• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Wanted: Contemp YA in Verse (~25,000), will swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't seen a request for one of these before, but I have a YA contemporary novel written in verse. Because of the format, it's actually quite short, about 25,000. I am willing to swap, but I'm an insanely busy grad student, so I would prefer something of a similar length, or at least not 100k. Also, nothing sci fi or fantasy because I don't really read that so I wouldn't be much help.

I haven't had my query critiqued yet (coming soon!) but here it is in case you're interested:

When fourteen-year-old Eden Thompson is given a promise ring from her dad, it’s easy to commit to remaining pure until marriage– after all, everything sounds true in her father’s voice and she has no reason to doubt her relationship with God. Then he dies and everything changes. Eden starts a poetry blog to cope with her distant mother and the increasing number of empty wine bottles in the kitchen, a habit that was first just a visitor but has now set roots. Online, she meets Mason, another poet. Sure, he’s six years older than her, but he’s somebody she can finally talk to since she dropped out of middle school to finish the year at home. He lost his mom when he was a kid and actually gets what she’s going through.

Ten months after her dad’s death, Eden starts high school and finds the friendships she’s been missing. But they don’t change the connection she feels with Mason. So when he suggests meeting in person, she knows the only answer that isn’t a goodbye is to agree. Besides, maybe her dad was a bit too strict with his ideas about boys, and it’s not like she can ask him. Mason and her are just friends.

Until they aren’t. Until the temptation of his body and the sensation of his fingers under the hem of her shirt have her feeling more alive than she has since her dad died. As she struggles with desires and doubts, Eden has to figure out what exactly she believes: about purity, about God, about her dad, and most importantly, about herself.

I'm willing to send you something like a thousand words to get an idea if you're concerned about the style or writing. Any other questions, of if this interests you, please let me know!

Thanks!

ETA: Here's the first nine hundred-ish words
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258623

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.