinguished road
Anyone know what we're counting as ten pages? Single-spaced, double-spaced? I don't want my query to get thrown out because I sent too much (or not enough).

Last sale: Til Death Do We Part (short story) - July 2011
Kandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #91
Mustafa

Mustafa is well-respected
I sent double spaced and rounded to the end of the chapter. I think I ended up sending 12 pages. I haven't heard anything though. Perhaps I sent too much.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #92
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a glorious beacon of lightTromboli is a glorious beacon of light
Queried Taylor today. Wondering if she can get over the fact that my characters name is Taylor!

She seems like a great agent!

Anyone heard from her lately? Her timing seems pretty sporadic. Wondering what to expect.

http://www.StaceyTrombley. com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Tromboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #93
LMT
figuring it all out

Does anyone have any recent response times for requested material from Sara Sciuto?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #94
Anna L.

Update: Sara ended up passing on my R&R but she said she'd like to see my next project. On the bright side the other agents who were sitting on the full almost all wanted to see the new version.
The Fox's God
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #95
Kmarshall

Kmarshall is on a distinguished road
Sara's had my partial since early July. Was wondering if anyone knew how long she takes with partials.
Kmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #96
tyrell

tyrell is on a distinguished road
I second this question. She's only had mine since last week...but I'm still curious.
tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #97
tyrell

tyrell is on a distinguished road
Just saw this from Sara:

I do my best to respond to requested materials within two months. However, sometimes I do fall behind. If itís been more than two months, authors should feel free to check in with me via email and Iím happy to provide an update.
tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #98
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell View Post
Just saw this from Sara:

I do my best to respond to requested materials within two months. However, sometimes I do fall behind. If itís been more than two months, authors should feel free to check in with me via email and Iím happy to provide an update.
My timeline (hope it helps)!

July 26, 2011: Submitted Query/Partial
August 3, 2011: Sara requested full
August 3, 2011: Submitted full
August 10, 2011: Sara rejected MS but explained her reasoning, and was willing to accept R&R
October 4, 2011: R&R submitted
January 28, 2012 : Nudged
January 31, 2012: Sara replied to say she was behind on her reading
October 22, 2012: Nudged again but have pretty much given up hope on this one!

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #99
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For those waiting on a response from Sara: don't give up!

She replied to my nudge and said my MS slipped through the cracks but promised to get to it as soon as possible.

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #100
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
That's great, Rowan!

I queried Stefanie von Borstel on 9/27 and got a full request on 11/2. Not expecting to hear anything soon, but at least it's out there.