Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #326
JamesAllen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
Yeah, I submitted on that first day. I also got the reply from the auto-responder saying they weren't accepting manuscripts yet.

And, no, it wasn't a revision. I just decided to send the full because they said it was okay to do that.

No worries. I've sent it to Wild Rose--this time, it *is* a revision. They'd expressed some interest earlier this year. Fingers crossed.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!
Thanks, seaaircarol! Oh what I meant was did you resub to Samhain after they returned your manuscript with comments.
Good luck with Wild Rose!

And thanks, Sonarbabe, for the inside information.
JamesAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 AM   #327
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAllen View Post
Thanks, seaaircarol! Oh what I meant was did you resub to Samhain after they returned your manuscript with comments.
Good luck with Wild Rose!

Thanks. And no, it wasn't a resub. It was my first try at submitting to Samhain.
seaaircarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #328
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Aprylwriter is on a distinguished road
Just thought I'd let everyone know......Samhain responded and they want to see my entire manuscript.

Apryl

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Aprylwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #329
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

David McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprylwriter View Post
Just thought I'd let everyone know......Samhain responded and they want to see my entire manuscript.

Apryl

WOOP! Congrats, Apryl.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #330
Saundra Julian
A work in progress

Saundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Way to go, Apryl, congratulations!
Saundra Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #331
JimmyD1318
THE POPCORN MONSTER!

JimmyD1318 is a glorious beacon of lightJimmyD1318 is a glorious beacon of lightJimmyD1318 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Apryl
Good luck! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

My new book:A Night at Death's Door
http://www.amazon.com/Night-at-Death...8166270&sr=1-2
Popcorn anyone? MUNCH! MUNCH!
Hey look! I'm on TV!
JimmyD1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #332
JamesAllen

Smile

Quote:

Apryl
Oh yayyy! What a good way to start the weekend. Congrats, Apryl!
I hope you get a quick yes on the full.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 AM   #333
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Apryl

Woo hoo! Here's a dancin' Snoopy to celebrate!

Keeping fingers and toes crossed - would cross my eyes, but my mother always said they'd stay that way if I did!

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #334
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Thanks very much. I'm gonna send it out this week and I'll let you know when I get a reply from them.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #335
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck from me, too. Go get 'em!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #336
Josie
practical experience, FTW

Josie is well-respected
Good luck, Apry.

keeping my fingers and toes crossed when I'm not typing, at least with my fingers.

Cheers, Josie

Can hardly wait to hear
Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #337
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Thanks!! I'm gonna send it out this week.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #338
Saanen
Inappropriate Charmer

Saanen is a glorious beacon of lightSaanen is a glorious beacon of light
I got a reject on my request for full this week from Samhain, but it was such a great reject that it was almost (almost) as good as an acceptance. Lindsey McGurk had my fantasy for only three weeks or so before I heard back, so it could be they get fewer submissions of SF and fantasy than other genres so the turn-around times are faster. I must say, Ms. McGurk seems like a fantastic editor--she completely pinned the problem with my manuscript and I'm actually having fun going through and fixing things--and she's very professional and seems quite nice.

Emily, do you have any tips on what Samhain's looking for in the fantasy genre at the moment? I mean, tips besides "read my book," which I'm intending to do anyway.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #339
JamesAllen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
I got a reject on my request for full this week from Samhain, but it was such a great reject that it was almost (almost) as good as an acceptance.
I'm sorry you got a rejection, Saanen, even if Samhain's rejections are less painful than others. :hug: Glad you're having fun revising, though. I hope you get the acceptance on the next go-round.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 AM   #340
Josie
practical experience, FTW

Josie is well-respected
Sorry about your rejection, Saanen.

Nothing original I can say except "keep chugging along", which I'm sure you are doing

Cheers
Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #341
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

David McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for President
Sorry to hear it, Saanen. I'm still waiting for my response.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #342
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sorry, Saanen... and ditto the keep trying...

Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #343
Aprylwriter
i am dragon. roar.

Thank you, Josie.

I'm sorry about that, Saanen....keep trying!! And definitely listen to the Editor's feedback, they know what they're doing rofl.

Apryl

Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #344
Lady Fae

I was hoping I would find information on this publisher. I just introduced myself in another post but I submitted to them on 9/25. Wish me luck .

Lady Fae
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #345
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Hi Lady Fae and to AW!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #346
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

Best O' Luck t'ye, Lady Fae!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #347
Soccer Mom
Crypto-fascist
SuperModerator

Soccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lady Fae and best wishes on the submission!

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti
Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #348
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

Well, the word is in, and that word is No.

Ah, well...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 AM   #349
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Sorry to hear it.

Did you get comments? One interesting thing that happened to me was first I got a standard rejection. Then, a few weeks later, I got a more detailed rejection, citing the problems they had with my ms. I asked if I could work on the issues and resubmit. Although they said no, they said they liked my writing and would gladly look at other submissions.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #350
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
Sorry to hear it.

Did you get comments? One interesting thing that happened to me was first I got a standard rejection. Then, a few weeks later, I got a more detailed rejection, citing the problems they had with my ms. I asked if I could work on the issues and resubmit. Although they said no, they said they liked my writing and would gladly look at other submissions.
No. I thought that was odd, too, because I have heard they usually do send along some form of critique or reasons for the rejection, but in my case that didn't happen.