Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
jasperd
practical experience, FTW

jasperd is well-respected
Full-time writers, how many hours per day do you spend writing?

Incuding anything that pertains to writing.

I'm just curious.
jasperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
phantasy
Let me tell you a Story...

phantasy has a spectacular aura
I wish I could tell. My first drafts are bare-bones, just trying to get a feel for the chapter. 2500 words isn't the hard part. It takes me a couple of hours but I know its all over the place.

Dialogue guides the story and is probably easiest for me. I spend hours editing and fixing, inserting more information throughout the novel. I go back to the outline and add more important information. Then I go back to the chapters and switch out words and phrases.
phantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

LBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewelLBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewel
When I'm in the groove, about six. In two-hour blocks.

Available at all major e-retailers Disciple, Part IV on sale now!

Samples at my book blog: Disciples of the Fount Writing blog: Notes from the Jovian frontier Twitter: LBlankenship_sf
Creative Services for self-publishers: covers, ebook formatting, and more
LBlankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Barring deadlines, five hours per day, five days per week of actually writing. Hard to know how much I read. At least four hours per day, but I usually have a book with me wherever I go, so how it all adds up is just a guess.

Varies forms of research varies from week to week, and much of it is included in my reading, but usually a Saturday takes care of everything. Throw in another three or four hours of keeping up with e-mails, blogs, etc., and that's about it.

And it's hard to count to reading as part of my writing business. Reading is incredibly important for a writer, but were I not a writer, I'd be reading even more. I read because I love to read, not because I'm a writer.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Including my day job, 10-12 hrs per day except on weekends and holidays when it drops to 2-4 hrs/day (yeah, I actually get paid to write).
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
With my day job, anywhere from 3-6 hours a day. With my creative writing, anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 to 2 hours, depending on the day, but I don't creatively write every single day.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Define "full-time".

I get about 4-6 hours a day of writing, about 2-3 hours reading. And that's between college and side jobs.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
jasperd
practical experience, FTW

jasperd is well-respected
By full time I mean able to support yourself from writing alone.
jasperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admiration
Anywhere from 8-12 hours per day, seven days a week. That includes writing, editing, reading, researching, and marketing (blogs, twitter, writing groups, etc.).

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
!MeMa!
figuring it all out

!MeMa! is on a distinguished road
it took all the day from me!!!
i mean i write for about a 2 hours per day, but somehow i feel like am possessed by the protagonist and the novel in general all i think about is the novel and how can i keep my own emotion and what i think about it away

@MeMa4ever1<<<< follow me!
!MeMa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
40 hours a week. Anything less is part time.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFire View Post
40 hours a week. Anything less is part time.

Jeff
Not for me. Twenty-five hours per week is full-time, and anything beyond this is overtime. I hate working overtime.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
My schedule is dictated by my kids' schedules. I write when they are at school or in bed. I get 6 to 8 hours of work time, 4 to 6 of which is actual writing/editing. The rest is various business and promotion stuff.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Oh, I don't make a living off my writing. I wish. For me writing is just a hobby. Entertainment. Just trying to get these characters' adventures outta my mind so they stop nagging me, constantly telling me to write what they're doing. But yeah, I am a full time writer, if you're talking about how many hours one spends writing, because I don't have a job, and I write 6,000-8,000 words a day. Sometimes I do 1,000 words every hour, sometimes those 1,000 words take me 30 minutes to do. It all depends. So it's anywhere from 3-6 hours a day for 6,000 words. Depends on how energetic I am at the moment and how fast I type.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Barbara R.
Old Hand in the Biz

Barbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admiration
I "rest" between books. But when I'm actually writing one, it's 6-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.
Barbara R. is offline   Reply With Quote