To note the fashions – of the Cross –
And how they're mostly worn –
Still fascinated to presume
That Some – are like My Own –

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotta say that I found the dashes distracted from the piece for me also. For me, punctuation is important in many poems because they help guide the reader's eye down the right path of the poet's thoughts.

In this poem, they were like false herrings. In my mind, a dash usually denotes that the following thought is an extension or an amplification of the preceding statement.

With the way she has them presented, my mind automatically flowed in a certain cadence but was continually interrupted and, in the end, it inhibited my enjoyment of the poem.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Au Contraire

I liked the dashes etc. because I can hear her pausing, thinking, wondering, collating her thoughts about the topic, which is so open-ended.

Thanks. I'll have to read it several more times.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Jill said... I gave it a five. I've never read that one and it killled me. It's a theme I've wanted to write about for a long time, but never knew even how to begin. Wow.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. IMO the capitalizations and some of the dashes are distracting, though.

Like Jill, I'll be reading over this one and contemplating it more. It grabbed me from the very first line and held me to the end.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought, at first, that the dashes would distract. Then, the assonances bothered me.

But, by the middle, I felt that they helped convey the author's desperation. The dashes, to me, sounded like the halting, gasping speech of one who's still sobbing and can only get the words out in bursts between convulsive wails.

The assonances, to me, gave the effect of a chord slightly off: they created a tension that heightened the sense of discomfort, of unease. The sort of effect that Thelonious Monk got by hitting a 'wrong key'.

It's an extremely personal work. I'm not sure whether I identify with it, or I just want to, because the despair is so sublime. (The Smiths at their height did the same to me -- made me wish I really were that miserable.)

Excellent.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
I'm not sure whether I identify with it, or I just want to, because the despair is so sublime. (The Smiths at their height did the same to me -- made me wish I really were that miserable.)
That's a funny observation and so true, the idea of wanting to be unhappy because an artist is so good at conveying the depth of that pain, because you want to experience emotions as fully.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I liked this poem quite a bit, and I gave it a 4, but I have always felt that something is just slightly "off", sound-wise, in Dickinson's poetry. I can't put my finger on it, but it never flows very smoothly for me. Nonetheless, there is so much more redeeming in it, that I went with 4.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
skylarburris said:
...but I have always felt that something is just slightly "off", sound-wise, in Dickinson's poetry. I can't put my finger on it, but it never flows very smoothly for me.

Yes, Dickinson is famous for this. She was a great poet, just not a great rhymer. What I've noticed from reading many of her poems is that she didn't seem to understand that in order to make one line rhyme with another line, that the 2 lines must have approximately the same number of syllables.

oneovu

Registered
Reaction score
I gave this three stars after one read, maybe because what was said moved me more than how it was said. But, after the fourth read, I wish I could change it to four stars.

I found the title most intriguing.

Whether this is correct in actual meaning or not, the poem stirred strong feelings of curiosity and self-discovery by proxy.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I like about this poem is that it makes me picture someone having an internal dialogue while they are interacting with others.

I'm sure that no one in Emily Dickinson's time ever spoke much about their "crosses" they bore, and yet she was able to see them during what, I'd bet, were superficial interactions and conversations.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm rather late with this (just now getting around to rating some of the poems), but I give this one a 4.5. I don't always comprehend a lot of her poetry, but this one hit a resounding chord with me when I was really depressed 6 years ago and not much else was getting through.

WondersWithin

Registered
Reaction score
I love Emily Dickinson in general, but this is not one of my favorites. I seem to trip over the words a bit and prefer a smoother flow.