January First by Michael Schofield *some spoilers*

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading this remarkable and exhausting book and was wondering if anyone else had read it? It's about a little girl called Janni who develops schizophrenia at the age of 3 and develops hundreds of violent invisible friends who tell her to throw herself out of windows and to kick and punch her little brother, father and mother.

It's a true story and Janni has been featured on Oprah, 60 Minutes, and a load of other shows and newspapers. The book is written by her father and is brutally honest about his mistakes (including shaking her in frustration when she would not sleep as an infant and his suicide attempt and a moment when he considered smashing his car with Janni in it)

I could not put this book down and finished it in 3 days. I don't know how this family managed to stay together. Michael is an extremely loving parent who wants nothing more than for his daughter to be alive and to live in the same world as him. He is a bit of a narcissist though and spends the book thinking that he is the only person in the world fit to handle Janni. The book is not just about Janni but his own struggles with his temper, his own up bringing, the mistakes he's made being a father to Jani and his struggles to be the perfect parent.

It was an astonishing read. Loved it!