Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #276
JamesAllen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Smile Submissions Editor for Samhain?

Do you guys know which editor to direct a submission to? I see at the site that there is a submissions link and a short list of names of some of the editors at Samhain, but I'm not sure whose name should go in the "Dear Ms. --"

Who did you send your subs to? Thanks for your help.
JamesAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #277
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The submission link says they are closed to submissions: "Samhain is temporarily closing to open-call submissions, due to the volume routinely received and that we are heading into conference season."

When they are open I believe you are meant to use the generic email editor@, in which case I imagine the letter would be addressed 'Dear Samhain Editor'? Unless it is for a special call in which case you can use the name given for that project.

Last edited by veinglory; 08-06-2007 at 12:28 AM.
veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #278
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep, once the submission is received it's routed to an editor. You don't know which one, so I'd stick with 'Dear Editor' or something. I can't for the life of me remember what greeting I used.

When they re-open.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Watch this space!

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #279
Sonarbabe
Working In A Coal Mine...

Sonarbabe is well-respected
I addressed mine to Christina Brashear, but it was routed to Carrie Jackson instead. No one said anything about it since there was no specific editor to address. Plus, I'm sure they're used to that. Fine by me. Carrie is an absolute doll to work with.

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.
Sonarbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #280
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeppers! She's the best.

There you are, Monica! I haven't heard from you in forever, I was starting to wonder what happened to you.

I tweet

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #281
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for the great info, everyone! I submitted to Samhain today. I wonder if they'll be swamped!
seaaircarol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #282
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Yep, I just saw on MySpace that they're open to general subs again as of today.

Have at it and good luck!

I tweet

Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #283
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And they're off! Clean break from the gate, and it's seaaircarol in the lead, with Chumplet coming up fast on the outside.... and down the stretch they come! I'd better get cracking and submit.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #284
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for the good wishes, Christine, and good luck, Chumplet!

I didn't get an auto-reply yet, but I'm trying not to fret. I think it's because they had to change their old message.

However, I'll be interested to know if you get one, Chumplet.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #285
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

I finally got an auto-reply, but it says they're still closed to subs. However, I checked out Angie's blog, and she says not to worry about it--they're still changing the message.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #286
Chumplet

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine was the standard auto-reply, and it's been updated with a 10-12 week response window. Good luck to all of us!

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #287
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Aprylwriter is on a distinguished road
I just saw that on myspace too! Whoot whoot!

I'm probably going to send my submission in by the end of the week, just to make sure everything is 100% perfect, or as good as I can make it.

Apryl

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Aprylwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 AM   #288
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Good luck, Apryl!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #289
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sent mine in (think they're tearing their hair out yet ) and the auto responder said they were still closed. But, me being glass-half-full just thought "Not what the website said. Bet they haven't changed it yet."

How's that for positive??? So unlike me

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #290
JamesAllen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
I sent them a partial today. I wonder how many of their editors read the gay romance submissions. Do you think if there's only one editor working on them, it will take much longer than average to hear back?

Also wonder if all the First Line Contest submissions went back out today. If so, then they must be swamped.

Last edited by JamesAllen; 08-07-2007 at 05:54 AM.
JamesAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #291
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Thank you Seaaircarol!!

Good luck to everyone who is submitting to them.

Apryl

Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #292
Chumplet

I got my rejection today. But it was a GREAT one!

"We thank you for giving Samhain Publishing the opportunity to review your work for possible publication. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the manuscript that prevent us from offering a contract. (Offer contract? On a partial?)

You write very well, and I was intrigued by the professional hockey backdrop to your story. (Yay!) However, from your partial and synopsis it seems that the villain, Sheila, takes up a significant amount of the book. Given her drug-addiction issues and the amount of space devoted to developing her story, I would hope to see her redeemed in the end, at least partially. Unfortunately, it seems she remains a one-dimensional villain, even capable of killing innocent children in her jealous pursuit of a boyfriend. (Darn...) My main concern is that the hero’s involvement with and sympathy for a woman like this calls his own strength of character into question. (Oops, gotta beef up this hero guy!)

While this particular story did not work for me, I do appreciate your submission to Samhain Publishing and wish you good luck in the future."

Now, I call that a helpful rejection! I'll consider her comments, but keep in mind that another editor requested the full based on the same partial and synopsis.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #293
Sonarbabe
Working In A Coal Mine...

Sonarbabe is well-respected
Sorry to hear that you were rejected, Chumplet. However, that was a very "nice" rejection. My editor turned down my second submission to her, but she gave me some wonderful reasons. (Wow...real honest to Gosh reasons for rejection!) I hope you have better luck with those fulls!!

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.
Sonarbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 AM   #294
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, condering how inundated Samhain must be, for them to send you such a great crit is beyond exemplary. I love it when I get enough information that helps me to really size up my story and see some faults. And of course it's always nice to have your strengths pointed out to help with that ole ego thing.

Samhain. The Force is strong with this one.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #295
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Tri, you have no idea

I tweet

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #296
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gay romance is a major subgenre at Samhain. If anything I imagine they would have more editors in that area
Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #297
ixchel
figuring it all out

ixchel is on a distinguished road
I got a quick rejection too.
ixchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #298
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Ixchel, how long did it take for them to reject your submission? I haven't heard back from them yet. Mine has been with them since August 8th, but it says it'll take 8-10 weeks for a response.

Does anyone know if Selena James (from Kensington) and Angela James are related? Just wondered, since their last names are the same.

Apryl

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #299
Chicken Warrior
Ahead of Your Time

Chicken Warrior is a glorious beacon of lightChicken Warrior is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting...I wonder.

I'd definetly like to try Samhain with one or two novellas; it seems like there are very few titles with no romance whatsoever (any?). Is it worth sending them other stuff?
Chicken Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #300
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I can tell you that I was rejected outright for two SF and two Fantasy novels (four total) that all had tepid romance/sex scenes. I just get the impression they like it hot, like their coffee. Once again, Paranormal Romance is showing its glorious face and popularity. Not to say that straight romance isn't a big market for them.

I wonder if they have the power and reach to eclipse Ellora's Cave, if it hasn't already happened. I like nothing better than to see original e-pub companies go print and cop good distribution. Says a lot about the future prosperity of the small press.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote