Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Pandora Lee
I <3 books.

Pandora Lee is on a distinguished road
Any QUILTBAG folks writing straight fiction?

So, rather to my surprise, I find myself writing romance... heterosexual romance. Kinky heterosexual romance, but still. My characters, they are straight. Okay, one of them is bi, but this plays very little part in the story.

In part I'm doing this because it's more marketable, but also... I don't know. These were the characters I wanted to write about. But I feel like I'm being disloyal, somehow.

Anyone else in a similar position?
Pandora Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It would be insanely unrealistic if all my characters were asexual...

I'm human, but most of my characters (so far) aren't.
I'm a woman, but some of my characters aren't.
I'm not a fairy who speaks only in fart noises, but, well, you get the picture, yeah?
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Pandora Lee
I <3 books.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
Yes, of course.
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Anninyn
Stealing your twiglets.

Anninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Yep! I'm bi, and not all my characters are. While I want (and try to write) more diversity in fiction, the characters are just who they are, sometimes.
Anninyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussurus View Post
These were the characters I wanted to write about.
Then that's what you should be doing. It would be disloyal not to write about them.
Gale Haut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
Pandora Lee
I <3 books.

Thanks, folks.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep.

Don't let yourself get browbeaten by the "you're being disloyal to the community" crowd. Write what you want, and plan your career to suit yourself.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Pandora Lee
I <3 books.

Thanks. But just to be clear, this is just my internal wibbling, not anything I'm hearing from anyone else.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
Lady_R
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lady_R is on a distinguished road
I write both, I have never worried about it. It depends to me on the story, not who I am wanting to sell to.
Lady_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, right now I'm on a gay trend, but I didn't start off writing gay characters at all, so I say just go with where your characters and stories take you!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
WritingIsHard
figuring it all out

WritingIsHard is on a distinguished road
Two of my main characters in my major projects are straight. One isn't. I did consider at one point going into writing straight-up to the lesbian romantic fiction market, but whatever ideas I got for that I ended up thinking "wow, that would make a great fantasy novel...". So yeah, that didn't work out
WritingIsHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
(tongue in cheek)

To my shock and horror, it looks like two of the opposite-sex characters in my story could end up together. I'm not sure what I should do. Do you think many publishers would accept an opposite-sex couple? Maybe I should change one of their genders so it's more likely to be accepted? Will everybody think I'm straight or something if they read it?

(end of tongue in cheek)

Yep, looks like I got a straight romance coming up in my book.

(EDIT: Hopefully everyone has seen enough of the reverse to get the joke. And it was meant light-heartedly and humorously, not critically.)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Corinne Duyvis
My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
Yup. The last two books I wrote (including the one in my sig): queer romance. I haven't decided on my next book yet, but I think most of the ones I'm considering feature straight+cis protags. There's not necessarily a romance involved, though, and I think I'm incapable of writing a book without at least one significant queer character, even if they're not a main character.

That said, I do try to make an effort to feature underrepresented protags. Not because it's my Duty as a Queer/Disabled Person *salute*, but because clearly, not enough other people are doing it, and the world needs it, and because it makes my books more realistic.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
(tongue in cheek)

To my shock and horror, it looks like two of the opposite-sex characters in my story could end up together. I'm not sure what I should do. Do you think many publishers would accept an opposite-sex couple? Maybe I should change one of their genders so it's more likely to be accepted? Will everybody think I'm straight or something if they read it?

(end of tongue in cheek)

This made me smile. Definitely get it.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
Heh. I'm bi, but married to an opposite sex partner. I get enough het in my own life! So there are sometimes het subplots in my books, but more often if I'm writing anything het with the protagonist it's because they can swap genders or something entertaining like that.
fadeaccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
K. Trian
J'decline l'honneur d'être un angel

K. Trian is well-respected
It's nice when a book sometimes almost writes itself
Good luck with your story, and I hope you'll have fun writing it!

Our tactical center on the interwebz can be found and followed here: http://tktrian.wordpress.com/

Sci-fi -- fantasy -- horror
K. Trian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
DiloKeith
Doesn't scare easily

DiloKeith is a glorious beacon of lightDiloKeith is a glorious beacon of lightDiloKeith is a glorious beacon of light
I'm a bi female and more attracted to women. I write erotica, and for reasons I won't try to explain, I don't like reading and writing about women having sex, regardless of the partner's sex. I love writing about kinky gay/bi men. For a story based on real events involving three women, I changed two of them to men. I had to change them back to submit it to a lesbian anthology.

I've written straight characters, but in my limited writing time, I don't do much of it. Reading and writing LBGT characters is a way for me to escape from the non-LGBT (and sometimes anti-LGBT) community I'm now living in.
"Consequences" -- forthcoming in Blush
Visit my website for details - Adults Only

DiloKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
J.S.F.
Red fish, blue fish...

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm straight and just signed a contract for a book with lesbian/transgender overtones. Does that count for anything?

To me, gay or straight or bi matters little. If I can like the character then it really doesn't matter what his/her sexuality is or what race he/she is. Good is good, period.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
KSavoie
practical experience, FTW

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
I am currently writing a straight romance, although I'm gay. However, my novel does have a lesbian couple in it.

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Apocalyptic - Trunked
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Beta-ing/Revision Round 3
YA LGBT Speculative Fiction-Planning for Nano
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Anna_Hedley
Fuelled by tea and crumpets.

Anna_Hedley has a spectacular aura
Yes. I'm bi and I write gay, lesbian and het erotica. My first published short story (the one in my sig) is het erotica, my first book coming out in June is gay romance and I'm working on a lesbian steampunk novella.
Anna_Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote